5 Band Cobweb Feeder?

The place to talk about specific amateur radio equipment and all types of accessories, fixes, repairs and modification.
acting_strange
New User
New User

5 Band Cobweb Feeder?

Post by acting_strange »

Hi

Is there any reason why, when I build my own 5 Band Cobweb, Instead of using a 4:1 Balun inside the links box, I just use my favourite, the good old Ladder Feeder and use my home built Z Match ATU to get the balance I need to keep the SWR down?
FAFFER

Re: 5 Band Cobweb Feeder?

Post by FAFFER »

Because it's a nest of folded dipoles and you'll cock the impedance up, and the performance.

The balun is a 1:4 btw.
Build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a night. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
acting_strange
New User
New User

Post by acting_strange »

FAFFER wrote: 20 Aug 2019, 10:58 Because it's a nest of folded dipoles and you'll cock the impedance up, and the performance.

But surely with an ATU I can match the impedance to any of the antenna used?
ch25
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: Lemmy

Post by ch25 »

The point is to have resonant antennas, not to tune barbwire with ATU. That's why Cobweb is built the way it is.

Chris
WE ARE MOTÖRHEAD, AND WE PLAY ROCK N' ROLL
You can't have too many antennas...
FAFFER

Post by FAFFER »

acting_strange wrote: 20 Aug 2019, 19:43
FAFFER wrote: 20 Aug 2019, 10:58 Because it's a nest of folded dipoles and you'll cock the impedance up, and the performance.

But surely with an ATU I can match the impedance to any of the antenna used?
You could fool the radio into thinking the antenna's 50 ohms, but the antenna will still be poor.
Build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a night. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.