Programming the Alan HP406 Radio

The place to discuss Commercial & Private licensed hand held & mobile transceivers, as well as imported hand held and mobile transceivers.
albrecht

Programming the Alan HP406 Radio

Post by albrecht »

I purchased one of these radios and programming set, but ridiculously CTE supply a programming lead with an RS232 connector to computer (when did they last have those on a computer?). Please see photograph. I tried purchasing an RS232 to USB adaptor with driver disk, but it won’t programme with that. Are there any of those connectors which actually work (?) or can anyone please suggest another solution? Help!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
B5566

Re: Programming the Alan HP406 Radio

Post by B5566 »

If it comes to com2usb adapters - they does work. It's all about getting them configured right, and by default they are. All you should do is to make sure that windows assigned them as either com1 or com2 as lots of software cant work beyond that . With your programming lead - I presume it's typical primitive rs232 cable so tip and middle ring should have been connected to pin 2 and 3 of com plug while top ring should be connected to pin 5.
Resistance is futile.
albrecht

Post by albrecht »

Thank you for the reply, I'll give it a try.
Road_Hog
Banned
Banned

Post by Road_Hog »

albrecht wrote: Are there any of those connectors which actually work (?) or can anyone please suggest another solution? Help!
Yep, you need an intelligent RS232 to USB adapter. It isn't just a case of the adapter, but it being able to get the device and the computer talking. Think one is talking Swahili and one Urdu, you need a universal translator.

I had this problem about ten tears ago, when I was big into unlocking/debranding phones.

I bought this one from Dabs.com about ten years ago and it cost me about £25 then.

http://www.startech.com/Cards-Adapters/ ... ICUSB232V2

The RS232 end, has like half a computer (at least two ICs I can see through the casing) in it, to make sure devices can talk to the computer.