Cobra 21X FM converstion to 40 Meters

The place to talk about specific amateur radio equipment and all types of accessories, fixes, repairs and modification.
StormShadow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Cobra 21X FM converstion to 40 Meters

Post by StormShadow »

Hi there, I had an old broken Cobra 21X FM CB radio so it was perfect for converting it into a 40 Meter LSB rig. Well there wasn't a lot to it really the first thing I did was remove any useful components from the main board like the xtal and a couple other little bits, so to cut it a long story short I removed the board, unfortunately the speaker was no good either so I had to find a donor CB, luckily I had a spare speaker in my junk box, the other down side is that it didn't have its power socket either otherwise I would have used that in my project too.

To get the CB from FM to LSB and drop the frequency from 27 MHz down to 7 MHz I just replaced the board with a 40 meter kit :D

I spent 1 night and one morning building this It didn't take me long to solder everything onto the board. The bit that took the most time was making everything fit the way I wanted, I had a bit of trouble getting the volt meter in where I wanted it to be, but the tuning cap was in the way so I had to find a way to make them fit together and after some thinking, with much cursing and cussing I got it done. I took out the red piece of plastic on the face where the channel display would be and replaced that with a piece of transparent blue plexiglass that I cut out as everything will light up in blue on the front. I also made it some feet out of 2 soda bottle lids. The L.E.D will be blue while on RX and turns red on TX. It looks a lot better off camera, my camera doesn't seem to like the blue lights. I know it looks bright but its just the camera.

I will be adding some modifications to it at a later stage, so there are some wires not connected to anything.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by StormShadow on 18 Feb 2016, 11:54, edited 3 times in total.
Crusader
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Cobra 21X FM converstion to 40 Meters

Post by Crusader »

:lol: Now that is mad,wow some effort gone in there just to get on 80m even though it is just a 40m kit in a cobra chassis,but respect to you for building it,make sure you fit a roger bleep & echo just to keep them happy on 80m ;) seriously well done :thumbup:
Last edited by Crusader on 17 Feb 2016, 14:26, edited 1 time in total.
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

Is the speaker shown the before or after version?
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
StormShadow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by StormShadow »

That speaker was the only spare one I had. I do have 2 more CB chassis that will soon also be QRP Ham transceivers but I didn't wanna take the speakers out of them. I'm hoping to get something for 20 meters to take camping with me during the summer months.
prettypolly
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26FB185

Post by prettypolly »

im waiting for the jentec version ..
Crusader
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Crusader »

prettypolly wrote:im waiting for the jentec version ..
:lol: Class :D