Pres Lincoln II v3 - Echo O.T.T.?!

A forum for the discussion of matters of a technical nature. All such activities are undertaken at the readers discretion and own risk. If you don't know what you are doing, don't blame us if it all goes wrong!
Otter
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: 26TM439

Re: Pres Lincoln II v3 - Echo O.T.T.?!

Post by Otter »

millsrocks wrote: Cheers for the nice condescending reply GeeFull
I joined this forum hoping to get help with stuff :lol:

I'm sure some someone will come up with something constructive.
I would say that you really should take note of the reply; it's both helpful and constructive. You will get more copies if you don't use echo. A lot of people hate it and won't respond to people who use it.
You may like it, but it's just a toy and best used into a dummy load.
"To this day the words Stirling bridge conjour pride in every Scotsman's heart, while to an Englishman those same words conjour literally no feelings at all." - Cunk on Britain S1 E1
millsrocks
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 26CT1388

Post by millsrocks »

Cheers for your input Otter.
As much as i do appreciate EVERYONE'S thoughts on echo, i wasn't really asking for opinions....i was asking for technical help.
I'm also not trying to set a record on how many copies i get...i have community of about 40 regular breakers in my TX/RX catchment area...all of which have never passed comment on whether i use echo or not.

All said and done, i recognise your right to your opinion.
"Suicide Jockey"
26CT1388
Leatherhead, Surrey, UK.
-------------------------------
Radios:

President Grant II
Antennas:

Sirio Gain-Master (base)
Sirio 3000 Hi-power (mobile)
beamer320i
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by beamer320i »

There's a lot of highly-strung people about these days, isn't there?
millsrocks
Regular
Regular

Post by millsrocks »

Haha...depends on who you're referring to Beamer....me, or the other guy? ;)
"Suicide Jockey"
26CT1388
Leatherhead, Surrey, UK.
Radios:

President Grant II
Antennas:

Sirio Gain-Master (base)
beamer320i
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by beamer320i »

Otter wrote:
millsrocks wrote: Cheers for the nice condescending reply GeeFull
I joined this forum hoping to get help with stuff :lol:

I'm sure some someone will come up with something constructive.
I would say that you really should take note of the reply; it's both helpful and constructive. You will get more copies if you don't use echo. A lot of people hate it and won't respond to people who use it.
You may like it, but it's just a toy and best used into a dummy load.
This pretty much sums it up for me as well - if you MUST have echo, use a decent exterior source such as a Sadelta, etc., not the p!ss-poor effort that's fitted to the 'Lincoln II'

The fact that your 'community of 40 regular breakers have never passed comment' on your echo pretty much sums up it's importance.

Nothing inflammatory or negative on my part, just never fails to amaze me that people ask questions and then get the @rse when they get an answer! :lol:
millsrocks
Regular
Regular

Post by millsrocks »

Hang on a minute Beamer....who's got the @rse? Not me?
All i've done is ask a simple question regarding my rig (which incidently you've just pointlessly cussed out).
I think i showed i was aware that the echo was poor by the very nature of my original post, hoping that someone may have a constructive way of adjusting it - posting within the correct section of this forum.
I totally agree with you that my echo capabilities of my L2 is not of great "importance" in the greater scheme of things, but i didn't expect people to waste their time posting anything but technical knowhow with regards to adjusting it. Instead, people seem to be more interested in making elitist remarks about what i should and shouldn't be using on 11m.
"Suicide Jockey"
26CT1388
Leatherhead, Surrey, UK.
Radios:

President Grant II
Antennas:

Sirio Gain-Master (base)
Dragonfly
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26TM363

Post by Dragonfly »

I havent had any of these Anyclone type radios but Is the echo mix software defined , It may be that the minimum value could be lowered in programing , Or is the Echo mix ballanced by a potentiometer and if so what is the OHM reading at the lowest setting and could there be scope to lower the potentiometer value and possably lower the echo mix / volume .
millsrocks
Regular
Regular

Post by millsrocks »

Thanks for the input Dragonfly.
The echo parameters are controlled via the menu software on the radio.
I have never opened the radio, and am not in anyway qualified to even recognise if there are any points on the board where mechanical adjustment could be performed, or where to measure OHMage.
To be honest, since starting this thread in Nov '14 i have hardly used the radio...just sat in it's original packaging, so will probably sell it. Shame to let it go to waste because other than the echo settings, it's a fantastic radio....somebody should get some use out of it.

