Channel selector encoders

A forum for the discussion of matters of a technical nature. All such activities are undertaken at the readers discretion and own risk. If you don't know what you are doing, don't blame us if it all goes wrong!
cb4ever104
Legend
Legend

Channel selector encoders

Post by cb4ever104 »

Hi All !

Ever wondered what's inside your channel selector encoder ?

Well . Here's the inside of my Emperor Shogun's :)

Not much to them . Little cog , with 2 sets of contacts . Left pair get shorted one way , and the right pair the other .
IMG_20180901_193103.jpg
I presume the Lincoln is the same ? I'd never seen the inside of one , so I thought I'd strip it down to have a look . Mine is worn , so I'm going to replace it . It marked as an ALPS 517E . I haven't been able to track that exact model down yet . Does anyone know if these type are "incremental" encoders ? Mine is 4 pin , but the inside 2 are shorted together on my pcb , so a 3 pin might suffice . I could also replace the shaft maybe on another ALPS variant , if I can't find one that fits .

Sammy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
30TM060
Paul aka "Sammy". (108) PY60 Old Paisley DX Group (RIP Rab Markie)
Ex GM0 , now EA5 .
Handle "Fortune Hunter" back in "the day"
Radios ....? Anything that says "TAIWAN R.O.C" on the back.
astradyne

Re: Channel selector encoders

Post by astradyne »

The Lincoln is different Sammy.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Never, ever, ever....bloody anything ever!

Far too many radio's to list here. But I do own a legal one...
cb4ever104
Legend
Legend

Post by cb4ever104 »

Thanks for that Andy . I'd never seen the inside of the Lincoln one before . Mine is a bit more straightforward . Saying that , I still haven't found a replacement for it yet . I've sent ALPS an email , and I'm waiting for a reply . I'm pretty sure I should be able to find a 3 pin variant for mine with a common center pin . I'll post back with more info once I have it .

Sammy
30TM060
Ex GM0 , now EA5 .
cb4ever104
Legend
Legend

Post by cb4ever104 »

Just to add. Mine isn't really an encoder anyway , I think . It's more just a rotary switch .

Sammy
30TM060
Ex GM0 , now EA5 .
cb4ever104
Legend
Legend

Post by cb4ever104 »

In case anyone digs up this thread in 100 years . I'm pretty sure my switch is a variation of the ALPS SRBM1L1400 , but with a slightly longer D shaft . It took me a while to track some down , but I eventually bought 4 from China and I'm going to swap my D shaft over with one of the ones that I've bought .

Sammy
30TM060
Ex GM0 , now EA5 .
dt307
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 163dt307

Post by dt307 »

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MAGNUM-257-R ... AOSwPe1T3J~~

this is whats in my shogun just pull the metal "D" clip off the old knob and jobs done bro
163dt307-chris

“I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots.”
― Albert Einstein
cb4ever104
Legend
Legend

Post by cb4ever104 »

dt307 wrote: 10 Sep 2018, 20:05 https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MAGNUM-257-R ... AOSwPe1T3J~~

this is whats in my shogun just pull the metal "D" clip off the old knob and jobs done bro
Hi Chris .

Got 4 of them for a £10 from China , incl p+p . They already have a D shaft , but it might be slightly shorter , so I'll be replacing it with mine .

Cheers
Capture.JPG
30TM060
Ex GM0 , now EA5 .
dt307
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 163dt307

Post by dt307 »

let me know how it goes the more options the better
163dt307-chris

“I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots.”
― Albert Einstein
cb4ever104
Legend
Legend

Post by cb4ever104 »

Will do . Delivery time is between 30-60 days . I'm back home end of November , so I'll be able to fit it then . I'll let you know .
30TM060
Ex GM0 , now EA5 .
astradyne

Post by astradyne »

cb4ever104 wrote: 04 Sep 2018, 08:58 Hi All !

Ever wondered what's inside your channel selector encoder ?

Well . Here's the inside of my Emperor Shogun's :)

Not much to them . Little cog , with 2 sets of contacts . Left pair get shorted one way , and the right pair the other .

IMG_20180901_193103.jpg

I presume the Lincoln is the same ? I'd never seen the inside of one , so I thought I'd strip it down to have a look . Mine is worn , so I'm going to replace it . It marked as an ALPS 517E . I haven't been able to track that exact model down yet . Does anyone know if these type are "incremental" encoders ? Mine is 4 pin , but the inside 2 are shorted together on my pcb , so a 3 pin might suffice . I could also replace the shaft maybe on another ALPS variant , if I can't find one that fits .

Sammy
The Lincoln encoder, though a different design, works in the same way Sammy. But as we know they can be problematic. If any dust or dirt somehow manages to get in it will eventually find its way onto the contacts. Or the contacts will flex a little and stop making a good contact with the rotary disc. This causes the infamous erratic frequency skipping or no frequency change at all.

Very simple to cure though. Simply open up the encoder (on the Lincoln it means cutting off the four plastic locking tabs in the corners). Once you've done that you can easily remove the encoder disc, give it the once over to ensure there's no damage to the tracks, give it a good clean if it's checked out OK then pop it back onto the inner shaft of the unit. Next, carefully clean the copper contacts which are fixed to the back plate of the unit. You can also gently (and very carefully) bend the contacts forward ever so slightly so they make a better contact with the encoder disc. To secure the back plate in place (remember you removed the plastic tabs earlier) simply use a little hot glue in each corner and thats it, job done.

This repair has never failed to sort out the frequency change issue (prominent on the very early Lincoln's and 2830's) unless there are actually broken parts inside the unit.
Never, ever, ever....bloody anything ever!

Far too many radio's to list here. But I do own a legal one...
cb4ever104
Legend
Legend

Post by cb4ever104 »

Hi Andy .

Thanks for that . It's a repair that I've done often with basic channel selectors . I just hadn't seen the Lincoln one opened up before , but the main principle for repair is the same . I usually scrape the end of the metal pins slightly with a knife to improve the connection , and bend them slightly out a bit . Then clean out the circular sections with alcohol and reassemble .

As you can see the Shogun is different . I gave mine a clean before I opened it , but to be honest it just made it worse . A new switch will bring it back to life .

Sammy
30TM060
Ex GM0 , now EA5 .
cb4ever104
Legend
Legend

Post by cb4ever104 »

dt307 wrote: 13 Sep 2018, 00:53 let me know how it goes the more options the better
Arrived today . Perfect for the job . 20 position rotary ALPS . Same as the one that's in there , except for the shaft , which I'll need to swap over with mine . 4 for a £10 .
IMG_20181001_192536.jpg
Sammy
30TM060
Ex GM0 , now EA5 .