sussex downs radio link on frn anyone like to join

A place to discuss internet linking of radio equipment, such as eQSO, FRN, iRLP, Echolink, and other such systems.
rummageit
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: blindcatz

sussex downs radio link on frn anyone like to join

Post by rummageit »

hi I'm fairly new here and have only just started to play with radios again, as i live near the downs and to the south downs way and downs link paths i thought it would be nice to set up a gateway for radios to connect to zello so when out and about i can talk to friends using my radio why they use their phones.

Being that my gateways range is quite small i wondered if anyone else in Sussex would like to connect to my server and expand it out. I hope at some point to add cb as well as 446mhz to it. even considered a mobile gateway.

My 446mhz is down at the moment as i had a faulty charger but hopefully that will be sorted soon. i currently have the server and crosslink to zello on 24/7 now and i try to have it running on my phone as much as possible so feel free to give me a shout, my personals nik (blindcatz) The is also a small blog explaining how to connect to me if you are interested pls check it out here and look for the frn post.

http://sussexdownsradiolink.blogspot.co.uk/

the zello channel sussex downs radio link can be found here and is open for anyone to join

http://zello.com/channels/c/e20583d6

look forward to erm hearing from anybody lol :?

nik blindcatz
rummageit
Regular
Regular

Re: sussex downs radio link on frn anyone like to join

Post by rummageit »

for anyone wishing to join sdrl or frn and haven't got a radio i have a new in box Baofeng bf-888s going spare i bought two one im using for the sdrl the other i will sell for what i paid plus any postage if required. message me if interested. thanks.
rummageit
Regular
Regular

Post by rummageit »

On frn gateway active sussexdownsrl.no-ip.biz

will change .org it eventually 446mhz gateway open but is part time at mo so if ur in the area and have a radio pls feel free to give us a shout.
rummageit
Regular
Regular

Post by rummageit »

i have two baofeng radios that i am trying to connect to the south downs radio link. the 888s and uvb5. I thought the 888s might be ideal due to price but due to their wiring i can not seem to 1) connect to the pc. issue seems to be the ground wire for the mic is also the ptt and every time it is connected to pc the radio just transmits. 2) i am a bit put off by the desktop charger, placing the handset in the charger without it being plug in causes the led on the charger to glow which i guess is a slow power drain. Thought i might put a timer on it so it would only get some power every few hours just to top it up but as i havnt even got the audio to work it is a pointless exercise lol. the UV-b6 same problem with the mic and speaker wiring but desktop charger much improved sadly even if i did get some patch leads made up that work i think it would be a shame to just leave it on in the shack as its a nice little radio. Uv-5re same reason to nice to leave on the shelf. currently the only radio that works well uses vox and not a ptt switch is my old tti txi446 but due to the fixed small ariel range is not great if worse comes to worse i will take it apart and fit a connector for a bigger ariel but as it works so well that really will be the last straw.
rummageit
Regular
Regular

Post by rummageit »

Radios have now been sold, Baofeng bf888 is now working on the sussex downs radio link i have put the desktop charger on a timer to charge the radio every 3 hours as i dont trust it being left on charge. The SDRL now has over 400 users and growing and we have made contact with people all over the world which at times has been quite funny
Just bought a x70 colinear antenna from ebay seems a very nice ariel well made. Amazingy the Gateway can be accessed from the devils Dyke which will be great for the local radio users to pop in to say high.

27mhz gateway is also in progress and we have also managed to crosslink talkshoe and a few other programes so anyone can join in. 2 more Gateways are hoping to come online soon but really need more if anyone is interested . all for now. thanks,
rummageit
Regular
Regular

Post by rummageit »

27mhz cb is now in line and working but due to the noise in the area i have decided that its better just to have it to tx so that the sdrl is not full of background noise. That means anyone in the area can hear the channel but to interact they will have to call in either via 446mhz or through the internet. Apart from that all good seems to be working ok just need a power supply as currently running off a batt. Anyone in the area on cb please check out the channel and let me know where u were when you herd us or better still call in via the sussex downs radio link on zello details on the blog.
WoollyMammoth
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by WoollyMammoth »

Was on it a few days ago via the Zello app and the Computer Client, was quite alot of activity from people all over the UK and even a few far flung countries.
rummageit
Regular
Regular

