Silver rod on 4m ?

The place to talk about specific amateur radio equipment and all types of accessories, fixes, repairs and modification.
FERNOX
Regular
Regular

Silver rod on 4m ?

Post by FERNOX »

hi all started messing with what i believe is a old silver rod last year with a friend trying to mod it to work on 70 mhz, has anyone done anything like this with one ? , we removed coil from below black plastic cap becaue we had no joy tuning it with it in place :) , and no joy afterwards lol, just wondering if anyone has modded coil section, cheers
GeeFull
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Silver rod on 4m ?

Post by GeeFull »

FERNOX wrote:hi all started messing with what i believe is a old silver rod last year with a friend trying to mod it to work on 70 mhz, has anyone done anything like this with one ? , we removed coil from below black plastic cap becaue we had no joy tuning it with it in place :) , and no joy afterwards lol, just wondering if anyone has modded coil section, cheers
Couple of ways people go about this:

First there is the method turning one into a J pole:

A "J-pole" half-wave vertical for 4m converted from a "silver-rod" CB antenna by G7OGQ and G8CVF:
http://www.70mhz.org/index.php?category ... icleid=280

Or to keep it as an end fed, the coil design/advice here could be copied, incorporated into bottom of Silver Rod, and the top section adjusted to suitable half wave resonant length:

Vertical half-wave aerials for 4 m by Ross G6GVI:
http://www.70mhz.org/index.php?category ... icleid=278
steepeljack69
Call Sign: 26SF333

Re: Silver rod on 4m ?

Post by steepeljack69 »

I have the one that is the bottom and top section of a silver rod plus the coil removed and replaced by some components. I got mine off Mark who builds and sells the Cobwebb Aerials on eBay.This 4m vertical he builds and also sells on the bay works amazingly!if anyone is wanting a good aerial for 4m u won't go wrong with one of these.The Sirio 4m vertical suffer with water,they soon go off the scale when u check the swr,stay away,be warned.