Warrington - New Member

A place for new members to say hello and to introduce yourself.

If you're not sure where to post, try here!
Rick68
Regular
Regular

Warrington - New Member

Post by Rick68 »

Hi All, thanks for adding me.
I have recently got back into scanning after a long break (18 years). Now treated myself to an MD380 clone (Retevis RT3) to look into the digital side before spending silly amounts on a digi scanner. I'm sure its not allowed, but could anyone point me in the right direction for obtaining some Talk Groups for the interesting frequencies in Warrington. I have lots of frequencies but need the additional bits and bobs. I have tried to get a cheap SDR running to sniff out the info but am struggling to get it to work, so am a bit stuck. One last question, sorry if its a silly one - will the MD380 open up the squelch if the transmitting talk group is in the list? I'm receiving some transmissions, but I'm sure I'm missing others as the rssi is showing a signal and the LED goes green. Also picking up data on same frequency (analogue FM scanner) so I know there's something being transmitted. Sorry for my long first post, :o thanks for any help.
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Re: Warrington - New Member

Post by Admiral »

Hi Rick, welcome to TM1, have a look around the boards as most of the questions you've asked are written up in some depth here.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
Rick68
Regular
Regular

Post by Rick68 »

Thanks Admiral,
I've had a good scour of the boards, but just can't find the info I'm after. I've noticed that in general the understanding of Time Slots, Talk Groups and Colour Codes doesn't get a lot of explanation. Obviously, the MD380 and similar DMR Handys are designed for transceiving, hence knowing this info for each channel, but using as a scanner is far from easy. I will keep searching and learning, hopefully I will be able to offer a few pointers of my own in time.
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

What most do is get an eight quid RTL dongle and use DSD to snag the CCs and TSs, use the hacked firmware and TGs are not an issue. Once you have the info then stick it into the 380.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
stanogs68
Veteran
Veteran

Post by stanogs68 »

hi rick68 welcome
love your familly
porky.69
Legend
Legend

Post by porky.69 »

welcome rick :thumbup:
This is my Territory.....Be on your way 8)
Rick68
Regular
Regular

Post by Rick68 »

Hi Admiral, Stanogs & Porky, many thanks for the welcomes and info.
This is a brilliant forum and I will be a regular visitor from now on. Just disappointed I've missed out on all those years of scanning!. I've got a cheap Dongle (RTL2838 DVB-T) - not sure if this will do the job but I'll have a go and see where it leads. I'm receiving some Shopwatch, and pubs etc 455.700 , but with my analogue receiver on the same frequency I'm getting data, and a green LED on the MD380, so I'm convinced i'm missing some voice comms on either another CC, TG, or TS. I'll have to get this dongle (or another) going to sniff out the info i'm after.
Thanks again all,
Cheers, Rick.
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin
Call Sign: 26TM175

Post by MrWeetabix »

Welcome to TM1 Rick. I am sure the digi-heads amongst us will set you right :thumbup:
26TM175. OP: Craig. QTH: Gateshead IO94EW. Also 163TM175 when mobile in Wales 8)

Transmission1 on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TM1onFB | Tango Mike on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TangoMikeFB |
Rick68
Regular
Regular

Post by Rick68 »

Thanks Weetabix, I hope so, there are too many parameters to set on these Digi radios :-\ . Very inconsiderate of them to abandon analogue ;-) Should I be posting in a new topic, or is it OK on here? Cheers, Rick
stanogs68
Veteran
Veteran

Post by stanogs68 »

rick get the md380 updated firmware on your radio then you dont need tgs ive had it on both my radios a bit fed up this firmware i have has fancy tools but dosnt get pms no matter what they say
love your familly
Rick68
Regular
Regular

Post by Rick68 »

Thanks Stanogs, I've been looking at Firmwares, but am a bit wary as some have bricked their 380's using the wrong version. I've only just got it so am a bit nervy at the mo - although in time I'm sure I'll upgrade it.
" but dosnt get pms no matter what they say" - pms - is that Private Messages?
Thanks for your help.
stanogs68
Veteran
Veteran

Post by stanogs68 »

it does get pms ,without a doubt on my old one i got them but this new firmware its just about **** if your tx ing
love your familly
stanogs68
Veteran
Veteran

Post by stanogs68 »

sorry s***
love your familly
stanogs68
Veteran
Veteran

Post by stanogs68 »

like diferent roger bleeps ,power mic graphs rubbish the old one got pms but its gone i cant find it ive tried everywere to download it ive tried every upgrade available none has hurt my radio there solid
love your familly
Rick68
Regular
Regular

Post by Rick68 »

So PMS is Private Messages, not Pre Menstrual Syndrome? ;-) I've not ventured into this yet.
To be honest I won't be TXing on Digital, so my 380 will be used purely for RXing. I did see a YouTube Vid with one of the updated firmwares - it did seem to have a lot of extra tools which seemed a bit gimmicky. I much prefer Analogue for TX'ing, either in a group or 1 to 1, it just "works" - no faffing about with lots of silly parameters.