uniden UBC-355CLT

General scanning discussion forum. Talk about anything to do with scanners, equipment, VHF/UHF reception and the art of catching those illusive signals!
Niloc
Registered New User
Registered New User

uniden UBC-355CLT

Post by Niloc »

Hello all,

Noob here. So please be gentle!

I am interested in purchasing a uniden UBC-355CLT with the intention of installing it within my vehicle. I live in a busy(ish) city, with two airports nearby as well as a busy dock. Just wondering what people’s experience and opinions are on this kit and what type of discussions I may pick up?

I recently went to a viewing ground for a nearby Airport and noticed quite a few people with their cars litres out with antennas, expensive looking kit - I’m assuming this will be linked to scanners to hear what’s coming & going?

I’m an absolutely noob with this, I used to use a CB not so long ago, but never got round to replacing it, so thought whilst I’m intrigued-I would try the scanning!

Thanks
Smoggie1979
Regular
Regular

Re: uniden UBC-355CLT

Post by Smoggie1979 »

Used to use CB radio myself in the late 1990's early 2000's.Unfortunately they was using illegal burners.By law you can only use 4 Watts.Also was other idiots using Burners illegal to use 50 & 100 Watts.Also channel 19 was also blasted by music players.I own a Uniden UBC92XLT treat myself to a scanner.Haven't owned 1 since i was able to listen to Cleveland Police in the 1990's.Moved on from CB radio.Radio scanners this Uniden UBC92XLT has 25 to 960 Mhz frequency range & the UK CB radio frequencies are in them.Stored the UK channels 19 frequency in my Uniden UBC92XLT.Nothing new the frequency is quite.With a bit of luck OFCOM have clamped down on the music players & these burner users.Burners are illegal obviously as they increase power to the transmitter in the CB radio the transmissions will reach many 100s of miles instead of 20.
Mikel
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Re: uniden UBC-355CLT

Post by Mikel »

I have got and regularly use 2 Uniden scanners, the UBC72XLT and the UBC3500XLT, which I don't think are available new any longer.

I only use the UBC72XLT for its superb Close Call function and is a nightmare (for me!) to use for anything else. The UBC3500XLT is very good for airband use as it covers the civil and military bands.

I have no experience of the UBC-355CLT and if it is only civil air frequencies that you want to monitor then it may be fine for your purposes, but I don't think it covers the military air band if your interest lies there.

There is a review of the UBC-355CLT on this very site that may prove useful to you:

viewtopic.php?t=46632

If it were me, for car use I would probably choose a handheld model with a mobile phone type holder, but obviously that's up to you.

Have a look on the Nevada radio site:

https://www.nevadaradio.co.uk/category/ ... erby=price

Or Moonraker who also offer a good range:

https://www.moonraker.eu/scanners-recei ... rder=price

I have had very good service off both these sellers for a number of years now, but let us know what you decide.
................................................................................................2W0NBF.........................................................