baofeng bf88s scrambler compatibilty?

The place to discuss Commercial & Private licensed hand held & mobile transceivers, as well as imported hand held and mobile transceivers.
M3ZZN

baofeng bf88s scrambler compatibilty?

Post by M3ZZN »

hey all i have got 2 baofeng bf88s which have the "beat shift" function i.e scrambler but they wont work togeather i had a look online and found that 1 has a green sticker under the battery and the other has a blue k

is there anyway i can update either radio so they will work
thelad
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: baofeng bf88s scrambler compatibilty?

Post by thelad »

I have some copy's of the BF888 called Magiksun TM-490. They both have the "beat shift" option and work, one has the green sticker but the other does not but the other will not work with CTCSS very strange so i also wonder if the software can be changed.
Uniden UBC120XLT
Uniden USC230E
Uniden UBC3500XLT
Binatone PMR MR500 x2
Magiksun TM-490 (BF-888) x3
Baofeng BF-888
TTI TSC 100R
Baofeng UVB5
Zastone D900
Icom IC-R6
bigbloke
Top Poster
Top Poster
Location: Nominally Newport (South Wales) but potentially "anywhere"

Post by bigbloke »

"beat shift" isnt usually scrambler

it tweaks the local oscillator so that if you have an internal source of interference on your chosen channel , then it moves it slightly

Many radios have the scrambler menu which shows you can set Scrambler on and off but the option board isnt fitted.

I started a scrambled radio inter-operability list on here ...but..it was treated with derision - so I binned it

Regards

BB
Mitch
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: M1TCH

Post by Mitch »

The 'beat shift' is the scrambler on/off on BF-888S radios, but it's easy enough to edit the english.ini file so it says 'Scrambler' instead, I've just done mine so now it looks the biz :)
I'd be interested to see the scrambler compatabilty list too, do you still have a copy?
M3ZZN wrote:hey all i have got 2 baofeng bf88s which have the "beat shift" function i.e scrambler but they wont work togeather i had a look online and found that 1 has a green sticker under the battery and the other has a blue k

is there anyway i can update either radio so they will work
Only the one with the green 'update' sticker has the scrambler enabled so if you find another radio with that same sticker they will work together. The blue 'K' sticker one doesn't have it fitted and I don't know if it's possible to upgrade it, I doubt it though.
The perfect face for radio.