Motorola MTS2000 problem

The place to discuss Commercial & Private licensed hand held & mobile transceivers, as well as imported hand held and mobile transceivers.
StormShadow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Motorola MTS2000 problem

Post by StormShadow »

Hi there, its been a while since I've programmed the Motorola MTS2000 handsets and I've forgotten how to program the display and change the radio from narrow band to wide band. I've been looking everywhere in the programming software and can't seem to find the options.

I have many of these radios that have been sitting in a box gathering dust so I thought it was about time I reprogram them and put them to good use.

I have saved a codeplug that I did for one radio and I'd like to clone all the others with the same code plug rather than painstakingly reprogramming them separately. I got the error message (serial Number does not match) when I tried cloning.

So its just these 3 issues:
Cloning
Programming the display
Changing the radio from narrow band to wide band.

Cheers
NiCdeth

Re: Motorola MTS2000 problem

Post by NiCdeth »

It depends on the firmware version of the radio. Some of my MTS2000 are really locked down, can't even change the mic gain. I had the problem with the clone option, I think I saved it, closed/re-opened it and tried burning it to another radio. I'll have a look in the morning. You might have a problem going wide (WHY????) if your firmware version is really basic. Moto really ripped off MTS2000 fleet owners by making them pay for options that should have been standard.
NiCdeth

Post by NiCdeth »

The channel text settings should be in Zone Channel Assignment.

The wide/narrow settings are in Conventional Personality, in the Tx Options tab.

With cloning, I can only suggest trying the different cloning settings until something works.
StormShadow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by StormShadow »

That would make sense. I was unable to go wide band the mic gain is almost mute. I checked in the Zone Channel Assignment but the option isn't there.

I had a problem with one radio that only does 16 channels even though all 48 channels are programed.

I guess I'll just have to search for more versions of the MTS2000 programming software, I'm sure I'll get most of these radios sorted. Its no wonder you can pick these up for a sub 10 pounds on the bay.
NiCdeth

Post by NiCdeth »

I've just remembered, there is a /\/\ program called Global Tuner which lets you adjust the hardware settings on the radio itself, not the codeplug. You might be able to use this to permanently adjust the deviation etc. The radio will still *think* it's in narrow mode, but the deviation will have been manually adjusted. Make a note of the settings before you change them, It's obviously meant to be used with the appropriate testing gear and you could mess up the radio if you change the wrong things too much. I don't think there's a risk of toolproof with this (it's NOT labtool), but be careful, etc!