Newbie from teeside

A place for new members to say hello and to introduce yourself.

If you're not sure where to post, try here!
Astro fantom
Regular
Regular

Newbie from teeside

Post by Astro fantom »

Hi all i stumbled accross this site by accident but happy i did though having been a keen cb'er in the late 70's and thru till 87 when i finally give up the radio hobby and got into cars instead..
Its nice to see people are still keeping this hobby alive and i do intend to get back on air again soon and still have an old 148gtl dx and a few other radios kicking around plus an old avanti sigma 2 and an astroplane..
I have some great memories of the old days of cb and ssb and made a lot of great freinds some of whom have become lifelong freinds who i still see to this day..
They where good times back then which where unfortunatly spoilt by the minority abusing the airwaves but would be good to see how things are these days and get back to dx'ing again if there is anyone still on that is...
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin
Call Sign: 26TM175

Re: Newbie from teeside

Post by MrWeetabix »

Welcome to TM1. Glad you stumbled our way and I hope I am not alone in welcoming you to our little corner of the internet and I trust you are made to feel at home amongst us.

Best 73 de Craig
26TM175. OP: Craig. QTH: Gateshead IO94EW. Also 163TM175 when mobile in Wales 8)

Transmission1 on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TM1onFB | Tango Mike on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TangoMikeFB |
Astro fantom
Regular
Regular

Post by Astro fantom »

Thanks craig am sure i will feel right at home here and as i said it great to see so many likeminded people who where on the air backnin the heyday of cb who like myself still have a deep affection for the hobby and the memories its left us with..
I do intend to get back into the dx'ing at aome point and set up a homebase radio just need to clear it with the landlord before i throw a sigma 2 up on the side of the property as a lot of people object these days (never a problem years ago)
Yes i hope to get to know you all very soon buddy 73's phil
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

Hi Phil, welcome to TM1, accident or on purpose, the best move you ever made to make some new like minded friends who know some serious stuff (not me).
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
porky.69
Legend
Legend

Post by porky.69 »

Hi phil welcome to the best radio forum in the uk :thumbup: enjoy matey :D
This is my Territory.....Be on your way 8)
andymuza
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by andymuza »

Hello Phil, welcome aboard the TM1 ship.

Nice to see another fellow Teessider on here, there's a few of us.
I will not be commanded, I will not be controlled.
n+1 the formula for working out how many radios you need with n being the current amount.
Laidbackelevenmeters
Call Sign: 9tm003

Post by Laidbackelevenmeters »

Welcome aboard my freind
sec1223
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by sec1223 »

i used to be on the cb in doggy in the 80's
cant stand IGNORANT b******ds
stanogs68
Veteran
Veteran

Post by stanogs68 »

hi Phil and welcome :thumbup:
love your familly
Astro fantom
Regular
Regular

Post by Astro fantom »

Cheers peeps yeah tis a good place to be and i think im going back to my youth these days and this is part if the process lol
I have many good memories of the old days of cb and ssb and actually looking forward to getting back on air again after many years of absence so on the look out for a decent ssb radio its just a case of finding a good reliable one as my last one (cobra 200dx rev1) decided to give up the will to live anymore so any suggestions would be great
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

Astro fantom wrote: its just a case of finding a good reliable one as my last one (cobra 200dx rev1) decided to give up the will to live anymore so any suggestions would be great
Three choices in 11m only radios, relive your youth and get an old school 30+ year old Uniden like the Cobra 148GTL-DX/Superstar 360FM or a Cybernet like the HI Concorde or NATO2000, or you could come into the 21st Century and get a new SMT radio like an Anytone and it's multiple clones (hence why many refer to them as 'Anyclones'), or have the best of both worlds and get one of each.
You probably already know the pros and cons of old school stuff, just do some research on the new kit as some are crap, they look nice but some perform like a dog and need the same again spending on them from new to make them any good, a good example being the President Lincoln 2.
Trawl through the CB posts on TM1 and have a read up, there are some very knowledgeable and clever people on here who know a peach from a lemon.
Checkout board Mod Oggy, he has a youtube channel where he reviews the latest and greatest, and as he shells out the cost from his own pocket he gives an unbiased opinion that those who get freebies often don't.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
Astro fantom
Regular
Regular

Post by Astro fantom »

Wow fabulous many thanks to you all yeah i actually still have an old cobra 148gtl dx i seem tohave a soft spot for the cobra brand if am being honest hence why i bought a 200dx whrn they where launched and had it fitted to the lorry when i was working in the netherlands altho highly illegal over there no one ever seemed to bother and i got to know some of the locals that way too..
I also have a midland 150m 120ch am/fm in the box and a classic old jaws mk2 in stunning condition..
I have owned the old lincoln and a george too and a host of other including a nato 2000 which people thought was a netto 2000!! Also had various hygain v's which i love but all are the classics though and i like the features of the new smt stuff although finding a good one that wont break anytime soon is a nightmare..
I do fancy a ranger rci2970n2 though but again have heard a few bad reports on those too so may just try an anyclone of some description just to get back into the swing of it again..
This looks to be a cracking site ive had a little spare time to look through inbetween work and sleep and everyone seems to be very knowlageable so yep i know where to be for advice and many thanks to you all
andrew013
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26AT013

Post by andrew013 »

hi and welcome to tm1 looking at your radios the 120ch midland 150m stood out like a ping on a radar screen , i do like the 150 m midlands :D
on air,tyne&wear,northumberland,durham,holy island,eu120+eu124 and anywhere from gateshead/north wales
scrap uk 40 give cbers L/M/Hcalling on 27.355/555 usb qsy 27.015 lsb/410 usb cb radio is for life not just for profits
i do cb radio not 11mtres,countrys worked 2015 with imax 2000 72
MMCMME
Registered New User
Registered New User

Post by MMCMME »

Welcome! Nice to see so many Smoggies in one place :)
Realistic Pro-2042
Grecom PSR-282
Baofeng UV-5R+
RTL-SDR RTL2832U
g0slq
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by g0slq »

sec1223 wrote:i used to be on the cb in doggy in the 80's
Did you know The Archer from Doggy?
G0SLQ website