Want to take my Foundation

A place to discuss the amateur radio licence, training and examination.
stanogs68
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Want to take my Foundation

Post by stanogs68 »

nay27uk wrote:OK so first night did my Morse Appreciation and passed so thats good, now where do I buy a key and have it make noise with no radio like in the class?
whats that nathan clap your hand at dots lol,made up for you good luck mate :thumbup:
love your familly
Metradio
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: G7HID

Post by Metradio »

paulears wrote:....Are there any figures on pass rates for the radio exam? Does anyone ever fail? I have my suspicions they don't.
From what I gather most of the radio courses and exams are run by local radio clubs and money changes hands, so it is difficult to fail more than the odd candidate. I think they get around the odds and sods who do not have a clue is to repeat the exam again and again till they do pass.
Nobody can fail the morse as it is an appreciation of it rather than an exam.

Mike
Connect Systems CS750 and CS800, Hytera PD-365, Motorola DP4600.
Raspberry Pi 2 and DV4Mini HotSpot.
AOR AR-DV1 Digital Voice Receiver / eSPY on ARD V1.

Whistler WS1088 / TRX-1 / Whistler Q / UBCD3600XLT / WTR Browser.
WeatherWatcher
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by WeatherWatcher »

Have what was considered a bible when I first got my licence - Jessop's VHF/UHF Manual 4th edition 35mm thick covering Amplifiers, Antenna and all sorts with equations and reference tables as well .
2m High power amp using 4CX250B valves., Wave guide and making your own antennae including dishes
paulears
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: G4RMT

Post by paulears »

I've been out too long - you can do a Morse exam that doesn't need you to read or send Morse? The world has gone mad. I wonder if the next operation you have the Doctor passed the surgery element by talking about it and watching a video?

The world truly has gone mad - or have I misunderstood?
mercury888
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: M0RVB

Post by mercury888 »

It's a taster only - you can write the dots and dashes down and decode from the card they give you. It is not a Morse exam.
CB: President Grant II (1980's handle: Bootstrap; now 26TM868)
ADS-B: FR24 T-EGNM-63
Yaseu FT450D; Signal R535; W-SDRX1 + Gnu Radio and CubicSDR
Baofeng UV5R; TYT MD380; Trio TR-9130
Metradio
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Metradio »

The Foundation license is a good thing, as long as a time limitation is put on it - 1 or 2 years, in which time the Novice exam needs to be passed or the license expires. Those with the willingness to go further can do so, others will fall to natural wastage..

Mike

mercury888
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: M0RVB

Post by mercury888 »

Metradio wrote:The Foundation license is a good thing, as long as a time limitation is put on it - 1 or 2 years, in which time the Novice exam needs to be passed or the license expires. Those with the willingness to go further can do so, others will fall to natural wastage
What about those who find that 10W is all they ever need and thus have no need to go to the next level?
CB: President Grant II (1980's handle: Bootstrap; now 26TM868)
ADS-B: FR24 T-EGNM-63
Yaseu FT450D; Signal R535; W-SDRX1 + Gnu Radio and CubicSDR
Baofeng UV5R; TYT MD380; Trio TR-9130
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

Metradio wrote:The Foundation license is a good thing, as long as a time limitation is put on it - 1 or 2 years, in which time the Novice exam needs to be passed or the license expires. Those with the willingness to go further can do so, others will fall to natural wastage..

Mike
Whoa, steady on tiger, should every person that passes the driving test be time limited to pass the Institute of Advanced Drivers test, and then RoSPA Gold? No, it is what it is, if someone is comfortable with a Foundation licence then so be it for me.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
Metradio
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Metradio »

mercury888 wrote:
Metradio wrote:The Foundation license is a good thing, as long as a time limitation is put on it - 1 or 2 years, in which time the Novice exam needs to be passed or the license expires. Those with the willingness to go further can do so, others will fall to natural wastage
What about those who find that 10W is all they ever need and thus have no need to go to the next level?
Would be like spending the rest of your car/motorbike driving years on L plates...

Mike

Metradio
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Metradio »

Admiral wrote:....Whoa, steady on tiger, should every person that passes the driving test be time limited to pass the Institute of Advanced Drivers test, and then RoSPA Gold? No, it is what it is, if someone is comfortable with a Foundation licence then so be it for me.
Thinking about it, as long as the Foundation licence holders are happy about it, us Full and Novice licence holders at least have a group of people to look down upon..

Mike

Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

Well, as a G8 from a few decades ago I know what it's like to be looked down upon, and now that by default I have become a full licence holder I do not do the same to others.

But I do get that your statement is said tongue-in-cheek as mild humour, at least I hope it is.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
Metradio
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Metradio »

Admiral wrote:Well, as a G8 from a few decades ago I know what it's like to be looked down upon, and now that by default I have become a full licence holder I do not do the same to others.

But I do get that your statement is said tongue-in-cheek as mild humour, at least I hope it is.
I am too old and senile to take anything too seriously :)

Mike

Farty
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Farty »

I held my M6 for 7 years before I bothered to do my 2E0. To this day I still haven't used over 10W, seeing as QRP datamodes is my main transmitting interest, and I've no plans to ever do my full.

If someone wants to stay a FL holder for ever then let them. Why the hell not?
In Before The Lock Champion of Total Magnificenceness May 2016
Metradio
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Metradio »

What was your reasoning to do the Novice 2E0 ??

Mike

nay27uk
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by nay27uk »

Thanks all.

OK I do know that the Morse thingy is now only an Appreciation of Morse hence me pointing that out in my last post.

Let me say this, I have never even attempted to do any Morse so to me and the teacher I did very well considering I am dyslexic and in my head I have to go through the whole alphabet just to know what letter comes after what letter even with it in front of me on paper.

I have always been interested in Morse and regularly listen to it on my SW Radio while going to sleep (my other half says I am stupid for listening to it and does not grasp what it actualy meens to us all on an historical level), even if I could never understand what was being said I have always loved it, Now I have done it myself although only an Appreciation it has made me proud to have done it and made me want to take the extra Morse classes that they do at The Leicester Radio Society.

Yes it is only an Appreciation but it is something that I never thought in a million years that I could do with my dyslexia, I learned the Phonetic Alphabet in 1990 but in a radio QSO I still have to have my location written down in front of me (Leicester for example) for me to know what letter comes after L in the word Leicester for example and then I have to convert that L or E in to its Phonetic Alphabet counterpart for my location, so Morse is a hell of a lot harder for me.

I have wanted to take my first part of my Amateur licence since 1990 but have always put myself off doing so because of the Morse thing, Because I don't think I could do it due to the lack of self esteem that comes with dyslexia and aspergers, but having been heavily into SWL again since 2005 I have finally plucked the courage up to go and do this (I am 42 in June and life is passing me by, if I don't do this before I pass then I will pass knowing I never achieved what I always wanted to do).

That is all I wanted to point out so I will now go QRT and say 73's
M6LIG / 2E0LIG / 26TM1995

Baofeng UV5R+
Boafeng RD-5R
YAESU FT-857D - Watson W50 - HF-SE-360
Malahit SDR - Ground Loop
Panasonic DR28-LBE