mototrbo crossband rebroadcast

The place to discuss Commercial & Private licensed hand held & mobile transceivers, as well as imported hand held and mobile transceivers.
Paddydog
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 26TM3105

mototrbo crossband rebroadcast

Post by Paddydog »

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RA-2T-Repeater- ... 0622553980

I was wondering if anyone has done this in the uk. I have seen this item in usa but the seller dies not ship to uk.

Anyone seen one over here or even made one or will to try and make one.

All info and help if very much appreciated.

Sorry if this is in the wrong place.
Freddie
Regular
Regular

Re: mototrbo crossband rebroadcast

Post by Freddie »

I've not done it myself, but it'd be easy enough to do. The pinouts for the accessory connector are available with a quick Google, and you can get the connectors on eBay for a fiver a pop.

Then it's just a case of crossconnecting TX/RX audio and RX/PTT signals on the two radios, and jobs a good'un!
Paddydog
Regular
Regular

Post by Paddydog »

Freddie wrote:I've not done it myself, but it'd be easy enough to do. The pinouts for the accessory connector are available with a quick Google, and you can get the connectors on eBay for a fiver a pop.

Then it's just a case of crossconnecting TX/RX audio and RX/PTT signals on the two radios, and jobs a good'un!

Thanks I think ill have a look and see if I could do it and give it a try then. Fingers crossed. If I do ill keep you updated on it.
radiosification
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by radiosification »

An interesting idea, but there are not all that many dual band radios on the market, and crossband repeaters have problems with the range being very different for the receive and transmit. If you want to have a DMR repeater without all the cavities and problems with radios being desensitised then you could use a single frequency repeater. This feature is available in some radios now, and all of the gen 2 MotoTRBO radios support it (as in they can use a single frequency repeater, not act as one) I think.
If you're interested in digital voice, check out my YouTube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/radiosification
Paddydog
Regular
Regular

Post by Paddydog »

radiosification wrote:An interesting idea, but there are not all that many dual band radios on the market, and crossband repeaters have problems with the range being very different for the receive and transmit. If you want to have a DMR repeater without all the cavities and problems with radios being desensitised then you could use a single frequency repeater. This feature is available in some radios now, and all of the gen 2 MotoTRBO radios support it (as in they can use a single frequency repeater, not act as one) I think.
I understand where you are coing from.
I was thinking of trying to make a "gateway" sort of system.
At work we use vhf mobile (dm4400) radios in the vehicles, however when out and about from the vehicles we dont hear the transmission. So I was thinking of using my uhf dm4400 to "rebroadcast" the transmission to my handheld mototrbo. As work are not willing to buy handhelds for us. Hopefully this makes sense. Do you think this could be done.

I do own a uk gen license so would use that frequency for the rebroadcast
radiosification
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by radiosification »

I see what you mean, yeah, it would probably work alright. I don't see any reason why it wouldn't. Since you will be using radios which should have quite good out of band rejection, I think it there should not be too much of a reduction in range due to desensitisation.

Since you have to convert the audio to analogue and then back to digital again between the two radios, there is actually no need to use expensive digital equipment for the gateway radios. If you were to connect an analogue radio to the VHF DMR radio in the gateway setup, and use a UHF handheld to talk to the UHF analogue mobile radio, that would probably work just as well unless you go too far from the vehicle (since when an analogue signal starts to get noise, it doesn't sound good when converted to digital). You have to make sure to set the levels just right though for the volume of the analogue mobile on UHF.

But since you sound like you already have the DMR equipment, it should work fine with that too.
If you're interested in digital voice, check out my YouTube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/radiosification
Paddydog
Regular
Regular

Post by Paddydog »

radiosification wrote:I see what you mean, yeah, it would probably work alright. I don't see any reason why it wouldn't. Since you will be using radios which should have quite good out of band rejection, I think it there should not be too much of a reduction in range due to desensitisation.

Since you have to convert the audio to analogue and then back to digital again between the two radios, there is actually no need to use expensive digital equipment for the gateway radios. If you were to connect an analogue radio to the VHF DMR radio in the gateway setup, and use a UHF handheld to talk to the UHF analogue mobile radio, that would probably work just as well unless you go too far from the vehicle (since when an analogue signal starts to get noise, it doesn't sound good when converted to digital). You have to make sure to set the levels just right though for the volume of the analogue mobile on UHF.

But since you sound like you already have the DMR equipment, it should work fine with that too.
Thanks for the information.
Yes I have the digital equipment already so I thought I might just put that good use.
Only thing is working out the pinouts and which ones to use. Im not very tech minded. I can get a dog to find drugs and money. But this is new to me :thumbdown: :crazy: thats why I was going to buy the ebay item on the tread but the seller is not willing to ship to the UK for some reason.