uPD2824 PLL expander concept / first prototype

A forum for the discussion of matters of a technical nature. All such activities are undertaken at the readers discretion and own risk. If you don't know what you are doing, don't blame us if it all goes wrong!
sonoma
Regular
Regular

Re: uPD2824 PLL expander concept / first prototype

Post by sonoma »

Hello Sue, I see you are still going way farther than any one else I know to mod radios.
since you have ran across so many odd radios over the years, just want to know if you happen to have a service manual for a Superstar 120FM radio. I just bought 2 that are in the mail and not sure what board is in them. looks like 2 different versions of this radio. so far I have only found a schematic and was hoping you might have some info for them. they have a 3 band switch on them. just wishful thinking that you might have some info.
speeddemon

Post by speeddemon »

Hi sonoma you can download the manual/schematic at cbradio.nl. or at 78roger free.fr or cbtricks.com or combai.nl.. cheers n 73's
lbcomms
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by lbcomms »

I've seen two versions of that name here, an earlier more "boxy" one and a later one that was more rounded.
We only have a schematic for the earlier one. It's similar to many other like radios of the era.

The earlier ones at least are full of those grey 10V electrolytics that go leaky / short / open with age. 95% of the problems with those radios are solved by replacing them.
sonoma
Regular
Regular

Post by sonoma »

thank you speeddemon, looks like the one made by President radios. at least the front is the same and they had the service manual there. not in my language but I can figure it out after looking at it for a few minutes. maybe I can use google and get it translated to english so I can make sure I can understand it better.
for sure Sue I will recap them before I even try to do any repairs. I have found that the old radios the caps need to be changed before any thing is done to it. om cbtricks I use to tell them to recap 1st and no one paid any attention to me on that. after you came on board and you even said you would not repair and old radio before recapping they started paying attention. from what I saw looking at the face of the radio it should have the 2816 PLL in them.
thanks to all.
kop
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: AF7XT

Post by kop »

@lbcomms
...and the pics disappeared. :-( Was bound to happen eventually Sue.
Any updates I've missed?
NOT WINDOWS COMPATIBLE
lbcomms
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by lbcomms »

kop wrote: 01 Apr 2020, 13:31 ...and the pics disappeared. :-( Was bound to happen eventually Sue. Any updates I've missed?
That version is way obsolete now, it was an early prototype. Worked out a much easier now, reversible if you want to return the radio to stock and works with the uPD858, MB8719, MB7834, and uPD2824 radios (chassis with SSB only).

viewtopic.php?f=53&t=57390