ft-221 cleanup and repair

The place to talk about specific amateur radio equipment and all types of accessories, fixes, repairs and modification.
TangoCharlie18

Re: ft-221 cleanup and repair

Post by TangoCharlie18 »

Get to what?

OK, ok, don't tell me, I like guessing games.
Unhindered by talent
Crusader
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Crusader »

Just to bring the talk of the FT-221R back on topic from the nonsense,i have now bought the FT-221R off Chris,when he sent me the message about the PLL unlock it was what a friend had suggested to him,i did not know this & thought that it was confirmed that the radio had this problem,also i posted the link to the ebay advert asking whether the PLL issue had been fixed as i was genuinely interested in buying the radio,anyway all sorted now as a deal has now been done,nice one :)
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

Crusader wrote:Just to bring the talk of the FT-221R back on topic from the nonsense,i have now bought the FT-221R off Chris,when he sent me the message about the PLL unlock it was what a friend had suggested to him,i did not know this & thought that it was confirmed that the radio had this problem,also i posted the link to the ebay advert asking whether the PLL issue had been fixed as i was genuinely interested in buying the radio,anyway all sorted now as a deal has now been done,nice one :)

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
Crusader
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Crusader »

Yeah all sorted now Admiral :) i was just baffled more than anything why he did'nt get back to me about the radio then next thing i saw it on ebay,turns out Chris does not have a 2 meter antenna to test it 100% hence why he said "unable to fully test" in the ebay advert,i was unaware of this but he has told me that it is putting output power out into a dummy laod & has rx as he could hear his local repeater using a Sirio 827,worst case scenario if it ain't 100% i will part it out & make a few quid :)
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

It's a nice old bit of kit, not for me as my 2m SSB days are long gone, but it won't go down in value, would be worth more than that as individual modules.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
Crusader
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Crusader »

Hi Admiral,if it is working fine i may keep it,thing is VHF parts do not fetch as much nor sell as quickly as HF parts,but i don't mind if it takes 12 months to sell the parts as it all adds up :)
dt307
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 163dt307

Post by dt307 »

2m is crap round here so pulled down the antenna long long time ago,I ain't out to con or rip off any one,the 142 project got finished and I sold it to a friend for 20 pound lol he don't have money ,pension ect so its fine for me,
Listing stuff on the bay there is no need to confuse people and say the tx was intermittent cleaned the relays ect, gave it a test with the antenna I have and say it "how it is " and listed it as spares
Even said I will refund you if you not happy
So its all good
163dt307-chris

“I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots.”
― Albert Einstein
dt307
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by dt307 »

Wow now I am reading this what's been said
163dt307-chris

“I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots.”
― Albert Einstein
Crusader
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Crusader »

dt307 wrote:Wow now I am reading this what's been said
:lol: Read back & you will see,you done nowt wrong so chill ;)
Last edited by Crusader on 17 Feb 2016, 19:10, edited 1 time in total.
Crusader
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Crusader »

dt307 wrote: Listing stuff on the bay there is no need to confuse people and say the tx was intermittent cleaned the relays ect, gave it a test with the antenna I have and say it "how it is " and listed it as spares
Even said I will refund you if you not happy
So its all good

No worries Chris,i trust you,i just wanted clarification with regards to if there were any known problems with it as you never got back to me on here before you went & listed it on ebay,anyways all sorted now & a massive thankyou for the freebie your throwing in ;)
Crusader
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Crusader »

Update guys...the FT-221 arrived yesterday,been doing a few jobs on it,gave it a thorough cleaning,fitted an s meter bulb,quick peak on rx & tx using the service manual data,x2 original feet on the side casings replaced with original ones also x2 replacement feet on the underneath,replacement clips to hold the top cover on which are better than the original ones as they go brittle & snap now due to their age,original YE-7A microphone on it,also i have removed the pre amp that was inside it & it now has an external Dressler VV2 Gaas pre amp on it instead which from what info i can find adds 17-19 db gain & so is really pulling stations in :),next job is to acquire a external CTCSS unit as there is a tone in socket on the back of the radio,also i would'nt mind some of the fixed channel xtal's if any of you have any lying about? anyway's fact is that i am made up with it & it works a treat, Cheers Chris :thumbup: :D

http://s1379.photobucket.com/user/CRUSA ... ary/FT-221
dt307
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by dt307 »

glad you like it m8
163dt307-chris

― Albert Einstein
Crusader
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Crusader »

Cheers Chris,pulling in stations for fun,GB3MP repeater which is about 70 miles from me on an S9 :)
Crusader
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Crusader »

Just got these x2 for an absolute steal at £65 posted :) both are the "R" model,hopefully be some of the channelised crystals in them or hopefully best case scenario a Mutek front end in one of them,here's hopin :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Buick Mackane

Post by Buick Mackane »

Crusader wrote:Just got these x2 for an absolute steal at £65 posted :) both are the "R" model,hopefully be some of the channelised crystals in them or hopefully best case scenario a Mutek front end in one of them,here's hopin :D
Yer out of luck this time me auld mucker, I sold them as scrap last year, All thats left inside them is cobwebs :(
I Am the great cornholio are you threatening me ?