[MODS] CRE 8900 / ALINCO DR135DX - 9 mods

A forum for the discussion of matters of a technical nature. All such activities are undertaken at the readers discretion and own risk. If you don't know what you are doing, don't blame us if it all goes wrong!
Borys
Registered New User
Registered New User
Call Sign: O166BB

[MODS] CRE 8900 / ALINCO DR135DX - 9 mods

Post by Borys »

Hello anyone, Im new here.

I would like create this topic for all owners CRE 8900 / Alinco DR135DX.
In Poland one of CB service offer this modifications (translation from Polish)

1/ fine-tuning of the track receiver / transmitter
2/ installation of quartz filter and IF 10.695KNKTR - improving the selectivity / (Im not sure that I can buy
this filter - Borys)
3/ installation of an active filter IF II Channel Guard - to improve selectivity
4/ improving the tone of the narrowed down receiver - more treble
5/ improving modulation AM - louder broadcasting
6/ adding a treble in a transmission path - the more acute (louder?) modulation
7/ change the functions CLARIFIER in emissions USB / LSB - not muted reception when tuning
8/ Calibration indicator S / RF-METER
9/ Digital measurement system calibration SWR - more reliable measurement at higher transmission power

I wish to make this topic a know-how for anyone who want do this mods.
But, for now, I know only how to mod a CLARIFIER and tune RX/TX

1/ fine-tuning of the track receiver / transmitter

It can happen that your radio is out of tune. This happens when the frequency on the display does not match the frequency of transmission or reception.
Set the example. 26.425.00 MHz and our respondents, who are also on this frequency can not hear us, and we hear them with great difficulty. Typically helped here knob clarifier, which tune the 'ear' to the frequency of our interlocutor. We had to set the example. 26.423.60 MHz to be heard at 26.425.00 MHz. So what to do to align the frequency display with real?

1. Press the "FUNC" button and holding it turn on the radio
2. Then press one after the other buttons RB, AN / ANL, DW

Radio came just in adjustment mode, and the display show the message SHOULD BFXXX (where XXX is the numeric designation of the setting, not the frequency). Using a dial channels and clarifier introduce the desired value.

If necessary, adjustment of the frequency shift should be performed separately for each modulation mode, rotating the selector dial modulation.
To save the new settings and exit the adjustment mode, turn off the radio.

After switching off the check results of our correction on the frequency meter or talking with someone about whom we know that he has properly tuning the radio. If necessary re-enter the adjustment mode.

Before you make any changes in the value of the parameters save them. Throughout this process, remember to CB radio was at room temperature, because it affects the correct tuning.

TIPS:
CW. Turn the CLARIFIER knob until frequency meter indicates 10.6950 MHz.
FM / AM. Turn the CLARIFIER knob until frequency meter indicates 10.6950 MHz.
USB. Turn the CLARIFIER knob until frequency meter indicates 10.6925 MHz.
LSB. Turn the CLARIFIER knob until frequency meter indicates 10.6975 MHz.

Note: when mistakenly introduced various parameters without storing them in advance is not possible to call them back using the RESET function. The RESET function does not change the parameters of the service menu.
Always save all the parameters of the radio before you change anything

2/ installation of quartz filter and IF 10.695KNKTR - improving the selectivity / (Im not sure that I can buy this filter - Borys)
This mod is not full described yet - if you know how do it, please tell us!

3/ installation of an active filter IF II Channel Guard - to improve selectivity

4/ improving the tone of the narrowed down receiver - /more treble

5/ improving modulation AM - louder broadcasting

6/ adding a treble in a transmission path - the more acute (louder?) modulation

7/ change the functions CLARIFIER in emissions USB / LSB - not muted reception when tuning
In my radio I used Hi-Cut button (which has been permanently disabled) to disable mute. Now I am enclosing Hi-Cut I can safely tweak and change channels.
Minus it is that at the moment does not work SQ, ASQ ie, the RX is always enabled. Just off the Hi-Cut and back to normal. Additionally, you can now attach a scan channels or DW, and at the same time be listening when changing channels in
HOW DO IT?
Disconnect the collector of the control transistor Hi-Cut and connect it to the base of the transistor mute.

8/ Calibration indicator S / RF-METER
9/ digital measurement system calibration SWR - more reliable measurement at higher transmission power

Could you help with rest of mods? I'll edit first post if anyone post an instruction
simonthewizard

Re: [MODS] CRE 8900 / ALINCO DR135DX - 9 mods

Post by simonthewizard »

This service is carried out by www.konektor5000.pl who also "tune" Densei EC2002 microphones which make excellent audio on Qixiang radios.

