S780's digi frn gateway

A place to discuss internet linking of radio equipment, such as eQSO, FRN, iRLP, Echolink, and other such systems.
Mad4radio

S780's digi frn gateway

Post by Mad4radio »

Hi,
I'm curious to ask if its possible the kirisun s780 can be used or set up as a digi frn gateway, I may have posted this before but never had any feedback & now with all the bits inc: the M0AQC interface with the 2.5 & the 3.5 plugs on the end I'm good to go in the hope it works I'm just in two minds to start it before they's some info I've missed out.
They was talk about the pins & a grounding issue but I've nothing to confirm this & don't want to press ahead if it damages the radio so I put it to you guys on hear in the hope you can confirm things for me that they is no grounding issues??

Cheers guys & a good x-mad to all
TRON

Re: S780's digi frn gateway

Post by TRON »

Does the infamous M0AQC interface have separate grounds for RX, TX and PTT?

If you can't answer that question, you need to ask him and find out.
I'll wager that it does not. I'll wager that he hasn't looked up a service manual for the S780 and followed the audio stages on the circuit diagram to CHECK.
You asked for "an interface" and he built you something that "once got tested on a Kenwood".

Its up to you.. It might be quicker to say "sod it, I'll just connect it", if you no longer get any audio in/out after connection, you'll know its shorted one side of a balanced line to "ground" (and ground is only implied due to being a battery powered device).

Just a quick one.. Where is the RX and TX adjustment on these things? I've just had a look at some adverts online, and I cant see anything other than a single trimpot on the PCB.
Mad4radio

Post by Mad4radio »

Good question tron :-) I haven't the foggiest Cheif but I was under the impression if it works ok on the Chinese quenshang when hooked upto the radio & frn will it just be a case of hooking up the s780 & see if it plays ball
TRON

Post by TRON »

Try it. If it dies, you'll know I was correct. Alternatively, send him an email and copy/paste this question to him:

Does your interface keep radio RX and TX and PTT ground separate?

Now that he has your £30 for his £1.99 plastic box and a Serial level converter, lets see what his REAL knowledge and customer service is like.
Mad4radio

Post by Mad4radio »

Sent him an email buddy.... I'm not willing to plug it in & see as daft as it sounds these little digi handsets are far too good to just be hooked up on a bit if a wim!!

But we will await his reply & keep you posted ;-)
Mad4radio

Post by Mad4radio »

Ok tron got a reply:(see below his reply)

It all depends on the make of radio most modern rigs use a data port, in this case the grounding is all shared, if the interface is supplied to a mike socket and where the mike socket uses a separate ground for mike and PTT then it will be supplied in that form, I assume the kirisun will use a single ground, in the same way as baofeng and kenwoods do.

I hope that helps answer your question.
TRON

Post by TRON »

Mad4radio wrote:Ok tron got a reply:(see below his reply)

It all depends on the make of radio most modern rigs use a data port, in this case the grounding is all shared, if the interface is supplied to a mike socket and where the mike socket uses a separate ground for mike and PTT then it will be supplied in that form, I assume the kirisun will use a single ground, in the same way as baofeng and kenwoods do.

I hope that helps answer your question.
So let me get this straight.. You ask a question, he answers the question. It goes like this:
Q: Does YOUR interface keep radio RX and TX and PTT ground separate?
A: It depends on the make of the radio.

Oh dear.. We never asked anything about the radio. We asked about the interface. I uses wording like "I assume". Its nice that he makes "assumptions" with YOUR expensive equipment eh?

Send the interface and radio to me if you want. I'll happily answer the question that he can't (because he probably copied the circuit from a website somewhere).
If the interface is garbage, I'll modify it to suit.
Mad4radio

Post by Mad4radio »

Can you pm me??? Or if you have frn any chance of hooking up so we can discuss a little bit more??

Cheers pal
TRON

Post by TRON »

Certainly.. For the purposes of the forum, We'll post the outcome on here so others can see what was involved (if anything).