Baofeng UVB5 and FRN

A place to discuss internet linking of radio equipment, such as eQSO, FRN, iRLP, Echolink, and other such systems.
welshevo
Call Sign: 163TM995

Baofeng UVB5 and FRN

Post by welshevo »

Afternoon.....im trying to get my baofeng UVB5 to be able to communicate with Free radio network ( FRN) so far i have an audio cable out of the PC and into the mic port of the UVB5 ....and i have a 2.5mm from headphone of baofeng into a 3.5mm jack audio cable going back into the PC Mic socket....but when i plug the both cables in the radio PTT led is constantly on and wont key out! i believe something to do with Gnd and PTT? so what i want to know is ....is there any where to buy a pre-made cable to do the job i want.... or could somebody suggest an alternative way...... the radio ill be using to talk to the baofeng uvb5 is a Motorola Mt6000e .....i can hear what people are saying over FRN on the Motorola but just cant talk back! help its driving me nuts!

Thank you :)
:thumbup: Tetra is a Lonely place! Get DMR instead! (163TM995) ...... :thumbup:
thelad
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Baofeng UVB5 and FRN

Post by thelad »

Have you got the vox active?
Uniden UBC120XLT
Uniden USC230E
Uniden UBC3500XLT
Binatone PMR MR500 x2
Magiksun TM-490 (BF-888) x3
Baofeng BF-888
TTI TSC 100R
Baofeng UVB5
Zastone D900
Icom IC-R6
welshevo

Post by welshevo »

Yep VOX is on perfect ....but i cant seem to get the headphone cable out into PC mic input to work....everytime i do the radio keys up and wont switch off....
thelad
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by thelad »

how about try "line in" rather than the mic on the pc?
Uniden UBC120XLT
Uniden USC230E
Uniden UBC3500XLT
Binatone PMR MR500 x2
Magiksun TM-490 (BF-888) x3
Baofeng BF-888
TTI TSC 100R
Baofeng UVB5
Zastone D900
Icom IC-R6
G0EHU
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: G0EHU

Post by G0EHU »

More than likely that the VOX circuit is being overloaded by too much audio from the PC. Either try it with the PC speakers muted or turned down very low and see what happens or build something like this.

Even then it is not really very good. A COM port keyer is the way to go.
nerdsville

Post by nerdsville »

Joining the two 'ground' sleeve connections of the 2.5mm and 3.5mm pins will activate the PTT, when you plug it into the PC that is what happens as they share a common ground.
http://www.miklor.com/COM/UV_Technical.php
One way to stop it would be to use isolating transformers as G0EHU suggests that way the pins aren't shorted.
welshevo

Post by welshevo »

Thank you for all your replies, so im guessing that the 2 grounds together are what are activating the PTT, so my question is.....can i buy a "ready made" cable that's wired correctly, or an interface etc? as from the schematic above it looks complex to make myself.... but im willing to try if needs be! lol
Mad4radio

Post by Mad4radio »

The M0AQC interface from Alan will do the job & already put together so pretty much plug & play as I was using it with a quenshang set & worked a treat before I upgraded the set to a 25watt gm900, granted they'll be others but from having a few of these off Alan they do the job

http://bit.ly/1oRtz38
welshevo

Post by welshevo »

Thank you for the reply! ill be ordering mine today....but will also need a usb adaptor which i assume is available on ebay..... so fingers crossed!!
Mad4radio

Post by Mad4radio »

Don't go for the cheaper ones they don't work as I found that out but this one should work a treat as it's the one I'm using if it helps & for the price you carn't really go wrong, let us no once you have everything up & running & I'll see if I can spot you on frn pal

http://bit.ly/1d3DTNd
welshevo

Post by welshevo »

with the moaqc interface will i need to adapt the one socket for 2.5mm or is it supplied? as in the picture it looks like 2 x 3.5mm connections?
Mad4radio

Post by Mad4radio »

Send him an email attached to contact seller when you pay for it via eBay & tell him the radio in which you intend on running it on & he will configure it so as & when it arrives it will be almost as good as plug & play Cheif with a 2.5 & 3.5 plugs on the end if that helps buddy

Kind regards
welshevo

Post by welshevo »

Hey Mad4Radio.....ive done some research on that MOAQC interface and its com port keyed.....and im told the baofeng doesn't have COS? so its a pointless interface that wouldn't work? like i said im a newbie....all i want to do is get my radio to talk to FRN and vice versa! jeez hard work!...so any other options? thanks for your responses !
Mad4radio

Post by Mad4radio »

Hmmmm I've used the interface on my wouxon & quansheng & it's worked a treat so I'm guessing the baofeng would be the exact same..... Yeah the moaqc interface is a comport keyer of which has the 2.5 & the 3.5 connectors on the end that plug straight into the jack plugs on the radio..... I carn't see why it wouldn't work the same on yours as what it's done on mine

Regards
welshevo

Post by welshevo »

Order been placed for the Device.... fingers crossed this works!! and i also found out my PC has a com port so thats save time and money!!! now lets hope FRN works etc!