Pagers

General scanning discussion forum. Talk about anything to do with scanners, equipment, VHF/UHF reception and the art of catching those illusive signals!
skw

Pagers

Post by skw »

Hi, does anyone know a list of pager frequencies for like fire service.

I think 147.8 Mhz is a pager, weird sounds, normally around 6-7PM every evening I hear.

I happen to know some fire services test they're pagers around these times.

Thanks.
iansradios
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

RE: Pagers

Post by iansradios »

pagers are on several vhf and uhf freqs it all depends on the operating site of your area but theres not just fire on there theres hundreds of users.
skw

RE: Pagers

Post by skw »

Okay, does anyone have an idea on what the fire paging freqs are? Can you only here the paging sound (http://www.kb9ukd.com/digital/pocsag5.wav) when they're transmitting?
crusty
Veteran
Veteran

Re: RE: Pagers

Post by crusty »

skwales100 wrote:Okay, does anyone have an idea on what the fire paging freqs are? Can you only here the paging sound (http://www.kb9ukd.com/digital/pocsag5.wav) when they're transmitting?
As Iansradios has already mentioned it depends where you live, most systems (fire etc) use different frequencies up and down the country. Here's the frequencies I have listed:

Code: Select all

137.9750		Nationwide Page One (Ex Mercury) Ch2 
138.0750		Vodazap 
138.1500 		Vodazap 
138.1750 		Nationwide Page One (Ex Mercury) Ch1  
153.0750 		Nationwide Paging 
153.1250 		Nationwide BT Pagers  
153.1500 		Nationwide BT Pagers  
153.1750 		Nationwide BT Pagers  
153.2375 		Nationwide BT Pagers  
153.2500 		Vodazap 
153.2750 		Nationwide Aircall Comms 
153.3250 		Nationwide Aircall Comms 
153.3375 		Nationwide Paging  
153.3500 		Nationwide Page One (Ex Mercury) Ch3 
153.3625 		Nationwide Paging  
153.3750 		Nationwide Paging  
153.4500 		Nationwide Paging  
153.8250 		Northern Ireland Air Page  
454.0750 		Nationwide Aircall Voice  
454.2000 		Nationwide Medical Pagers 
454.2375 		Northern Ireland Hospitals  
454.6750 		Nationwide Millicomm Paging 
454.7750  	Nationwide Aircall Paging  
454.8250  	Nationwide PageBoy Paging  
466.0750  	Nationwide Hutchison Paging 
Put some legwork in and find the service you are interested in. If you're too lazy, try asking in the regional forum for your area.

Crusty.
skw

RE: Re: RE: Pagers

Post by skw »

Thanks for the list, frequency 147.8 I'm getting the pager. I searched in google and the only thing relating to this frequency was Humberside Fire Alert pager. I also downloaded a spreadsheet from Proma called scanwales march 2006 or something and that frequency came up as Gwent Fire pagers.

Also, would you only here the pager noise if they are transmitting?

EDIT:

Searched Proma website and it says National Fire Brigade Alerter Paging - national usage.

How do they work this if it's national?

What's the range on these pagers?
crusty
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crusty »

In the case of national systems they use a repeater network that boosts and re-transmits the signal across many beacons (repeaters) nationally. Don't assume the proma freq' are accurate as may be out of date, and many utility services are shifting their com's to secure networks.

Crusty.

EDIT: Can I ask why you are so interested in the Fire Service?
skw

Post by skw »

Fire Service - Because they are the only main ones I know around here that use it.

What about Close Call scanners, if someone was near a pager that was going off would they be able to pick it up?
kc
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: RE: Re: RE: Pagers

Post by kc »

skwales100 wrote: What about Close Call scanners, if someone was near a pager that was going off would they be able to pick it up?
Close Call only works on transmitters not receivers.
So I passed this test that allows me to twiddle with knobs, push buttons & call my self an Advanced !!!!!!!
M0LSX
fez
Veteran
Veteran

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Pagers

Post by fez »

mid and west wales fire do have pagers but they arnt really used. As they get their jobs at base from a small printer. And if they are out they sometimes get info via their radio.
They do state they are available via pager or mobile but decoding the pager at the right time and freq for you to get the message would be very rare.
Ive also looked for what pager freq ambo uses but I also can't find it. There isnt really much info on scanner based info for mid/west wales.
skw

Post by skw »

The retained lot get called by means of they're pager. Bleeps and lights get activated for a real incident and differant tone beeps and lights activated for a test every evening.

If real incident they rush to base, as you said get the print out and then off they go.

What I was wondering was if you could pick up the pager tones if they're pager was activated.
crusty
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crusty »

The short answer is yes but they are probably just short alphanumeric sequences, identifying them amongst the rest of the traffic would be very difficult unless you can tie it to an event.

Crusty.
fez
Veteran
Veteran

Post by fez »

yes and also it won't give you any info on the job they are going to.
skw

Post by skw »

I dont want info for the job. I was just curious as I have two fire fighters (Retained) living about 300 yards away from me. So then when they get a call I can try and confirm the new local callsign which im still not 100% certain on.

If I wanted info on the jobs then I'd listen to they're radio - they give plenty of info including grid referance which you can convert o a postcode and there we go, you know the exact location.

So basically I want to confirm my call sign and need to know when they go out on a job to do this.
fez
Veteran
Veteran

Post by fez »

ask him? :D
skw

Post by skw »

Well, I would but not got the gutts too. They might be a bit erm thing with it. Not sure how to word it.