Baofeng 888-s and PMR/ 446

The place to discuss Commercial & Private licensed hand held & mobile transceivers, as well as imported hand held and mobile transceivers.
Naytdawg
Regular
Regular

Baofeng 888-s and PMR/ 446

Post by Naytdawg »

ive been looking at getting some of these from fleebay and putting a couple on 446 for me and wife for motorbike rides as it has a vox and that cheap cant complain, is the "LOW" power setting enough to make it legal ? <0.5w any other implications on putting pmr446 on a "programmed" radio as opposed to one bought "off the shelf"?

also once im licenced again i will put them on uk gen freq's and problem solved

cheers
buzz500
Regular
Regular

Re: Baofeng 888-s and PMR/ 446

Post by buzz500 »

Hi,in a word,no,not legal,not type approved etc.
Buzz
Naytdawg
Regular
Regular

Post by Naytdawg »

so best option with this equipment would be get a uk gen licence again and use them on those freqs
LeakyFeeder
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by LeakyFeeder »

Last thing i would want when out on the bike is to have someone talking to me.. would ruin the ride an is one distraction tooo many! :shh:
buzz500
Regular
Regular

Post by buzz500 »

I agree,I love my solitude with my bikes,just get some standard pmr`s,you might be suprised just how good they can be,I love my Binatones,running my FRN gateway on them,bog standard,very impressed.Compared with the Bumfengs,they win hands down,and legal too!
LeakyFeeder
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by LeakyFeeder »

Bumfengs ffs! :lol:
scanhermit

Post by scanhermit »

i ,just get some standard pmr`s,you might be suprised just how good they can be

While monitoring with my LIDL PMR radio in Heslington, York, I was able to hear a motorcycle tutor as he coached his student around the southern ring road. I must easily have had them for up to 4 miles judging by the tutor's directions.
M3ZZN

Post by M3ZZN »

the bf 888s are hreat radios on pmr 446 i have a pair and they are durable solid good radios in my opinion nothing wrong with baofengs at all very good brand of radio some are even better than yeasu kenwoods etc i have spoken to around 8 other people and they went out and bought them not long after and uv5r's so they do the job good battery power and loud clear audio
i have a radio review and help guide on my youtube channel
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin
Call Sign: 26TM175

Post by MrWeetabix »

Buy them, and put yourself on 446.000. Nobody will care and you'll get no idle chit-chat. Not legal, but let the Fuzz come and find you, then try to catch you ;-)
26TM175. OP: Craig. QTH: Gateshead IO94EW. Also 163TM175 when mobile in Wales 8)

Transmission1 on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TM1onFB | Tango Mike on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TangoMikeFB |
radiosification
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by radiosification »

If you're gonna use 446 channels, at least use the correct frequency so you don't bleedover onto other channels.
If you're interested in digital voice, check out my YouTube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/radiosification
pmr446man
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by pmr446man »

If its bike to bike surely mid range legal 446's are fine - if not you may find the extra 3.5W makes a small difference depending on the curvature of the Earth and obstruction.
I sometimes wonder if scientists should analyse the way UHF signals work as it can be quite random in different places.
pmr446 king.
BK
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by BK »

pmr446man wrote:I sometimes wonder if scientists should analyse the way UHF signals work as it can be quite random in different places.
Given an accurate model with the permittivity, permeability and reflectivity of the terrain and all the objects on it (foliage, buildings, etc) then propagation predictions for UHF are pretty useable. The problem of course is getting an accurate model. Elevation models are pretty good now we have the SRTM radar topography data, but most models make general assumptions about the ground characteristics and only include foliage and buildings in a statistical sense, if at all. Foliage and buildings are more important at UHF as attenuation and reflection is higher compared with VHF, It's lack of accuracy in the models that limits the reliability of coverage predictions.
Naytdawg
Regular
Regular

Post by Naytdawg »

cheers all, im gonna re apply for a a uk gen licence as i have some other bits n peices for work related radios so i'll stay legal, ive got the kind of luck i would park up and transmit next to an ofcom man in a van, stall my engine then cry.
pmr446man
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by pmr446man »

Naytdawg wrote:cheers all, im gonna re apply for a a uk gen licence as i have some other bits n peices for work related radios so i'll stay legal, ive got the kind of luck i would park up and transmit next to an ofcom man in a van, stall my engine then cry.
Lol, Nice scenario :)
pmr446 king.