MD-2017 CPS now available for download

The place to discuss Commercial & Private licensed hand held & mobile transceivers, as well as imported hand held and mobile transceivers.
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Re: MD-2017 CPS now available for download

Post by Admiral »

To save me searching, do they do crossband repeat in DMR mode?
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
BK
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by BK »

Another couple of oddities I've found with the rt82 (firmware D003.031, CPS V01.16)
Scanning doesn't work - pressing a softkey programmed to turn scan on and off doesn't do anything, if you go to 'scan' in the menu you can't select it.
When you change zones it doesn't remember what channel you were on and reverts to channel 1, not sure if this is expected behaviour but I'd prefer it to stay on the channel I put it on.

EDIT: The scan thing was user error, I thought that adding a channel to a scan list within the scan list would make it scan, but it turns out you've got to add the channel to the scan list in the channel too if that makes sense.
Last edited by BK on 15 Jul 2017, 18:19, edited 1 time in total.
stanogs68
Veteran
Veteran

Post by stanogs68 »

BK wrote:Another couple of oddities I've found with the rt82 (firmware D003.031, CPS V01.16)
Scanning doesn't work - pressing a softkey programmed to turn scan on and off doesn't do anything, if you go to 'scan' in the menu you can't select it.
When you change zones it doesn't remember what channel you were on and reverts to channel 1, not sure if this is expected behaviour but I'd prefer it to stay on the channel I put it on.
think ill wait till the problems are ironed out and the price goes down !
love your familly
BK
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by BK »

stanogs68 wrote:
BK wrote:Another couple of oddities I've found with the rt82 (firmware D003.031, CPS V01.16)
think ill wait till the problems are ironed out and the price goes down !
False alarm, the scanning is fine, I hadn't added the channels to the scan list properly - it turns out that doing it in the scan list isn't enough, you've got to do it in the channel too.

I've also found that if you have autoscan turned on, you can't navigate away from an active channel by changing A/B or changing Zone, you've got to turn scan off first. This problem doesn't occur with manual scanning (i.e. pressing the scan button) because changing channel knocks it off. This sounds like item 2 on bigblokes list.
paulears
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: G4RMT

Post by paulears »

bigbloke wrote:I believe their the same innards, with a smaller case size for the asia / pac market (smaller hands)

when it arrives can you confirm interoperability between the RT-82 and the MD380 when both use enhanced encryption please ?

the keys look the right length for 128 bit

regards

BB
I programmed up both the MD-380 and the RT-82 on the same simplex UHF channel - DMR, DMR basic and DMR enhanced work fine both ways between them - so compatibility is 100%.
bigbloke
Top Poster
Top Poster
Location: Nominally Newport (South Wales) but potentially "anywhere"

Post by bigbloke »

how do you find the RT82 Paulears ? Ive read rumours about programming problems?

I think the form factor looks superior to the MD-2017.

I'm not currently in the market for a dual band DMR handie having just been given a
job lot of free moto kit (DP3400/DP3600/pair of DP3601s) but one or two MD9600s will be on my shopping list
for sure once they've added the capability to change the DMR ID from the front panel.

just picked up a BCD536HP with the DMR upgrade already in for under 400 quid secondhand (too good to leave)
so need to kerb the radio expenditure a while until I sell on some of my older gear :-)

Regards

BB
bigbloke
Top Poster
Top Poster
Location: Nominally Newport (South Wales) but potentially "anywhere"

Post by bigbloke »

BK wrote: EDIT: The scan thing was user error, I thought that adding a channel to a scan list within the scan list would make it scan, but it turns out you've got to add the channel to the scan list in the channel too if that makes sense.
yep - the MD380 is exactly the same :-)

Regards

BB
paulears
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: G4RMT

Post by paulears »

I really dont get on too well with programming clever and complicated radios but this seems about the same as the md380 and s760 and the box titles and section headings have many common features. What I really do not like, and I admit I thought other peoepl's comments on it were way OTT, is the trackball. It is sooooooooo annoying. Just accidentally rubbing it shunts the radio to a new channel, when picking it up, say, and when you select a menu item, pressing it to select, moves the curls to the next one. I have to press it with a nail to be accurate. An up/down/left/right/select system would have been so much better. If it's like this new, imagine once it wears! What would be really good would be a proper programmer guide, something that explains what goes in each box, and most importantly, why! Like the comments above there are multiple things you need to do to make scan work, and this is still a mystery to many.
BK
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by BK »

bigbloke wrote:yep - the MD380 is exactly the same :-)
Yeah, as soon as I'd posted I remembered that. I don't recall making the same mistake when I first got the MD380 though, it's probably because I'm in a hurry this time around.
wasserbueffel

Post by wasserbueffel »

BK
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by BK »

paulears wrote:What I really do not like, and I admit I thought other peoepl's comments on it were way OTT, is the trackball. It is sooooooooo annoying. Just accidentally rubbing it shunts the radio to a new channel, when picking it up, say, and when you select a menu item, pressing it to select, moves the curls to the next one. I have to press it with a nail to be accurate. An up/down/left/right/select system would have been so much better. If it's like this new, imagine once it wears!
I find I'm not having to use the trackball. I have things like tones and backlight set up in the codeplug so don't need to go into the menu to change those. I have the two programmable buttons on the front set for zone and scan, and the three up the side for left, right, and A/B. Of course, this only works if you've got few enough zones that you can cycle through them, but I like a nice minimalist codeplug anyway.
BK
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by BK »

wasserbueffel wrote:Here is a new Firmware for the device.

https://retevis.info/sd-download-page/

Download
https://retevis.info/firmwareupdate-rt82-v3-35/

Walter
Thanks for that :)

For those of us who don't speak German, is this the version that allows recording, or the version that allows more contacts? Is there a changelog detailing what got fixed?
BK
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by BK »

Oh, here's another annoyance. I've got keypad tones switched off. I've got all tones switched off. And yet I've just programmed in a couple of channels that have some interference on them so the squelch is open permanently and guess what - navigating between or away from them by changing channel or changing A/B or changing zone produces a keytone! It turns out this happens whenever the squelch is open, I'd just never noticed it before as I was waiting until a transmission ended before changing channels.
BK
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by BK »

Another oddity, this time with the backlight. Until now I've had it set to always on, but today I've tried setting the backlight to switch itself off after a few seconds. Navigating between channels or switching A/B using the trackball it works fine, but if you do the same thing using programmable buttons then the backlight never switches off. Same thing with changing zone, if you do it using a programmable button then the backlight never switches off.
BK
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by BK »

paulears wrote:the trackball. It is sooooooooo annoying. Just accidentally rubbing it shunts the radio to a new channel, when picking it up, say
The latest firmware version 3.35 lets you lock out the trackball with a long press of the # key so you can't roll it by accident. It doesn't fix any of the other niggles though.