chinese cigar adaptors beware

The place to talk about specific amateur radio equipment and all types of accessories, fixes, repairs and modification.
mastercare
Call Sign: g4sbx

chinese cigar adaptors beware

Post by mastercare »

ive bought 2 of these now and found both to be wired back to front that is red is negative and the back positive.
cheers
LeakyFeeder
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: chinese cigar adaptors beware

Post by LeakyFeeder »

Can u pop up a pic so we have an idea what to avoid
RadioPixie
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26TM552

Post by RadioPixie »

I would like to know myself as I need to get one for a friend. Don't take long to check with DMM, but then that's not the point. That's terrible quality control.
73 from Dave the Pixie - 26CT052 - 26TM552 - CB Radioaficionado
mastercare
Call Sign: g4sbx

Post by mastercare »

Hi guys ive had 2 these now faulty they are supplied with qyt kt7900 8900 8900d and various chinese rigs or you can buy the on their own on ebay from which these 2 came from...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
WeatherWatcher
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by WeatherWatcher »

Had no problems with mine - but they did come with radios.
26TM5890
Call Sign: 26TM5890

Post by 26TM5890 »

i just buy them at Halfords around the corner as i hate Chinese junk
Elecraft K2
President Grant II Premium
Auldgeek
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: GM0BRJ

Post by Auldgeek »

bitman wrote:i just buy them at Halfords around the corner as i hate Chinese junk
Problem is, what isn't these days? Almost everything is made in China, even the so called major manufacturers.

It's the QC that's sh**e from the local sweat shop!
Auldgeek - Drew

Winner of IBTL Autumn 23 Edition
I've changed radios so many times, I've forgotten what I have :think:
ghost123uk
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 26TM953

Post by ghost123uk »

I seriously worry about the long term effects of the markets being flooded with cheap, totally rubbish Chinese sh1te.

The "proper" manufacturers just can't compete on prices and lets face it, many folk are swayed by the price. They are being forced out of business, leaving us with a Chinese monopoly = a dangerous situation imho.
John, on the S. Cheshire / N. Shropshire border. 26TM953 / muppet handle "Grey ghost"
Don't just monitor, key up and talk, otherwise everyone thinks no one else is out there !!!
Buick Mackane

Post by Buick Mackane »

kilimax wrote:
bitman wrote: i hate Chinese junk
Problem is, what isn't these days? !
Irn bru & haggis :thumbup:

I only buy electronic components from china, Just a few quids worth, And only on the odd occasion, As waiting 5 years for delivery puts me off, But aye, Most of it is fake junk.

Ive always been tempted to send for one of those £2.50 chinese soldering irons just to see what you get for your money, Probably 1st degree burns and 10 years of skin grafting

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/S-PC-PCB-60W- ... 2808519187
I Am the great cornholio are you threatening me ?
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

Sadly we the greedy sods of the Western World have been culpable in creating this Chinese electronics situation, we wanted cheap, disposable stuff, we got it, the trade-off is that half of this crap will either electrocute you or burn your house down.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
ghost123uk
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 26TM953

Post by ghost123uk »

Bring back the Kitemark I say !!!
John, on the S. Cheshire / N. Shropshire border. 26TM953 / muppet handle "Grey ghost"
Don't just monitor, key up and talk, otherwise everyone thinks no one else is out there !!!
Auldgeek
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: GM0BRJ

Post by Auldgeek »

Admiral wrote:Sadly we the greedy sods of the Western World have been culpable in creating this Chinese electronics situation, we wanted cheap, disposable stuff, we got it, the trade-off is that half of this crap will either electrocute you or burn your house down.
I couldn't agree with you more Admiral. While we have mostly benefited from this, the proliferation of poor quality goods has sky rocketed and the online distant selling marketplace such as eBay only serve to encourage it.

That being said, so long as the consumer employs common sense, most of the time, there will be no problems.
I've purchased a number of items from China and on the whole, they have been fine. For us radio enthusiasts, companies like TYT and Baefong have provided many of us with very cheap and surprisingly good radios. You would never have predicted just how cheap these would be to buy and the quality is very good.

As you say, it's a trade off but I'm sure most of us are willing to roll the dice!
Auldgeek - Drew

Winner of IBTL Autumn 23 Edition
I've changed radios so many times, I've forgotten what I have :think:
26TM5890

Post by 26TM5890 »

simple if it isn't working then i'm back at Halfords and they will sort you out. wish you lot of luck with your Chinese seller somewhere far east
Elecraft K2
26TM5890

Post by 26TM5890 »

have been working in a warehouse years back when we had to destroy a whole 40ft container with welding headshields due the fact they were dangerous and NOT protecting your eyes. those cheap Chinese companies trying their luck and keep sending junk overflowing UK Customs to check every single container is almost impossible.
same goes for those Baofeng radio's sold as free to use walkie talkies (PMR) but are only usable by licensed amateurs and even then needs to be re-programmed as the default frequencies are wrong.
but in these days people don't seam to care as it needs to be cheap. so why are we not just driving all without drivings licenses ignoring all traffic signs / signals and killing each other...

now try to sell something in China as a European company... no chance to flood their market with junk

just my 5cents
Elecraft K2
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

I often find it hard to comprehend some of the goods in pound shop style emporiums, you need raw materials, manufacturing, packaging, transportation, and then there's still enough profit left in it for the MD of the pound place to become a millionaire. I reckon that if everyone saved their receipt from these places and used the statutory 12 months guarantee and returned everything that failed within the 12 month period then these pound places would all go bankrupt overnight.
Good point on some of the Chinese radios, but they can make them cheap because they spent zero on R&D because they just copied someone elses radio.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition