Motorola GP6xx series

The place to discuss Commercial & Private licensed hand held & mobile transceivers, as well as imported hand held and mobile transceivers.
radiogaga
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26TM399

Motorola GP6xx series

Post by radiogaga »

I think my research is right, can the Motorola GP 6xx series of radios be put into conventional mode rather than trunked mode?

Cheers
26TM399 Hampshire and Isle of Wight
30TM399 Northern Costa Blanca
wheelbarrow
Regular
Regular

Re: Motorola GP6xx series

Post by wheelbarrow »

Yes, just like the GM1280 and GM660 the GP6xx series are MPT with basic conventional mode available as a second personality (4 personalities to select on a GP680 for example) - no 5 tone or scan options are available on the Professional MPT GP/GM series. The same CPS programs all MPT models in this range.

Even better is that a codeplug from a GP640, GP644, GP680, GP688, GP1280, GM660, GM1280 are all interchangeable (within the same freq band) so any codeplug can very quickly be tested and used in another model with only minor changes to things like the idle display setting, the mobile options etc.

Conventional mode on these models are very basic though, very little can be done other than enter the TX/RX freqs, the PL/CTCSS, the power, and not much more really. You can just program in 1 conventional personality so no trunk personality exists if you wanted to.
radiogaga
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26TM399

Post by radiogaga »

Thanks for that - My house is filling up with PMR Gear! :)
26TM399 Hampshire and Isle of Wight
30TM399 Northern Costa Blanca
phillmobile
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by phillmobile »

if they are vhf gp6xx i will buy from you
miker
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: M6YRM

Post by miker »

So I have a GP680 of unknown provenance. It gives an EEPROM Cksum error when I try to program a conventional personality into it. As soon as I remove it, it's "fine". I only need conventional usage. Anyone able and happy to flash it to a GP380 instead and retune it if necessary? I've considered doing it myself, but just don't have the time to wrap my head round it all!
wheelbarrow
Regular
Regular

Post by wheelbarrow »

So you can read and write to the GP680 but when loading a conventional personality into it, then on reboot it gives EEPROM CKSUM ERR on the display?

Assuming you're loading in a good codeplug (ie not corrupted or for different version) then it might indicate a memory fault on the radio, I've had a few that give this fault and they've always had to go back to Motorola for replacement/repair.

You could try opening the CPS, finding the stock codeplugs that are in the CPS folder (lots in there, all named with the version intended for) and program that into it.

Alternatively I can see if I've got a GP680 conventional Codeplug to hand and send you that to try. Can't help on reflashing to a GP380 though.
miker
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: M6YRM

Post by miker »

wheelbarrow wrote:So you can read and write to the GP680 but when loading a conventional personality into it, then on reboot it gives EEPROM CKSUM ERR on the display?
Precisely
Assuming you're loading in a good codeplug (ie not corrupted or for different version) then it might indicate a memory fault on the radio, I've had a few that give this fault and they've always had to go back to Motorola for replacement/repair.
So far as I know it's good, I've done it by pulling the codeplug in there out, adding a personality, and putting it back in. It does then tell me it's too new and needs converting for an older version though? It seems to convert and do it!
You could try opening the CPS, finding the stock codeplugs that are in the CPS folder (lots in there, all named with the version intended for) and program that into it.

Alternatively I can see if I've got a GP680 conventional Codeplug to hand and send you that to try. Can't help on reflashing to a GP380 though.
I'll try that, and if you have one that would be great, I'll try that too!

There seem to be mythical people on the internet that can do it, lot's of people saying things like "it's easy" and "I've done loads". finding and getting hold of such people seems much harder though!
wheelbarrow
Regular
Regular

Post by wheelbarrow »

The Professional series trunk radios from Moto are thankfully very unfussy about writing old/new variations of codeplugs in, the CPS gives you the warning but it does just work. One exception is if you use an older version CPS on a newer version firmware radio, it may not work.

I can let you have a conventional codeplug for GP680, it was from a fairly old radio so should work in most firmware versions. Message me your email and I'll send it. It may work.