tytmd380, uhf or vhf

The place to discuss Commercial & Private licensed hand held & mobile transceivers, as well as imported hand held and mobile transceivers.
stanogs68
Veteran
Veteran

tytmd380, uhf or vhf

Post by stanogs68 »

hi ,iwas going to get another tyt md380 but seen admiral saying somewere that you need to get the right frequencie my other is uhf is that the correct frequencie :?
love your familly
stanogs68
Veteran
Veteran

Re: tytmd380, uhf or vhf

Post by stanogs68 »

yes it is for what i want ,thanks anyway :thumbup:
love your familly
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

My message to someone was to do your due diligence before purchasing as both VHF and UHF radios and boxes are identical, there's not even a couple of tick boxes on the side of the box to manually indicate which version it is.

This should not be an issue when buying new from a trader, but the second user units on eBay come with a lot of ambiguity if the seller isn't too technically minded.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
marvin
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 26TM200

Post by marvin »

They are a bit lacking on identification !
danny1990
Regular
Regular

Post by danny1990 »

This is the box i got with my radio it has a stickers on both sides, The radio version that it came with was D13.009 which i upgraded to D13.020, I don't know if D02.XXX comes in a different box.

I bought mine on ebay for £100 in the UK which included the usb cable there where other sellers who where selling cheaper like £80 but i didn't trust them and most of them where in Asia.

The second picture ( Left side sticker on the box ) shows the frequency range.

traMsmitter!!!
stanogs68
Veteran
Veteran

Post by stanogs68 »

is the retevis exactly the same as a tyt md380 and weres the cheapest one for sale at the minute there going down in price daily !!ive had a problem with mine and the seller said i can have a replacement without the charger just radio and battery for $100 usd thats £82 ,i thought that was ok but now i look there only ninety ,the full hit ??
love your familly
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

I didn't get any stickers on either of mine from different suppliers danny1990, looks like they've dealt with that issue. so long as a second hand unit has the box.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
danny1990
Regular
Regular

Post by danny1990 »

@stanogs68 I believe the retevis RT3 is the same as the MD380, i was initially going to buy a RT3 but the seller didn't have many reviews so i chose the MD380 from a different supplier.

If your radio is faulty ( Due to shipping ) the seller should replace it but they may charge for P&P, Do you know what's wrong with it and if it a problem with the radio ( No audio etc ) or with the software ( Crashes/Freezing etc )?

If it's a software issue you could try upgrade the firmware to see if it resolves the problem just make sure you install the correct firmware upgrade for your radio, Versions D02.XXX and D13.XXX are different and may brick the radio if you install the wrong version.

Also if the wrong band has been programmed in the CPS that can also affect the radio from working you can try switching that to see if that fixes it.

As for the frequencies yes these are UHF or VHF only and the seller should list it clearly which version they are selling in the title and in the description, If you're unsure you can ask them if you get no response i'd look for a different seller.

@Admiral There are many reasons why your box was different they may have been refurbished or sent back in damaged boxes, I wouldn't worry too much about the box as long as the radio is working it should be fine.
stanogs68
Veteran
Veteran

Post by stanogs68 »

[quote="danny1990"]@stanogs68 I believe the retevis RT3 is the same as the MD380, i was initially going to buy a RT3 but the seller didn't have many reviews so i chose the MD380 from a different supplier.

If your radio is faulty ( Due to shipping ) the seller should replace it but they may charge for P&P, Do you know what's wrong with it and if it a problem with the radio ( No audio etc ) or with the software ( Crashes/Freezing etc )?

If it's a software issue you could try upgrade the firmware to see if it resolves the problem just make sure you install the correct firmware upgrade for your radio, Versions D02.XXX and D13.XXX are different and may brick the radio if you install the wrong version.

Also if the wrong band has been programmed in the CPS that can also affect the radio from working you can try switching that to see if that fixes it.

As for the frequencies yes these are UHF or VHF only and the seller should list it clearly which version they are selling in the title and in the description, If you're unsure you can ask them if you get no response i'd look for a different seller.

@Admiral There are many reasons why your box was different they may have been refurbished or sent back in damaged boxes, I wouldn't worry too much about the box as long as the radio is working it should be fine.[/quote
Danny he did offer to replace it but to be honest. I had no idea how to send it + it would take weeks to get ther and the time to get back plus P+P so I said I had the charger and that but that was the best price 100usd I thought I might as well but one with another charger because there lik
£90 now arnt they !!
love your familly
bigbloke
Top Poster
Top Poster
Location: Nominally Newport (South Wales) but potentially "anywhere"

Post by bigbloke »

they (TYT380 /Retevis RT3 are made on the same production line - there is a russian video on youtube showing a tour of the TYT factory in Quanzou. look carefully and you'll see Retevis branded kit on the same production lines

regards

BB
rocket
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: M0ROC

Post by rocket »

To answer the original question, you need UHF for 70cm MD-380 as the 70cm DMR repeaters are of the vast majority.

There are only a few 2m ones, there only used to be one of them GB7CT in Tring and now there are another 3 Brandmeister 2m repeaters that I can find.
73 de Mark
M0ROC, 26HB896, 26TM896
M0LGC (Letchworth Garden City Amateur Radio Society)
Flightradar24 live feed: T-EGGW38 via AirNav RadarBox 3D