Post by rummageit »

latest news well cb gateway is up and running most evenings now on channel 28 uk cb , we are also going out in Sheffield and Derbyshire. The bf 888 has been working well on the gateway but now the channel has a lot of traffic if there is a lot talking it dose tend to go flat. Also if channel happens to be quiet even though it is on a timer it tends to over charge and beep a lot along with locking up. i will be locking into other radios but sadly due to cost the baofengs seem to have the most functions for the money. Being that its mainly power being the issue im gonna add a battery eliminator and see if that solves it. anyone thinking of using the 5r or b5 their desktop chargers carry a lot of noise with the tx so they need to be played with to stop it. over 2000 people use the channel now with a average of 10-20 people in the room at any one time we also have around a 100 people joining a day so hopefully there will always be someone online to talk to if you wish to pop in and say hi. thats all for now. oh just to ad had a direct contact from France via the radio linked which was cool.
rummageit
Regular
Regular

Post by rummageit »

Quick update uv 5 r with battery eliminator doesn't seem to be able to handle the traffic, gets hot display fades out, 888s do work better and for longer just a shame about the power side. Looking for a replacement radio and keyer channel see around average 10-15 people in it at any one time now. And coming up on 3000 people.
rummageit
Regular
Regular

Post by rummageit »

latest update now 4500 subscribers, and have around 5 gateways linking through us in the uk and abroad. the 888s desktop charger died and was replaced with the 5r with a batt eliminator sadly heat got to that and could only be used on low power was better with a fan attached. when the channels busy it dose suffer. So i have now put the b5 on the gateway and that seems to work very well had reports from 20+ miles away. its connected to a keyer and runs on full power with a battery eliminator. i have put a fan on it for a safety measure. so far so gd. the radio and frn server now all run off batteries which are charged by solar panels of a night though i do switch to mains power. if like to find out more pls msg me here or you can join our facebook group sussex downs radio link and msg me there.
rummageit
Regular
Regular

Post by rummageit »

Well Lots of things happening now, we are past the 5000 subscribers now and are involved in the frn Linux project (for those who don't know about it check out our web site sussexdownsradiolink.co.uk. We are also streaming the channel audio. The channel can now be herd on our website and as a radio station on winamp by typing sussex downs radio link in the the winamp search along with a few other sites. B5 working well still join our facebook if wish to keep updated on all the projects. all for now.
Black_Pirate
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26TM034

Post by Black_Pirate »

is anyone asking Ofcom for a dedicated FM channel for gateways when the cept 40 is legalised either on CepT or UKFM....?
looking for propagation for 2013 and beyond... Operating close to the Edge....
of reason......and the Quantocks...
Didi modes (JS8 on 27.245 usb) txt messages via radio lol at minus- 10 to 20 db..... 😊 See FB page...

26T.M.034
GOOD LUCK IN DX
rummageit
Regular
Regular

Post by rummageit »

Frn Traffic is now visible via a video feed with audio of the channel. This helps when chatting on the channel to see who is on the frn. Check it out at www.sdrlcentral.co.uk
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin
Call Sign: 26TM175

Post by MrWeetabix »

Black_Pirate wrote:is anyone asking Ofcom for a dedicated FM channel for gateways when the cept 40 is legalised either on CepT or UKFM....?
if it's allowed in the EU, surely a harmonised UK would allow the same modes?

Good question though!
26TM175. OP: Craig. QTH: Gateshead IO94EW. Also 163TM175 when mobile in Wales 8)

Transmission1 on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TM1onFB | Tango Mike on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TangoMikeFB |
bli
Registered New User
Registered New User
Call Sign: SDR26BCW

Post by bli »

Quick update on battery eliminators for baofengs uv5r, uvb5, bf888s. After 5 months service my uvb5 on the gateway has started to ware. Although it still seems to transmit and receive well it the audio quality has become scratchy, not so loud and seems to be bringing in noise with the transmission. Suspect that it is drifiting of freq. Also on removing the battery eliminator I have noticed the the screw holding the heatsink in place inside the eliminator caseing has melted through the casing. Taking this in to consideration I have now switched to the bf 888s. I have taken the battery eliminator for it apart same as the uvb5 they have placed the heatsink of the battery eliminator against the back of the radio instead of the rear of the case. The eliminator comes apart really easily just run blade around tthe edge. I have removed the insides of the eliminator and mounted it inside the old desk charger afterstripping that out as well. So now iI have a twelve volt desk charger. I then found a small CPU fan that amazingly fitted inside the case of the eliminator. The fan takes power from from a separated source (my batteries) I've drilled holes for the fan on the outside of the case of the eliminator and holes in its base so the fan draws cold air in and against the back of the radio and then down and out through the base charger keeping that cool which I thought was cool. End result the bf 888 runs the gateway again until the new radio goes in. It now runs so cold that when i set the vox level wrong without realising it stayed keyed up for over 12 minutes without over heating until I stopped it. New pie gateway going in soon for the cb gateway. See www.sdrlcentral.co.uk for link to the frnlin project.