Kirisun S780

The place to discuss Commercial & Private licensed hand held & mobile transceivers, as well as imported hand held and mobile transceivers.
radiosification
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Kirisun S780

Post by radiosification »

Well, I like to buy two radios so you can give one to someone else!
If you're interested in digital voice, check out my YouTube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/radiosification
handyguy2002

Post by handyguy2002 »

I wished I bought 2 now instead of just the 1. but hoping to get another soon,
I would not mind if the radio would let me input freq, but it wont, I have done the data file I want to use but cant do anything until I get me cable.
Binatone 950
QuanSheng TG-UV2
TYT 380 + TYT 9600
Kirisun S780
Uniden +BCT15x + BCD396t +BCD536 hp
HYTERA PD505
WHISTLER TRX2
TRON

Post by TRON »

{bnghd} Forget it.
handyguy2002

Post by handyguy2002 »

is 1.3.4.32 higher than 1.3.4.7 as im thinking of updating my Kirisun s780 but need to know which is higher.... and weather its worth it
Binatone 950
QuanSheng TG-UV2
TYT 380 + TYT 9600
Kirisun S780
Uniden +BCT15x + BCD396t +BCD536 hp
HYTERA PD505
WHISTLER TRX2
Bogget
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Bogget »

I have 2 and oh boy they are so how can i say this ......stick with analog if you want semi secure coms for a small building then OK but for range they are not good and for mobile forget it the error correction is not good enough.

you can easily decode them using dsd (as with most digital) so do not think it is secure but will stop casual evesdroppers.

Bogget
Amateur does not have a CH its pronounced "am-a-tore" NOT am-a-chure !
radiosification
Top Poster
Top Poster

Erm no you can't. I have tried and its not possible at all. The vocoder is not even supported by dsd. Additionally, dPMR is not supported by dsd!! Where on earth did you get this information from that they can be decoded by dsd.
Mad4radio

Post by Mad4radio »

What a load of terd ;-) that these can be decoded via dsd.... They not I've tried on dsd even the d-star decoder & not a bean,
I'm inclined to see where you got your info from?? (Its wrong my friend) & the digital comms side of it are reasonable as I've tried them over a distance of 5 mile via a white stick & is some what impressive.

Regards guys
radiosification
Top Poster
Top Poster

Are you going to explain, bogget, or are you just going to disappear and wish we hadn't noticed your fact materialisation efforts!!
phillowe
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: M6PHV

Post by phillowe »

Simple Question:

A group of us do a lot of hill walking etc in our spare time but also the main reason we want these is because we do some security work for a local estate and we need some privacy etc.

Do we get some yes or no ???
radiosification
Top Poster
Top Poster

The simple answer is no. Get something better than these, the range on digital is not very good from my tests. You can pm me if you want any additional advice.
TRON

Post by TRON »

radiosification wrote: You can pm me if you want any additional advice.
Whats the point of you shooting off to have a conversation in private? How will the other members benefit from the conversation?
phillowe wrote:Simple Question:
Do we get some yes or no ???
Depends on the range you expect to get. You will NEVER rival Airwave for coverage and redundancy, but if you plan what you are doing and stick to the plan, there's no reason why you can't cover the areas you wish to cover.
The Kirisuns (like all chinese radios) are lower quality than Motorola / Sepura DMR/Tetra kit, but that is reflected in the price.

A brand new Sepura Tetra terminal will set you back WELL over £1,500 when you take programming software, cable, charger etc into consideration.

So.. to get a complete handheld + prog lead + charger + software for under £100 is a STEAL.

The Kirisuns are of a reasonable build quality, so won't look too embarrassing in front of customers, they would be extremely difficult to eavesdrop which will fulfill data protection.
They do cost less than £100 though, so how will they hold up in the rain? What if they are dropped? Local dealerships?

There's a lot of variables.

If you just want to experiment, and you have a back up plan (mobile phones) I'd go right ahead and PUNISH them. See what happens.

