Margate kent

A place for new members to say hello and to introduce yourself.

If you're not sure where to post, try here!
Dizzy49
New User
New User

Margate kent

Post by Dizzy49 »

Hi guys I'm a old boi from margate. I wanted a little hobby for myself . I live close to the sea near margate. So I purchased a baofeng uv5r. Like I said I'm a complete amateur on this . So I got my scanner turned it on and started scanning ...guess...not picking anything up. Do I need to do anything before I start scanning...re programme it or anything like that. Does any one hear from Margate have any 2019 frequencies I could try..any help would great.tyia.
Werthers
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Re: Margate kent

Post by Werthers »

Welcome to the forum. To be honest there isn't much on Analog radio anymore or at least not anything all that interesting to listen too.

If your scanner has HF SSB you can listen to Shortwave and Ham transmissions, morse code and so on.

Some older cordless phones are on 30 MHz upwards to 40MHz and baby monitors from 40MHz to 49 MHz then you have the 6 Meter Ham band on 50 MHz to 52 MHz.

4 meters is 70MHz to 70.500MHz

VHF you have Air Band AM 109 MHz to 138MHz then from 138MHz to 143MHz are London Buses or possibly Kent buses then from 144MHz to 146MHz you have 2 Meters International Space Station on 145.800MHz

You have Marine band somewhere around 156MHz "its been a while since I listened to Marine band" so I can't remember the exact frequencies.

On UHF you have 70cm from 430MHz to 440MHz on 442MHz is the BBC studios and other related TV stuff going on around 442 MHz then you have PMR 446 on 446MHz and 449MHz PMR band.

If you ever get your Ham license I'll give you a shout on GB3EK