FT-857D Audio on repeater input but nothing from the Output

The place to talk about specific amateur radio equipment and all types of accessories, fixes, repairs and modification.
nay27uk
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

FT-857D Audio on repeater input but nothing from the Output

Post by nay27uk »

I have a strange problem with my FT-857D.

I can open up repeaters no problem that I have stored in memory on the radio, but people are saying they can only just hear me.

I have all tones set correct, all off sets correct, if I crank the mic on a repeater the signal on one other radio is static and very low audio, if I put the other radio on the repeater input and the 857 as it is with all the setings I have crystal clear audio.

I just don't get it.

It is transmitting to, and opening up the repeaters but with no audio on the repeater outputs only on the inputs.

CTCSS tones all set right, inputs/outputs all set right, tone turned on (ten) on the screen, repeater shift set and on (+ or -) on the screen.

Please can anyone help I am about to chuck this bag of **** in the chuffing bin
M6LIG / 2E0LIG / 26TM1995

Baofeng UV5R+
Boafeng RD-5R
YAESU FT-857D - Watson W50 - HF-SE-360
Malahit SDR - Ground Loop
Panasonic DR28-LBE
nay27uk
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Re: FT-857D Audio on repeater input but nothing from the Output

Post by nay27uk »

Right GB3LE works perfect but not GB3CF although I had this working fine for weeks, it almost seems like GB3CF's two radios have suddenly both been set to receive frequency.

Not Sure what has happened there but it does seem like un keying the mic makes CF transmit IE you key and it is receiving but not transmitting, you un key and get the repeater tones and it transmits.

Very strange but I know it is not my radio because GB3LE is working perfect.

Gonna take my radio up the club tomorrow night just to get a second opinion and test it on another antenna.

Baofeng UV5R+
Boafeng RD-5R
Panasonic DR28-LBE
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

Google can throw some curveballs from time to time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uf0gDOiEh64
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
26TM5890
Call Sign: 26TM5890

Post by 26TM5890 »

2.5kHz maximum deviation required to use.

Operating greater than 2.5khz peak deviation may cause your signal to drop out of the repeater, and audio could sound distorted and breakthrough with other repeaters on 145.6125MHz.
https://gb3cf.uk

or may be drop an email to the repeater keeper?
Elecraft K2
President Grant II Premium
paulears
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: G4RMT

Post by paulears »

I assume you have another radio available - I got a bit confused by some of what you posted? Deviation would seem to be a likely culprit. The test will be to use your other radio to switch between the repeater audio and your audio on the input - so programme both frequencies in so you can quickly switch between the two. What should happen is that the volume of audio from your direct signal on the input should be the same as the audio from the repeater. You can also use your second radio to listen for other people on the input and compare what they sound like direct and through the repeater. This should let you hear if you are louder or quieter.

What I don't quite get is that deviation issues usually come from too HIGH deviation. A repeater with tight filters starts to distort when you talk it up, and some actually cut out the audio - many Icom radios do this on over deviated signals. Too low deviation is usually just quiet audio, no distortion products.

The essential thing is to compare your audio with somebody else, deviation wise. CTCSS level is usually preset and not changeable - hence why the repeater comes up. Anybody local who can have a listen too - they can perhaps comment better on you compared to others.
nay27uk
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by nay27uk »

bitman wrote:
2.5kHz maximum deviation required to use.

Operating greater than 2.5khz peak deviation may cause your signal to drop out of the repeater, and audio could sound distorted and breakthrough with other repeaters on 145.6125MHz.
https://gb3cf.uk

or may be drop an email to the repeater keeper?
Yeah seen that but it is double dutch to me, where in a ft857D do I set deviation mic gain is set to 18 I have also tried every number in between from 1 to 100

Baofeng UV5R+
Boafeng RD-5R
Panasonic DR28-LBE
nay27uk
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by nay27uk »

paulears wrote:I assume you have another radio available - I got a bit confused by some of what you posted? Deviation would seem to be a likely culprit. The test will be to use your other radio to switch between the repeater audio and your audio on the input - so programme both frequencies in so you can quickly switch between the two. What should happen is that the volume of audio from your direct signal on the input should be the same as the audio from the repeater. You can also use your second radio to listen for other people on the input and compare what they sound like direct and through the repeater. This should let you hear if you are louder or quieter.

What I don't quite get is that deviation issues usually come from too HIGH deviation. A repeater with tight filters starts to distort when you talk it up, and some actually cut out the audio - many Icom radios do this on over deviated signals. Too low deviation is usually just quiet audio, no distortion products.

The essential thing is to compare your audio with somebody else, deviation wise. CTCSS level is usually preset and not changeable - hence why the repeater comes up. Anybody local who can have a listen too - they can perhaps comment better on you compared to others.
Thanks paulers I had tried that already, on the other radio I can hear myself crystal clear on both the repeater input and output frequencies just not when going through the repeater

Baofeng UV5R+
Boafeng RD-5R
Panasonic DR28-LBE
nay27uk
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by nay27uk »

Admiral wrote:Google can throw some curveballs from time to time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uf0gDOiEh64
:lolno:

Baofeng UV5R+
Boafeng RD-5R
Panasonic DR28-LBE
owza
Call Sign: M0

Post by owza »

As far as I remember...

Deviation is a separate setting, you should have the 857 set to FMN (FM Narrow) not FM.

From the manual, FM Maximum Deviation: ±5 kHz (FM-N: ±2.5 kHz)

You set this using multi function row 'm', Key C 'NAR', pg 29 of the manual.

Make sure you then save the repeater into memory with FMN set :thumbup:
paulears
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: G4RMT

Post by paulears »

No you misunderstood - what we need to establish is if the deviation on your radio is somehow different from the standard. So you need to compare your voice volume with an alternative. The frequency is not the issue - if you can hear somebody else local (on any frequency, to be honest) on your other receiver this needs to be compared to yours. Do you have an SDR receiver? If so and you zoom in, you will be able to see the 'width' of both your radios when you provide it with loud audio - an aaaah is usually sufficient as the intention is to max it out to the point when it limits, which is the maximum deviation. So looking or listening to two different transmitters on the SAME receiver should give the same result - I suspect one will be different.
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

Does that thing have a wide/narrow setting somewhere for FM?
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
oh5nxo
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: oh5nxo

Post by oh5nxo »

Does it help if you whisper into the mike?

Is CF much further away than LE ? Sure you put out expected amount of power ? 10 milliwatts or so, leaking past a blown PA, has happened to me many times.

Juha
nay27uk
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by nay27uk »

It seems to be OK again now, must have been the repeater as turning off on nfm still never helped but got back from the club tonight checked and it works again

Baofeng UV5R+
Boafeng RD-5R
Panasonic DR28-LBE