If you have a limited budget, and need something that will work FIRST time EVERY time, I'd get a set of Motorola GP340's on VHF low (circa 50 MHz).
radiosification
Top Poster
Top Poster

I disagree with that point on jist buying some to test out. I have a pair of s780s. They never get used because the range is so bad. Once the signal on analog gets the slightest bit of noise, the digital on the s780 is gone.
Mad4radio

Post by Mad4radio »

radiosification wrote:I disagree with that point on jist buying some to test out. I have a pair of s780s. They never get used because the range is so bad. Once the signal on analog gets the slightest bit of noise, the digital on the s780 is gone.
Ok a few things, for one the kirisun's do offer some sort of privacy as you can incorporate your own unique encryption key, secondly the only reason you don't use the s780's is that you bourght a couple of the 3400's. I've tried & tested the kirisun with a range test myself & performed quite well infact better than your you tube vidz, you've definitely got a issue with one of your kirisun's as you previously stated you was having problems at inputting a certain frequency & the CPS would round it off. Before you acquired the 3400's all your comments towards the s780's where in favour of the build quality & performance it's only since you have played with the 3400's that your comments are all negative to the s780's.

The kirisun's are a fantastic little radio with a lot more capabilities than the dp3400's only because the kirisun's have a display for MS checking & messaging capabilities etc..... Granted if the the 3400's had a display then maybe I'd vow in favour of your comments but as it stands for a cheaper way into playing digital on the pmr bands then the s780's should certainly not be slated, dpmr & DMR are two totally difo modes of operation & both offer difo capabilities with some good features & both certainly offer security features, I have models DM4600, DP3600, & some DP3400's along with the S780's & like them all as I like to keep my options open but as I've always said just because you prefer DMR doesn't mean you have to slate dpmr.

The S780's are an absolute steal & for less than £100 wether its buisness use or just general use work very well & more so as they's talk of a dpmr repeater with an NOV that's been submitted for the 1st Uk dpmr repeater says its defo on the up.

Kind regards
radiosification
Top Poster
Top Poster

Mad4radio wrote: Ok a few things, for one the kirisun's do offer some sort of privacy as you can incorporate your own unique encryption key, secondly the only reason you don't use the s780's is that you bourght a couple of the 3400's. I've tried & tested the kirisun with a range test myself & performed quite well infact better than your you tube vidz, you've definitely got a issue with one of your kirisun's as you previously stated you was having problems at inputting a certain frequency & the CPS would round it off. Before you acquired the 3400's all your comments towards the s780's where in favour of the build quality & performance it's only since you have played with the 3400's that your comments are all negative to the s780's.

The kirisun's are a fantastic little radio with a lot more capabilities than the dp3400's only because the kirisun's have a display for MS checking & messaging capabilities etc..... Granted if the the 3400's had a display then maybe I'd vow in favour of your comments but as it stands for a cheaper way into playing digital on the pmr bands then the s780's should certainly not be slated, dpmr & DMR are two totally difo modes of operation & both offer difo capabilities with some good features & both certainly offer security features, I have models DM4600, DP3600, & some DP3400's along with the S780's & like them all as I like to keep my options open but as I've always said just because you prefer DMR doesn't mean you have to slate dpmr.

The S780's are an absolute steal & for less than £100 wether its buisness use or just general use work very well & more so as they's talk of a dpmr repeater with an NOV that's been submitted for the 1st Uk dpmr repeater says its defo on the up.

Kind regards
Let me address your points.
Yes they do offer a type of encryption. I don't deny that, and I never have done.
The frequency issue I had was just the cps not accepting a 3.125 KHz step. This won't have affected the operation of the radios, as they were both programmed to the same frequency eventually. (Before I made the videos)

It's not true that I dislike dPMR. I think its a very good mode, and would consider buying dPMR radios in the future. I speak badly of the kirisun s780 in particular because it, in my experience, has bad range. And lets be honest. What use is a radio that doesn't work at any distance?
In fact, I wouldn't even say I prefer DMR to dPMR. They are modes with different purposes. DMR is better for repeaters, because you get 2 talk paths in one repeater. Whereas dPMR is better for simplex operation, where TDMA is useless and you should (theoretically) get better range using a 6.25KHz channel.
I would like to get a dPMR radio that worked well at longer ranges. I know I could rely on one of the better know manufacturers to do this. The Kenwood and Icom NXDN radios (which also do dPMR now) could work just as well as analog I'm sure. I simply don't like the way kirisun's design has such an awful range.

