Help needed background noise on my Icom ic-706 11g

The place to talk about specific amateur radio equipment and all types of accessories, fixes, repairs and modification.
WARLOCK
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26TM134

Help needed background noise on my Icom ic-706 11g

Post by WARLOCK »

Is there any way i can cut out the 9+ of noise i am receiving most of the time on my Icom ic-706 11g g radio, i have read the manual ??? can anyone please tell me in plain english what do i need to do to cut some if not all of this unwanted noise.
paulears
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: G4RMT

Re: Help needed background noise on my Icom ic-706 11g

Post by paulears »

It depends if the noise in local interference, or just band noise - we'd need an audio sample to be able to comment. Sometimes if it's local to you filters can work, but is it on any particular band, on any frequency, or everywhere, all the time?
WARLOCK
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by WARLOCK »

I think my noise is local to me i normaly get 03 to 04 noise but it sudenly shoots up to 20 for a wile it is comeing in by the antenna because if i take the antenna out i loose the noise is there any type of filter that would maybe help ???
paulears
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by paulears »

There could be a filter, or there might not be - pulling the antenna out proves it isn't generated in the radio - exactly what it is we still don't know. Impulse noise, digital noise, wide-band, narrow band, frequency specific, background noise? You're really saying, something's wrong with the food I cooked - what is it? No idea - just wild guesses. We need to hear it to try to work out what it is, then advise on removing it with the right device.
WARLOCK
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by WARLOCK »

Thanks paulears for trying to help. I think i will just have to put up with the noise as i do not know how to let you hear the noise,and at 71 years young i think it is too late to learn new tricks as i said thank you for trying
paulears
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by paulears »

Ok - does your phone record sound? You could record it and then email that to me if your phone does emails? Nowadays there are so many noise sources that the solutions are really varied - could you describe it in words? Probably not as words don't really do sound justice.

Are you in a local radio club? I'm sure one of them would be happy to come and have a listen and help you out?
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

Is this noise on an out of band frequency? The 706 has very narrow low pass filters.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
oh5nxo
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: oh5nxo

Post by oh5nxo »

So it's intermittent and everywhere on the dial? Does it diminish on the highest/lowest band you can tune to? Can you hear periodicity if you give a whirl to the vfo?
Some random guesses: a laptop/whatever charger, a sparking thermostat (old style) or a weldshop across the street.

Juha