Gamma Ray graphics 148gtldx ?

A forum for the discussion of matters of a technical nature. All such activities are undertaken at the readers discretion and own risk. If you don't know what you are doing, don't blame us if it all goes wrong!
gmham
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 108TM154

Gamma Ray graphics 148gtldx ?

Post by gmham »

Guys anyone here fitted one off the gamma ray graphics front plate decals for the 148gtldx ? looks like I am going to struggle obtaining a decent faceplate for my 148gtldx restoration project so looks like its down to gamma ray, know his stuff is decent quality, anyone here bought one in the original brushed silver finish as per original ? any pics you could share ? any tips on for ordering ?
Yaesu FTDX10
Kenwood TS711e
Anytone D578UV Pro+

Moxon antenna for 10/20 mtrs

——
John - 108TM154 / 108CO154
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Re: Gamma Ray graphics 148gtldx ?

Post by The Collector »

Ray did my 148 gtl-dx front, although it's a 3900 sized one to fit the 3900's stepped bezel. If you go down this route then he should have mine on his system and he can adjust your colour and switch functions to suit your radio.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Snake Plissken
Regular
Regular

Post by Snake Plissken »

Snakeplates used to do the inlays, haven't seen any available for a while....I think the guy is a member on here (Russ?)...

I've never seen nicer ones...he used brushed alloy, and I think they look better than the originals!

I had 2 or 3 of them in the past, he did them in both 148 and 3900 bezel sizes....

I could do with another...maybe we need to PM him!!
Unidens (one or two)..
Cybernets (a few more)..
Stalker ST-9F DX Colonel FR360 Stag 357 Midland 79-900 Zodiac Tokyo Pegasus III Transceiver MkV
Cheiza CB702 workshop monitor :lol:
A few more, I forget...

Snake Plissken - Rescuing Presidents since a 1981 version of 1997 :D
gmham
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by gmham »

cheers guys yep really would like one off they snake plates, guessing the chap never had any more made up after the initial run ? thanks for the info regards gamma ray to be honest would have to see one in silver to decide if I wanted one on my project.
Yaesu FTDX10
Kenwood TS711e
Anytone D578UV Pro+

——
andymuza
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by andymuza »

I have 2 Gamma Ray Graphics decal on my 148s.

1st is a custom design.
StGeorge 148.jpg
2nd is a 148 look a like. It isn't perfect and has some errors such as the TX/RX being in the wrong order but it does the job.
GammaRay 148.jpg
Try and get a Snakeplates one if you can, they are fantastic but if you struggle then the offering by Gamma Ray will certainly make a 148 with a poor front look a lot tidier.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I will not be commanded, I will not be controlled.
n+1 the formula for working out how many radios you need with n being the current amount.
andymuza
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by andymuza »

Here is a photo of a Gamma Ray decal vs a marked original for a good comparison.

Sorry its a bit blurred but you get the idea of the differences.
Gamma vs Original.jpg
I will not be commanded, I will not be controlled.
n+1 the formula for working out how many radios you need with n being the current amount.
gmham
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by gmham »

cheers guys appreciatte the pics.
Yaesu FTDX10
Kenwood TS711e
Anytone D578UV Pro+

——
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

There was a decal seller that sold the 148 decal with a vertical brushed effect rather than horizontal. It might have been Deb's Decals in the US before she sold up and possibly sold on her designs to Ray. Avoid those, it looked pants in my opinion! ;)
astradyne

Post by astradyne »

Occasionally a Snakeplates front will pop up on eBay. That's where I got my second one from. It wasn't direct from Nameplates, but from someone who had bought it and not used it. Still has the white backing plastic on it.

I have a NOS 148 bezel which I'm going to fit it into when time permits. You have to do a little careful filing around the top switches so it will fit snugly into the bezel.
Never, ever, ever....bloody anything ever!

Far too many radio's to list here. But I do own a legal one...