Neither do I think the build quality of the s780 is bad - its not up to commercial radio standards like the dp3400, of course, but its not bad at all. If it was waterproof, and the screen was more scratch proof, I'd say it was almost as well built as the dp3400 is.

It is not only since I bought the dp3400s that I thought the kirisuns were bad. Admittedly, early on, my view of the product was not complete. I talked about it and made videos before I had done any proper range testing.
Even after one radio failed and I had to send it back to china, I still kept an open mind about them.
It was after testing these radios in the field, that I realised that they're not really that great. I did a few tests. The first video, I actually didn't end up editing and uploading, because I didn't believe the results I found. I was honestly surprised that the radios had such a bad range. I was expecting an awful lot more from the digital, but it wasn't even as good as the analog.
So I did a second video, which was after I got the dp3400s, to verify that it was definitely correct and an accurate result. Yet again I was disappointed.

As you say, maybe there is a problem with my s780s, but bogget also said that he found the range of them to be not good. Maybe it was not a problem only with mine, but with the design of the radios.
It could have simply been the environment we were testing them in: people who did proper tests on these radios said that they got easily de-sensed by other radio frequencies, even ones that are nowhere near the receiving frequency.
Maybe just using them in a city was too much RF for them to handle, but if so, thats not very good circuit design is it?

Or maybe its just a bad radio as you say. But if their quality control is that bad, that 2 users on the same forum, and many other people on the internet have the same problem, then is it really worth the risk?
I also remember someone else asking how they can get better range from their kirisun's. I don't remember if it was on here or on my blog, but obviously they were not impressed with the range either.

The kirisun has some useful features, but you can get those features in other radios for similar prices, or even cheaper. Take the Zastone ZT-9908 for example. The kirisun also has some terrible design, such as when you try to private call someone, it never tells you if they have received your call or not. Compared to on the motorolas, where it gives you a talk permit tone, this is just poor. On the kirisun you could be talking for quite a few seconds before it beeps to tell you there was no response from the radio. If you were sending a short message, you would never even know that the person didn't get the message. You can presence check on the dp3400 by having a private call programmed in, then pushing the PTT button and waiting for a response from the other radio.
These little glitches in the radios firmware, along with the terrible range, makes the whole radio just seem like a gimmick. Like those kids 49MHz toy walkie talkies. Not something I would ever rely on for anything even remotely important.
Now tell me if that's still worth buying for a small group that need comms, when it will be replaced eventually anyway.

I don't see how something can be "a steal" if it doesn't work as it should.
I'm struggling to think of a comparison, but imagine the traffic police using push bikes to chase criminals on the motorway.
Yeah they work, and they're really really cheap, but will they do the job they're needed for?

Oh, that dPMR amateur repeater you mentioned that is going to be put up, it most likely won't work with the Kirisuns anyway. They use a non standard vocoder, and other people on the internet have tried them with icom dPMR repeaters before and they didn't work. So, the dPMR repeater that is being put up will more likely be a more standard version of dPMR that uses the normal AMBE+2 vocoder used by icom and kenwood, and possibly some other chinese dPMR radios, but not the kirisun.
Last edited by radiosification on 25 Mar 2014, 17:59, edited 1 time in total.
radiosification
Top Poster
Top Poster

TRON wrote:
radiosification wrote: You can pm me if you want any additional advice.
Whats the point of you shooting off to have a conversation in private? How will the other members benefit from the conversation?
To keep this thread on topic. I would have recommended other radios, and it would have taken the thread far off topic.