Handheld digi scanner?

General scanning discussion forum. Talk about anything to do with scanners, equipment, VHF/UHF reception and the art of catching those illusive signals!
Andy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Handheld digi scanner?

Post by Andy » 18 Jun 2019, 11:25

Here we are again.
Hoping someone can help me. I've been into scanning and general listening since Adam were a lad, but as the analogue channels disappeared and the various Shopwatches etc moved to digital (mainly DMR around here), I took action and treated myself to the AOR AR-DV1. And very nice too, although I tend to use only the basic features in an old school way. Works a treat.
But now I find my old faithful Icom r5 is no longer any good for taking on holiday as it has no digital capability - so I'm thinking about getting a handheld digi scanner.
I was very interested in the Whistler TRX1, especially the Moonraker one which is pre-installed with a UK-based bandplan. Almost pulled the trigger until I started reading the reviews, many of which complained about the complexity of even entering a frequency, mode etc.
The Unidens seem very US-based and I must say I've never got on very well with Unidens, even analogue ones.
Icom don't have DMR, so no good around here.
There are several DMR transceivers, but all I hear is people going on about mysterious things like 'codeplugs' whatever they are.
Are there any that can be unpacked, switched on and have frequencies keyed in and be tuned around like a proper radio? Perhaps with auto mode detection?
Sorry to sound like a Luddite, but radio used to be simple..... {bnghd}
'SOMEONE GET ME A SAW!'
Andy.

Metradio
Call Sign: G7HID

Re: Handheld digi scanner?

Post by Metradio » 18 Jun 2019, 18:25

Glad to see someone doing some research before buying a digital radio..
I have the Whistler, Uniden 3600 and AOR DV1, for me between the portables the Whistler I find the easiest to get my head around the programming... It has the facility to search between 2 frequencies and automaticaly recognising the mode - same as the DV1..

A codeplug nowadays is the programmed contents of a radio that can be transferred between computer and radio, the computer can be used to modify the codeplug..

Mike
Connect Systems CS750 and CS800, Hytera PD-365, Motorola DP4600.
Raspberry Pi 2 and DV4Mini HotSpot.
AOR AR-DV1 Digital Voice Receiver / eSPY on ARD V1.

Whistler WS1088 / TRX-1 / Whistler Q / UBCD3600XLT / WTR Browser.

Andy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Andy » 19 Jun 2019, 11:03

Ah, thanks for the info Mike.
I may hold my horses and see what's next in the pipeline. I've heard about the cancelled TRX-100/200 that were due for launch about now but are no longer planned - I wonder what happened to those? Maybe something else will come along. In the meantime I'll content myself with listening at home on the excellent DV-1.
'SOMEONE GET ME A SAW!'
Andy.

Metradio
Call Sign: G7HID

Post by Metradio » 19 Jun 2019, 16:54

I think any new models will be the same as what we have now with redesigned cases and small tweeks..
99% of what is receivable is covered by current models. Folks chop and change digital scanners because they think they are missing something - they are not..

Reading between the lines, Whistler decided not to go ahead with development of the TRX100/200 because they had little new or extra to bring to the table.

Mike
Connect Systems CS750 and CS800, Hytera PD-365, Motorola DP4600.
Raspberry Pi 2 and DV4Mini HotSpot.
AOR AR-DV1 Digital Voice Receiver / eSPY on ARD V1.

Whistler WS1088 / TRX-1 / Whistler Q / UBCD3600XLT / WTR Browser.

sidsabbath
Regular
Regular

Post by sidsabbath » 08 Jul 2019, 16:57

I've got a Uniden 3600 and get on great with it. Admittedly, it took some getting my head around. From reading other forums, most people tend to find the Whistler easier to get on with.