Wouxun X1M thingy mi bob

The place to talk about specific amateur radio equipment and all types of accessories, fixes, repairs and modification.
nay27uk
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Wouxun X1M thingy mi bob

Post by nay27uk »

OK I am thinking ahead here BUT.

When I pass my Foundation Licence, my boat is not at all floated by VHF/UHF, HF is where my heart lies.

So On a budget I have found this little QRP Transceiver that is well within my budget.

It is called a Wouxun X1M Platinum Now "WHEN I PASS" (All capitalised and quoted because that is how determined I am to pass) the foundation I am thinking of getting one and running it through a power amp to push it to full Foundation License output of 10W The only thing that puts me off with it is that it does not seem to have any S-Meter of any description.

Does anyone know how to add an external S-Meter to it (I know this may involve opening it up and doing some soldering) but if I did then would that be a breach of the Foundation License? (Only Commercial Transceivers, Kits, and none modified Rigs according to the License).

Sorry but as a new Foundation Licence holder (after Passing It) I will still be quite new to the whole Amateure Radio hobby and while learning more about the hobby I will need some sort of an S-Meter.

Is adding an S-Meter to a comercial Radio (that has none) in line with the License specifications?
M6LIG / 2E0LIG / 26TM1995

Baofeng UV5R+
Boafeng RD-5R
YAESU FT-857D - Watson W50 - HF-SE-360
Malahit SDR - Ground Loop
Panasonic DR28-LBE
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Re: Wouxun X1M thingy mi bob

Post by Admiral »

Seems a lot of faffing around to me, the components in that thing will be barely visible to the human eye, if you could tap an S-meter, where would you put it? It would look stupid. If you fancy one of them then get one, and just tell everyone they're 5+9 like everyone else does.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
paulears
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: G4RMT

Post by paulears »

If it emulates the Icom radio - then presumably the remote control software for that will also function and that has an S meter - however, if it doesn't, don't lose any sleep at all. S Meters really are not by any means essential, and most are hopelessly inaccurate anyway. Your ear always gives you a much better signal strength idea than the meter - just by the background noise and clarity.

I've not seen this radio and it looks a fine beast - and well designed.
DX-Digger
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: TM205

Post by DX-Digger »

Having read a few reviews, the X1M seems to have issues, AGC for one, so if you get strong signals close by they will block the one you are trying to copy, although there are mods available to cure this issue. Sadly you cant do them but you could get a full licence ham who knows what he is doing to do it for you, however that would invalidate any warranty you may have.
Also reading the manual the filtering for out of band signals seems non existent, so putting your amplifier on the end of this radio would probably
cause interference to other RF spectrum users and not just in the Ham Bands.!

Being honest here I would save your money and look for an FT817 they have an excellent pedigree and would be ideal for a first time radio.
Thats just my honest opinion.
Cheers Mark

P.S. Yes you will pass the novice its dead easy
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
WeatherWatcher
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by WeatherWatcher »

FT817 radios are brilliant when you master the menus, and can use most of the features . The only downside I found was the rechargeable battery packs eventually need replacing - hence why mine is sitting in it's box doing nothing.
nay27uk
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by nay27uk »

Yeah thanks again all for the help.
I think I will go the GumTree rout and get an FT817 (eBay is just silly money) someone on a YouTube video I was talking to about the above mentioned Wouxun suggested the FT817ND so I looked at a few vids on them and they look like a nice radio that can be had on GumTree for about £300 ish

Baofeng UV5R+
Boafeng RD-5R
Panasonic DR28-LBE
paulears
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by paulears »

DX-Digger wrote:Sadly you cant do them but you could get a full licence ham who knows what he is doing to do it for you,
Not quite sure why? A non-ham who can solder and is ok with electronics (like TV service engineers) could do the mods, if they have access to a bit of test gear - and not that many hams of any license type have these things laying to hand?

Sure these things have a reduced spec, but surely are a good starting point? If you immediately want to start with high power, then not for you, but simple and basic rigs have always been available and are a good way in. Trouble is, all the newer radios are too expensive second hand, unless you find a real plonker selling one for a crazy price. People still give five hundred quid plus for twenty year old HF kit - just how it is?
owza
Call Sign: M0

Post by owza »

>Not quite sure why?

As an incentive to do the Intermediate.
DX-Digger
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: TM205

Post by DX-Digger »

paulears wrote:
Not quite sure why?
Because a full licence ham is allowed to modify gear for the ham bands. I guess you dont know many hams then, as most of my ham friends have
excellent test equipment and the knowledge to go with it. Its an incentive to get you to upgrade your licence.
Sure these things have a reduced spec, but surely are a good starting point? If you immediately want to start with high power, then not for you, but simple and basic rigs have always been available and are a good way in. Trouble is, all the newer radios are too expensive second hand, unless you find a real plonker selling one for a crazy price. People still give five hundred quid plus for twenty year old HF kit - just how it is?
Thats the point the spec is not up to scratch and I dont think it is type approved, and due to the fact that he wants to plug his amplifier into the the back for more power is looking for TVI problems and upsetting his neighbours. and worse still if his signal splatters all across the bands upsetting other Hams on the band, which is the last thing he wants with him just being licenced etc.

Im not having a go at him I just think with a better spec radio his introduction to ham radio will be a lot smoother one.
Nobody says Ham radio is a cheap hobby, it isnt. but the usual rule applies you get what you pay for.

:thumbup:
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
stanogs68
Veteran
Veteran

Post by stanogs68 »

it looks a nice radio dont know much about it but it looks nice ,just bang a 400w linear amp through it ,only kidding let us know how you get on with it
love your familly
nay27uk
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by nay27uk »

No I'm gonna go with the Yaesu Stan

Baofeng UV5R+
Boafeng RD-5R
Panasonic DR28-LBE
paulears
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by paulears »

I must admit I've totally missed this element of the rules in my return to radio, since passing in 1980. I didn't realise that novices cannot use home-brew kit, or repair/modify the equipment they are allowed to use? That's very odd in my view. Surely being able to understand how your radio works is the most important skill?

As for full licensed people with test gear? I'm sure that my local radio club has the essential kit, but from the people I know, very few have more than maybe a VSWR meter and maybe a power meter. Some will have, like me, analysers of all kinds and the ability to see what their kit does, spectrum wise - but most have very basic test kit.

I'll have to have a look at the rules for the Novices - seems very odd to give them access to bands but not need them to be able to tune a filter or solve EMF issues? Looking at the rubbish that comes out of many cheap radios, they're probably the cause of more grief than their users are aware!