Strange McKinley issue

A forum for the discussion of matters of a technical nature. All such activities are undertaken at the readers discretion and own risk. If you don't know what you are doing, don't blame us if it all goes wrong!
superstar
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Strange McKinley issue

Post by superstar »

NUBSTER wrote:This might sound a silly question as I am not up on technical stuff inside of a radio, but dose it do this if you took the radio say mobile or to another place (QTH), just wondering if its actully somthing within your home thats causing it
Hi, not tried it out mobile, just on the the imax, but none of my other rigs do this.
Buying and hoarding CB radio's is an illness
Cb handle
1980-1993, "AL Capone"
1993-present, "Superstar"
occupation-running a retirement home for elderly cb radios
Fozzy Bear dont care ya know, so er thats the story!
superstar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by superstar »

PLL02A wrote:Im not at all familiar with this radio. But looking at your pic of the solder side of the radio i dont see any caps between the chassis & ground :roll:

I wonder if the problem could be the audio amp itself
Hi, yeah maybe there's some caps missing, or some other fault, the rig performs well though,but not knowing what I'm really doing in there I'll leave it to the experts, the rig in question is on its way to Wales for a thorough health check and a few mods :)
Cb handle
1980-1993, "AL Capone"
superstar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by superstar »

McKinley all sorted now after it's short break over in Wales , no radio 5 live coming in, bang on frequency, UK 40 and alphas fitted, and it's even armed with a hygain 5 bleep, thanks Nick, superb job done :)
Cb handle
1980-1993, "AL Capone"
Buick Mackane

Post by Buick Mackane »

superstar wrote:McKinley all sorted now after it's short break over in Wales , no radio 5 live coming in, bang on frequency, UK 40 and alphas fitted, and it's even armed with a hygain 5 bleep, thanks Nick, superb job done :)
So what was causing the problem? :roll:
I Am the great cornholio are you threatening me ?
superstar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by superstar »

PLL02A wrote:
superstar wrote:McKinley all sorted now after it's short break over in Wales , no radio 5 live coming in, bang on frequency, UK 40 and alphas fitted, and it's even armed with a hygain 5 bleep, thanks Nick, superb job done :)
Faulty cap on mic socket to chassis :roll:
Cb handle
1980-1993, "AL Capone"
Buick Mackane

Post by Buick Mackane »

superstar wrote:
PLL02A wrote:
Faulty cap on mic socket to chassis :roll:
Thought it would be something along those lines. Good to know for future reference ;) I must admitt nick is sh1t hot. Never heard a bad word said about him, And he has a lightning quick turn-around. Dunno how he does it :shock:

Hes a real credit to the forum ;)
I Am the great cornholio are you threatening me ?
superstar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by superstar »

He sure is 8)
Cb handle
1980-1993, "AL Capone"
Mudslinger
Legend
Legend

Post by Mudslinger »

I am digging this thread up, as my Current Mckinley has this exact same issue, with occasion radio stations being heard through the speaker.

Considering I haven't had this issue on any other radio, only a couple of McKinleys (Never on a Jack) I am assuming it is due to a peculiarity with the board.

Also on my one when you change bands the s-meter drops right back to zero, then when you put your finger on part of the radios chassis the s-meter comes back up again as well.

Which mic socket capacitor was causing the issue? It does seem like a poor ground to me.

Radio works fine otherwise.
Mudslinger - Simon
26TM274
26CT612

There is no such thing as a Fidelity 1000 which is too good to scrap.
cb4ever104
Legend
Legend

Post by cb4ever104 »

Mudslinger wrote: 02 Mar 2018, 11:48 It does seem like a poor ground to me.
Not so much a poor ground Simon . Think the problem was a shorted cap between chassis and ground . Normally there are various decoupling ceramic capacitors around the main board . You generally see them on the power socket (between -Ve and chassis) , or mic socket . Check with a meter to see if you have any resistance between chassis and ground . There shouldn't be any . If there is then chances are that you have a shorted , or faulty cap . Then you'll need to find it .

Sammy
30TM060
Paul aka "Sammy". (108) PY60 Old Paisley DX Group (RIP Rab Markie)
Ex GM0 , now EA5 .
Handle "Fortune Hunter" back in "the day"
Radios ....? Anything that says "TAIWAN R.O.C" on the back.
Mudslinger
Legend
Legend

Post by Mudslinger »

Cheers Sammy,

The mic socket has been rotated in the past, and the decoupling cap was missing altogether, so I found one and fitted one.

The signal dropping was down to a dry solder joint between the centre of the antenna socket and the PCB.

All appears fine now.
Mudslinger - Simon
26TM274
26CT612

There is no such thing as a Fidelity 1000 which is too good to scrap.
cb4ever104
Legend
Legend

Post by cb4ever104 »

Mudslinger wrote: 02 Mar 2018, 13:46 The mic socket has been rotated in the past, and the decoupling cap was missing altogether
Yeah . That'll do it :)

Glad to hear you got it sorted :thumbup:
30TM060
Paul aka "Sammy". (108) PY60 Old Paisley DX Group (RIP Rab Markie)
Ex GM0 , now EA5 .
Handle "Fortune Hunter" back in "the day"
Radios ....? Anything that says "TAIWAN R.O.C" on the back.
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

I've mentioned on here before how I had a similar...but completely different ;) thing happen to me in the mid-80's.

Lightning had hit my Thunderpole Mk1 aerial on top of the house and must have melted the coil a touch. I could suddenly hear 4 or 5 radio channels all at the same time quietly in the background that night. My radio was always unplugged when not used and the co-ax hung out of the small top window incidently. I thought my trusty Fidelity homebase was on its way out. I didn't know for a while until a neighbour across the road told me. When it got hit again a few weeks later (same neighbour saw it again spookily enough, as that's where they sat watching the TV all the time) it went back to normal. You could see the blown-outwards hole the strikes had made when me and my dad took it down very shortly afterwards. It looked like a bullet had been shot through it from the inside outwards with the bent aluminium shards sticking out.