Mobile antenna mounts?

The place to talk about specific amateur radio equipment and all types of accessories, fixes, repairs and modification.
WeatherWatcher
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Mobile antenna mounts?

Post by WeatherWatcher »

OK I have a mount ready to fit but don't want the antenna on all the time, suggestions for something to protect the SO239 when no antenna is fitted.
Mount is a hatchmount held on with grubscrews, taking it off on a weekly basis would be stupid . I would remove the antenna when the car is not being used which can be 3 or 4 days a week - I don't trust the local oikes on a Friday/Saturday night
26TM931
Regular
Regular

Re: Mobile antenna mounts?

Post by 26TM931 »

WeatherWatcher wrote:OK I have a mount ready to fit but don't want the antenna on all the time, suggestions for something to protect the SO239 when no antenna is fitted.
Mount is a hatchmount held on with grubscrews, taking it off on a weekly basis would be stupid . I would remove the antenna when the car is not being used which can be 3 or 4 days a week - I don't trust the local oikes on a Friday/Saturday night
HI
What I have done is:
Get a old SO 239 plug, remove the center bit to keep the screw bit,
then get a Tyre valve ( the black bit that goes in a wheel)
then pull the rubber bit through screw bit, make sure the valve cap is kept on and you have a water proof cap !

Also you do get some people asking why you have a Tyre valve on the top of the car !!
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

A condom should work.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
2SG

Post by 2SG »

One of these?...
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SIRIO-WEATHER ... Swcu5URm4N

The metal ones are actually better, but I don't see anyone in the UK flogging them.