chinese cigar adaptors beware

The place to talk about specific amateur radio equipment and all types of accessories, fixes, repairs and modification.
Auldgeek
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: GM0BRJ

Re: chinese cigar adaptors beware

Post by Auldgeek »

bitman wrote:simple if it isn't working then i'm back at Halfords and they will sort you out. wish you lot of luck with your Chinese seller somewhere far east
Perhaps, a little inconvenient but if purchased through eBay, the buyer has considerable protection. More often than not, a seller will simply refund your money as it's not worth their while getting involved in returns, especially if it's under £10.
Halfords and Maplin etc, are useful but as this thread was originally about poor QC and cheap Chinese products, I don't see how these stores are any better in that respect as that's exactly where their stuff comes from.

A point of fact, two years ago, I purchased a trolly jack from Halfords and it failed on me on its very first use. Luckily, it didn't damage me or the car but it didn't last a crack and I remember it was made in China so just because you buy from a local store, doesn't mean you get a good product.

Grant you, I know you can just go back to the store and argue the toss with them instead of email etc.
Auldgeek - Drew

Winner of IBTL Autumn 23 Edition
I've changed radios so many times, I've forgotten what I have :think:
oh5nxo
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: oh5nxo

Post by oh5nxo »

Is it easier to list the _good_ ones ? Hirschman 2-in-1 Hella & cigarette lighter plug from the auto parts store is not bad. The red part tends to melt with 20A loads, though. It might be a good idea to install a Hella jack into the radio car.

Juha
ghost123uk
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 26TM953

Post by ghost123uk »

Admiral wrote:I often find it hard to comprehend some of the goods in pound shop style emporiums, you need raw materials, manufacturing, packaging, transportation, and then there's still enough profit left in it for the MD of the pound place......
And enough profit for the Chinese manufactures too. Bearing in mind what you say above, some of the prices are literally unbelievable. It's a plot I tell you, to take over the whole worlds manufacturing by selling at a loss, then when no-one else is making stuff, they hike their prices by 1000% and we will have no alternative but to pay them.
John, on the S. Cheshire / N. Shropshire border. 26TM953 / muppet handle "Grey ghost"
Don't just monitor, key up and talk, otherwise everyone thinks no one else is out there !!!
theEarwigger
Call Sign: M0RZF

Post by theEarwigger »

Wish I could buy a non-Chinese adaptor.

Tried 3 different types, and the spring in all of them melts when you try to put through more than about 5A constantly. Not found one wired arse about though.
Tim
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26AT239

Post by Tim »

Have you considered trying one that has not got the spring and fuse in it and wired it with an in-line fuse instead? Seems like the ones you've tried, the spring is the weak link, or alternatively you could swap out the spring for a stronger one, from an in-line fuse holder perhaps?
cb4ever104
Legend
Legend

Post by cb4ever104 »

I usually try and add the word "quality" when searching for stuff . Saying that it's almost always Chinese stuff in the end . As previously stated , it's a world we've created for ourselves .

Sammy
30TM060
Paul aka "Sammy". (108) PY60 Old Paisley DX Group (RIP Rab Markie)
Ex GM0 , now EA5 .
Handle "Fortune Hunter" back in "the day"
Radios ....? Anything that says "TAIWAN R.O.C" on the back.