Connect a radio ext speaker to a AVR

The place to talk about specific amateur radio equipment and all types of accessories, fixes, repairs and modification.
nay27uk
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Connect a radio ext speaker to a AVR

Post by nay27uk »

First of all the TITLE should really say Connect a Radio EXT Speaker Output to a AVR Aux Input

Just wondering if anyone has ever used the extension speaker out on a radio like the FT-857D connected to an AVR for use as a full surround sound extension speaker system.

I have a FT-857D and ONKYO TX-NR515 AVR(black Version) that I use as my main HDMI and Sound System, I want an EXT Speaker for the FT-857D but rather than pay the silly prices they ask for a crappy after market EXT Speaker my idea is a 3.5mm Mono to 3.5mm Stereo plug (LIKE THIS I am asuming that the EXT Speaker out on a radio is a MONO connection, I would buy this from eBay as maplin is to deer) plugged into the back of the radio, then a 3.5mm Stereo to 2xRCA lead (lLIKE THIS but 6 meters long and from eBay) to go from the FT-857D to the AUX input on the back of the ONKYO and then "WHAM" I should now have a 1.0 Radio Upscaled to 2.0 and then upscaled again in the ONKYO to 5.1 (I don't have ALL the 7.2 SPEAKERS the ONKYO can have) all upscaled from the Radio but now in full Surround Sound as well as a nice and loud FT-857D.

Just wondered if anyone had ever done this before? and if so what where the results like for you?.

Sorry but I am a bit of an audiophile.

I could even use the FT-857D's headphone out as that is already Stereo and that does away with the need of the 1.0 to 2.0 adapter (just not sure if the 857D's Headphones Out is amplified or not) then just unplug the ONKYO from the radio end when I want to plug headphones in for night time use.
M6LIG / 2E0LIG / 26TM1995

Baofeng UV5R+
Boafeng RD-5R
YAESU FT-857D - Watson W50 - HF-SE-360
Malahit SDR - Ground Loop
Panasonic DR28-LBE
oh5nxo
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: oh5nxo

Re: Connect a radio ext speaker to a AVR

Post by oh5nxo »

Don't tear your speakers. I tried something like that, and though it sounded great (too great in an apartment block) the occasional bass cone movements were alarming. Maybe 857 has better AGC, or better audio path in general, but watch it.

Juha
ghost123uk
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 26TM953

Post by ghost123uk »

I have been a pro electronics engineer for much of my adult life.

Don't use the ext speaker socket. That is designed to feed a low impedance speaker and is powered by an amp that produces too much power for an audio input on a Hi-Fi.

The very simple, and perfectly good way to do it is to use that headphone socket. It is designed to feed a higher impedance device (headphones) and it's amp is very much less powerful than the ext speaker one.

You just need one of these ->

It will work just fine.
Simples 8)
John, on the S. Cheshire / N. Shropshire border. 26TM953 / muppet handle "Grey ghost"
Don't just monitor, key up and talk, otherwise everyone thinks no one else is out there !!!
nay27uk
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by nay27uk »

Nice one thanks ghost will put the ONKYO to use for the radio too then
M6LIG / 2E0LIG / 26TM1995

Baofeng UV5R+
Boafeng RD-5R
YAESU FT-857D - Watson W50 - HF-SE-360
Malahit SDR - Ground Loop
Panasonic DR28-LBE
ghost123uk
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 26TM953

Post by ghost123uk »

John, on the S. Cheshire / N. Shropshire border. 26TM953 / muppet handle "Grey ghost"
Don't just monitor, key up and talk, otherwise everyone thinks no one else is out there !!!