you CAN program that Select-5™ GP300!

The place to discuss Commercial & Private licensed hand held & mobile transceivers, as well as imported hand held and mobile transceivers.
NiCdeth

you CAN program that Select-5™ GP300!

Post by NiCdeth »

I finally managed to re-program my Select-5 GP300 this morning, after all my old computers failed. For reference, the normal GP300 will program fine in modern windoze, the Select-5 will NOT.

I used a virtual machine and a USB serial port; it went something like this:

1: Install VirtualBox, or similar. VirtualBox can be downloaded, or obtained through most (but not all) linux package managers.

2: Find a Windows 98 SE VMWare image from the Net, or roll your own from the Genuine Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition CD you still have.

3: Configure the VM installation. I also installed the Unofficial Windows 98 SE Service Pack, which lets you unzip things you need to unzip.

4: Go into the VM settings, edit the serial port options. Enable serial port, Com 1, port mode: Host Device. In linux, the port/file path is something like /dev/ttyUSB0.

NOTE: You MAY need to run VirtualBox as root to access the USB port.

5: Install the appropriate software required to program the radio, and run it. Ignore the errors about needing to be run in DOS mode, or similar when you read/write to the radio. You should be able to read/write to the radio just fine via the USB serial which uses the standard port settings, don't mess with them.

Congratulations! Enjoy all the cutting-edge tone features your Select-5™ GP300 provides!