Pre-amp

General scanning discussion forum. Talk about anything to do with scanners, equipment, VHF/UHF reception and the art of catching those illusive signals!
alunonhisown
Regular
Regular

Pre-amp

Post by alunonhisown »

Can anyone tell me what I am to do with a pre-amp I have just purchased as part of a deal with a scanner I also just purchased
Alun
GeeFull
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Pre-amp

Post by GeeFull »

alunonhisown wrote:Can anyone tell me what I am to do with a pre-amp I have just purchased as part of a deal with a scanner I also just purchased
Alun
Well you can stick it in line with the RX antenna to overall "boost" incoming signals.
But if its the typical wide band variety, best sell it to someone else, as they will amplify as much noise as signal in a lot of cases!
At the scanner end is particularly useless, best at antenna end for any pre amp.
And the only ones worth their salt tend to be band specific, very narrowly filtered, well made from decent manufacturers jobbies, truth be told.
But if increases in simple signal meter readings is your bag, any old pre amp will suffice, stuffed wherever,if its in the right frequency range.
Just don't expect to be blown away by all the DX "signals" you could not previously receive! ;)