back on the air

The place to talk about specific amateur radio equipment and all types of accessories, fixes, repairs and modification.
NITRO

back on the air

Post by NITRO »

well ive finally managed to save enough to get another hf rig since my ft450 died a death before christmas ....
i picked up the new ( secondhand) rig and set it up ... tho the bands seem quiet at the mo with the odd voice in the back of the box ....
I picked up the icom IC-718 ... its been fitted with a speech processor as the owner was partially sighted ... it actually speaks and says the frequency ... mode etc but can be turned of when not needed ......
just wondering what antenna to use with it for the bands ... i have a 66 foot endfed longwire, but it dosent seem to pull in the signals that good really ..... any suggestions would be great .... and if anyones had a ic-718 .... any tips or hints on good or bad points would be great too ...
thanks in advance folks ...
163-TM-565
Blackolive
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: G4WCS

Re: back on the air

Post by Blackolive »

120 odd foot loop, 4:1 balun. mine runs from the bottom of our (short) garden, up to the gutters on the back of the house, across the back of the house, and back down to the opposite corner at the bottom of the garden. should do the job 40m up on all bands. havent tried it on 80 yet.

alternatively 10m fishing pole and use it to raise a 1/4 wave vertical for the band you wish to operate on.

Ive used both with great success from a modest location
ch25
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: Lemmy

Post by ch25 »

Which bands?
WE ARE MOTÖRHEAD, AND WE PLAY ROCK N' ROLL
You can't have too many antennas...
NITRO

Post by NITRO »

ch25 wrote: 10 May 2019, 10:20Which bands?
10 to 80 wold e fine .... ive made and put up a 102 foot endfed inverted v yesterday ... running a z100 tuner ... its getting out and pulling the signals in a bit ... but no where near as good as i would expect it too ......
163-TM-565
ch25
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: Lemmy

Post by ch25 »

10 to 80 you need at least 3 antennas if you think seriously about that. Random wire and antenna tuner is a road to nowhere.
WE ARE MOTÖRHEAD, AND WE PLAY ROCK N' ROLL
You can't have too many antennas...
Werthers
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Werthers »

I'd start at 80 meters antenna wise and work up from there, an 80 meter antenna can also resonate on 40 meters without to much effort.