Regards
Simon
evken
Registered New User
Registered New User
Call Sign: junkman

Post by evken »

Thanks for posting this topic. I've purchased a used Alinco DX-10 which I'm trying to get on frequency on SSB (i've got the lower working but still having problems on upper). I have a few questions Do you think the usb cable from the stryker 955 would work on this unit? Do you have a link for software the only one I found will only will use com port number 3? You wouldn't happen to have a link to a service manual?
Thanks for your time and Happy New Year! Ken
dt307
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 163dt307

Post by dt307 »

evken wrote:Thanks for posting this topic. I've purchased a used Alinco DX-10 which I'm trying to get on frequency on SSB (i've got the lower working but still having problems on upper). I have a few questions Do you think the usb cable from the stryker 955 would work on this unit? Do you have a link for software the only one I found will only will use com port number 3? You wouldn't happen to have a link to a service manual?
Thanks for your time and Happy New Year! Ken
isnt it the same as an anyclone? go in the super secret menu and change the bfo ect (make a note of the settings because if you screw it up a reset wont fix it )
163dt307-chris

“I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots.”
― Albert Einstein
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

If you need to modify a brand new radio then you bought the wrong radio.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
evken
Registered New User
Registered New User
Call Sign: junkman

Post by evken »

Thanks dt307 Chris, but not sure what a anyclone is. I have done the frequency offset in the service menu fixed the lower but upper may need an internal adjustment I'm guessing. Thanks again, Ken
ch25
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: Lemmy

Post by ch25 »

Admiral wrote:If you need to modify a brand new radio then you bought the wrong radio.
No less, no more.
WE ARE MOTÖRHEAD, AND WE PLAY ROCK N' ROLL
You can't have too many antennas...
astradyne

Post by astradyne »

Admiral wrote:If you need to modify a brand new radio then you bought the wrong radio.
This.
Never, ever, ever....bloody anything ever!

Far too many radio's to list here. But I do own a legal one...
Sadelta
Registered New User
Registered New User

Post by Sadelta »

not muted reception when tuning - Can this be done in AM/FM?
DX-Digger
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: TM205

Post by DX-Digger »

Borys wrote: 01 Aug 2016, 07:37

In my radio I used Hi-Cut button (which has been permanently disabled) to disable mute. Now I am enclosing Hi-Cut I can safely tweak and change channels.
Minus it is that at the moment does not work SQ, ASQ ie, the RX is always enabled. Just off the Hi-Cut and back to normal. Additionally, you can now attach a scan channels or DW, and at the same time be listening when changing channels in
HOW DO IT?
Disconnect the collector of the control transistor Hi-Cut and connect it to the base of the transistor mute.
I am looking to do the clarifier mod as it mutes sound as you turn clarifier making it useless as it is.
The image above does not help as its not detailed enough, so does anybody have a better detailed circuit than the one above??
As far as I can tell it basically turns the transistor on or off enabling or disabling the mute circuit.

Why you would want to mute audio when trying to fine tune rx confuses the hell out of me.
Anyway can anyone offer a better mod image than the tiny thing above?
Cheers Mark
:thumbup:
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
Mudslinger
Legend
Legend

Post by Mudslinger »

Admiral wrote: 04 Jan 2017, 21:34 If you need to modify a brand new radio then you bought the wrong radio.
Another in agreement here.
Mudslinger - Simon
26TM274
26CT612

There is no such thing as a Fidelity 1000 which is too good to scrap.
163TM847
Veteran
Veteran

Post by 163TM847 »

The anyclone radios suffer from bad quality crystals [10.240 and 10.6975] The 10.6975 tends to be the worst offender, Many times i have seen the SSB is way out even when the factory menu is on correct settings and no amount of changing the value in the settings will get all modes back, In some cases i have seen the 10.6975 go so far off that LSB becomes USB [Or vice versa], Anyway regardless of condition of the radio or how old the radio these crystals can go out of spec quite a bit too not so much so the values in the menu have to be adjusted.

Edit: Damn, Just noticed this is an old resurrected thread :lol:
adrian88888
Registered New User
Registered New User
Call Sign: KO02WO66IQ

Post by adrian88888 »

Hello colleagues. Is it possible to present a better quality CLARIFIER modification scheme in USB / LSB emission.
Regards.