Trio R-600 Receiver Fault

The place to talk about specific amateur radio equipment and all types of accessories, fixes, repairs and modification.
sickboy
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Trio R-600 Receiver Fault

Post by sickboy »

This is driving me mental...

A pal bought an old R600 receiver which was sold as working, but it turns out it has a fault. The minimum the VFO will go to in any band is 282, meaning that every band has a gap which you can't access.
From going through the PLL section adjustments in the service manual, it seem like it's a VFO tracking fault. The manual states that with the VFO fully clockwise (maximum), pin 5 of Q17 should give a frequency of 2.479MHz which it does. All good so far.
Then turn the VFO fully anticlockwise (minimum) and I should have a frequency of 3.599MHz - but I actually have 3.251MHz. Adjusting TC2 (variable cap) doesn't bring it much higher, although turning it lower does make the fault (or the gap) worse, so I'm definitely on the right track.

I just spent the afternoon doing a full recap on both boards (over 60 caps) but the fault is exactly the same. I've also tried replacing TC2 itself but no joy.

Does anyone have any experience of these receivers?
Embrace your inner muppet !
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Re: Trio R-600 Receiver Fault

Post by Admiral »

Sorry, I'm no use as you already stole my thunder, my R-600 is spot on frequency but it's as deaf as a post, a friend had a look and says it needs recapping, way too big a job for me and uneconomical to pay someone else to do it on a low value set.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
sickboy
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by sickboy »

Admiral wrote:Sorry, I'm no use as you already stole my thunder, my R-600 is spot on frequency but it's as deaf as a post, a friend had a look and says it needs recapping, way too big a job for me and uneconomical to pay someone else to do it on a low value set.
Yeah it was around £25 for the kit and took a few hours to do. It's beyond my technical ability to diagnose the fault, so my friend is now sending it down to Dave Wood in Wales for repair.
Embrace your inner muppet !
Auldgeek
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: GM0BRJ

Post by Auldgeek »

sickboy wrote:
Yeah it was around £25 for the kit and took a few hours to do. It's beyond my technical ability to diagnose the fault, so my friend is now sending it down to Dave Wood in Wales for repair.
So it will be "Dave tuned" then! :D
Auldgeek - Drew

Winner of IBTL Autumn 23 Edition
I've changed radios so many times, I've forgotten what I have :think:
Admiral
Legend
Legend

Post by Admiral »

If anyone wants a deaf R-600 for a bullseye you know where to come.
Tim
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26AT239

Post by Tim »

Attach a long chain to it and sell it on eBay as a boat anchor. ;)
Admiral
Legend
Legend

Post by Admiral »

It's not quite that bad, solid state, but the old school built in linear PSU forms 80% of the weight.
teddyt
Regular
Regular

Post by teddyt »

That's a shame Admiral as it looks a nice set. if you ever want to donate it?......... ;)
I had an old yaesu fdr 400 boat anchor that was the same deaf and almost dead, there's a guy in my club who loves to re-biuld old valve stuff, so I gave it to him to playwith/ use as parts??? As I had no idea how to repair it and was not worth the cost of repair :cry:

anyway this gent said when it's done I can have it back :o :o Said I would pay for parts/ time etc, but he said he just likes to play!!
Baofeng UV82, Standard c5200ed, Icom lc-ft1610, Realistic pro-26, Trio 9r-59ds, Yeasu frdx 400, Realistic pro-2004, Yeasu ft-767gx and has the 2m, 70cms and 6m modules fitted, Yaesu FT 980,KT-8900d Quad Band, Trio,Baofeng GT-3tp, TYT MD380, Yaesu FT450D
Admiral
Legend
Legend

Post by Admiral »

Well if sickboys mate finds it uneconomical then it may be up for grabs cheap as I officially retire on July 25th and am moving back to MK, so the less crap the better.
dg1ypg
Registered New User
Registered New User

Post by dg1ypg »

Admiral wrote:.....but it's as deaf as a post.....
Did you check the 0,1A-fuse on the rf-board close to the ant-terminal?

This fuse is in the antenna-line, if it is blown the set will be deaf on both terminals!

55 + 73 - Paul