President HR2600 Frequency Expansion.

A forum for the discussion of matters of a technical nature. All such activities are undertaken at the readers discretion and own risk. If you don't know what you are doing, don't blame us if it all goes wrong!
astradyne

President HR2600 Frequency Expansion.

Post by astradyne »

They look the same as the 2830/Lincoln/2510 but they're not. Different main PCB and different Processor board to suit the functions of the radio (repeater shift etc).

The processor chip can't be modified to give 26-30Mhz as can be done with the other mentioned radio's. I've looked online and found three ways of modifying the 2600 for full coverage. One is to fit a chip switch. The second is to replace the processor chip with one from a Lincoln, 2830 or a 2510. This sounds easy, but it isn't. Finally, I've read a few posts online where people say they've just dropped in the entire processor board from a 2830 and the 2600 has worked fine but obviously without the repeater shift function.

Now, I have a full processor board from a very early 2830 which is in perfect working order. I'm definitely not going to attempt unsoldering two processor chips. Chipswitches rarely pop up. So I'm wandering about the whole tray option. Would this actually work? The bulk of the PCB components are the same as the Lincoln etc. The ribbon cable connectors are all identical. So could it simply be a case of drooping the whole 2830 processor board in? The only real difference is the area where the repeater tone setting block is.

All advice welcomed.
Never, ever, ever....bloody anything ever!

Far too many radio's to list here. But I do own a legal one...
Otter
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: 26TM439

Re: President HR2600 Frequency Expansion.

Post by Otter »

One of the connectors is a different size; there is an FM connection from the band switch on the 2600. I think there are other differences
"To this day the words Stirling bridge conjour pride in every Scotsman's heart, while to an Englishman those same words conjour literally no feelings at all." - Cunk on Britain S1 E1
14CS06
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by 14CS06 »

Hello

I find this

@+
Claude
Last edited by 14CS06 on 13 Apr 2018, 20:27, edited 1 time in total.
Photo Collector CB RADIO
cb4ever104
Legend
Legend

Post by cb4ever104 »

Sounds like a bit of a nightmare Andy . Can I ask . Why do you want to mod it ? It's a good 10m radio as it is . As you know Lincolns/2830s/HR2510s etc are pretty cheap these days . Or as you just looking for something to do ? :)

S.
30TM060
Paul aka "Sammy". (108) PY60 Old Paisley DX Group (RIP Rab Markie)
Ex GM0 , now EA5 .
Handle "Fortune Hunter" back in "the day"
Radios ....? Anything that says "TAIWAN R.O.C" on the back.
astradyne

Post by astradyne »

cb4ever104 wrote:Sounds like a bit of a nightmare Andy . Can I ask . Why do you want to mod it ? It's a good 10m radio as it is . As you know Lincolns/2830s/HR2510s etc are pretty cheap these days . Or as you just looking for something to do ? :)

S.
I'm not a 10M user Sammy. For a while it was just sat in its box doing nothing. I did the xtal swap so it currently covers 26-27.699Mhz, but unlocking it to its full potential would be my main goal. I do have a Lincoln and a 2830, both excellent radio's. But the HR2600 has a different PCB and it would be interesting to see how it performs when fully opened up. My soldering skills are nowhere near good enough to do the processor chip swap (took a look at the back of the PCB, no thank you!)

If all else fails I'll put it back to 10M (simple two minute job) and sell the radio including the 2830 processor board. Someone will get more use out of it as a dedicated 10M radio or have the soldering skills to do the chip swap.

cb4ever104
Legend
Legend

Post by cb4ever104 »

Fair enough Andy . Hope you get it the way you want . BTW I wouldn't do that type of de/soldering either . Bit too delicate for me .

S.
30TM060
Ex GM0 , now EA5 .
DaJetzi
Regular
Regular

Post by DaJetzi »

There is an other possibility to do frequency expansion. It offers also a bunch oft usefull functions too.
It is some Kind of a chipswitch.
Have a look at www.anesttech.de for your interest.
This is not my signature
df2tb
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: DF2TB

Post by df2tb »

I have a lincoln modified by anesttech. In my eyes it is crap and not worth to buy

Andreas DF2TB
astradyne

Post by astradyne »

DaJetzi wrote:There is an other possibility to do frequency expansion. It offers also a bunch oft usefull functions too.
It is some Kind of a chipswitch.
Have a look at http://www.anesttech.de for your interest.
Looks interesting. I'll have to check it out when I get home as it's in German and my phone doesn't offer the translate function. But it certainly looks like it will do the job.

Thanks for this info.

astradyne

Post by astradyne »

Update on this rather old thread.

I've managed to fit a Lincoln processor board into the 2600. It now covers from 26 - 30Mhz and works brilliantly.

There's no bleep function as that switch was used for the repeater shift. I also decided not to connect the TX button. If I want to TX I'll use the PTT on the mic! It appears that the power output on the 2600 can go much higher than the Lincoln/2830. Into a dummy load it's reading around 50W peak.

Great audio reports on 555 so happy days :D

cb4ever104
Legend
Legend

Post by cb4ever104 »

Good to know Andy . Thanks for sharing .
30TM060
Ex GM0 , now EA5 .