Thanks again for the reply.
"Suicide Jockey"
26CT1388
Leatherhead, Surrey, UK.
Radios:

President Grant II
Antennas:

Sirio Gain-Master (base)
Roadrunner
Registered New User
Registered New User

Post by Roadrunner »

Happy to see the thread is still going . Not happy to see that there has been no remedy. I too have a V 3 With echo issues Even though both settings are set on one.There are no internal adjustments. I have been in contact with president and they offer no fix. I am very pleased with the performance of the radio With the exception of the echo issue. Mine too sits on a shelf because of this fault.
millsrocks
Regular
Regular

Post by millsrocks »

Roadrunner wrote:Happy to see the thread is still going . Not happy to see that there has been no remedy. I too have a V 3 With echo issues Even though both settings are set on one.There are no internal adjustments. I have been in contact with president and they offer no fix. I am very pleased with the performance of the radio With the exception of the echo issue. Mine too sits on a shelf because of this fault.
The echo wasn't a deal-breaker tho Roadrunner...it IS a good radio.
BUT i have to admit that that i found the squelch and volume control somewhat annoying in the fact that it was digitally stepped (ie. 1..2..3..4..5..6..7..etc etc). i'm personally all about the in-betweens.

This radio is now sold, so i don't have to worry about it anymore, but yes...it's a shame that a solution to the OTT echo wasn't discovered.
"Suicide Jockey"
26CT1388
Leatherhead, Surrey, UK.
Radios:

President Grant II
Antennas:

Sirio Gain-Master (base)
tony2803
Call Sign: 163TM2803

Post by tony2803 »

Did President transceivers that were built in the 1980s have this echo function No.
So why are they adding this crap to their radios now, If they need to add an audio function why not add a speech processor for better ssb audio.
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

tony2803 wrote:Did President transceivers that were built in the 1980s have this echo function No.
So why are they adding this crap to their radios now, If they need to add an audio function why not add a speech processor for better ssb audio.
Because President is now just a badge my friend, they get royalties for having their previously respected name put on the front of generic Chinese crap.

Echo/delay is a digital thing buried inside a multi-purpose chip, so there will probably be no analogue means of altering its parameters, just what's in the menu.

So I doubt there's a component change that would work either, the only thing that could sort it would be an alteration to the firmware.

Welcome to 2015.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
108EH002
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by 108EH002 »

Kaos wrote: 26 Nov 2014, 15:49
108EH002 wrote:I never use echo and only owned a L2 V1(crap),but hopefully when the V4 comes out this will be fixed for those that like to use echo,maybe the tester's never checked the echo function.President engineered to be the very best....no wonder they don't have that on the box of any new radio that is sold nowadays ;)
Hope you like long waits.

My Echo in my V2 and V3 are both fine. Not that I use it. Just tested it to see.
Couldn't have been that long between V3 and V4.
L2 + echo maybe works better than my V3 does :lol:
Plenty are talking worldwide on 27.555 usb,
Some are too far up their own @rse to admit it,
Many happen to know otherwise dx-ing test free,
Showing a complete lack of respect for the law.

27.555 Usb
108EH002
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by 108EH002 »

jadocs wrote: 19 May 2015, 15:28 Hey all,

I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to post the following in case there are others like me doing an internet search on this issue.

I have the Lincoln v.3 and like most others, I thought there was no way to adjust the echo. I kept pressing and holding the echo button to enter the echo setup and changing the values. Nothing I adjusted to made a difference in how the echo sounded.....UNTIL I read the manual and found out that you have to press and hold the "menu" button after each echo value is adjusted for it to actually change (and stay at that setting).

In other words, to change echo settings:

- Press and hold the echo button to enter echo settings
- Adjust the first echo value to desired setting, then press and HOLD the MENU button
- Adjust the second echo value to desired setting, then press and HOLD the MENU button

Each echo value has to be changed and set at a time. In other words you can't change both echo values and press/hold the menu button (it will only save the last value if you do that).

Hope this helps somebody because it wasn't specifically stated in this thread how to change the echo settings. I adjusted mine to 1:1 and it sounds good (but I don't use it because I prefer full modulation).
It is the memory button for changing values......not menu.Keep echo pressed until you see delay,then press mem button until you see t ine,once both are changed it does alter the echo,if you press menu the value will reset back to 10 on the delay.
Plenty are talking worldwide on 27.555 usb,
Some are too far up their own @rse to admit it,
Many happen to know otherwise dx-ing test free,
Showing a complete lack of respect for the law.

27.555 Usb