Need to call on your hommebrew experience please!

Do you enjoy making your own equipment or antennas? Discuss construction and design in here.
dodgeyvanner
Regular
Regular

Need to call on your hommebrew experience please!

Post by dodgeyvanner »

Hi all

The battery holder in a deviation meter I have recently brought (9 x D cells, 3 rows of 3) has obviously had some batteries left in it and this has caused one of the contact points to break off /disappear. I have shown this in the photos, can I ask from your experience:-

1. Are these tabs still available?
2. Is there an easy fix to replace it if not.?
3. As it needs13.5v from the 9 d cells could I wire out the battery holder and power it some other way maybe with AA's etc or from a transformer?

1st photo shows the missing tab to contact with the end of the battery, the next two show what the part should look like.

Hope you can help!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tigersaw
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: GW6RRL

Re: Need to call on your hommebrew experience please!

Post by Tigersaw »

Maybe a pan head screw the right dimensions, file the head flat, redrill hole, push it through, resolder?
dodgeyvanner
Regular
Regular

Post by dodgeyvanner »

Very ingenious - Thank you very much!! I will get started, may take me a few days - need to find a file as haven't got one, yes I know that's rather poor.

Will post a pic once done!
prettypolly
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26FB185

Post by prettypolly »

is the hommebrew tequila ??
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

Does it need to be portable? Can't you just stick it on 13.8v supply?
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
dodgeyvanner
Regular
Regular

Post by dodgeyvanner »

I did wonder that Admiral as in point 3, how would you go about doing that regarding the wiring and would u need any extra components?
Tim
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26AT239

Post by Tim »

What you could use is one of those brass paper pin thingy's, rounded convex head with a pair of flat 'tail' pins on the back that you open out, I'm sure you know what I mean, clean up the corroded area back to shiny metal, drill a hole to pass the pins of the paper pin through, head on the battery side of course, open them up and solder, that I reckon would work. If you adapted it for a 12V supply externally then you would need to link the battery contacts together, the first + (positive) you solder a tail of red wire to connect to the positive of the supply then solder a red wire across all positive connections and a black wire across all negative contacts and on the last negative solder another but longer black wire for the negative connection to the supply. You should only need thin wires, about 5Amp, connecting the internal connections and the two for the supply can be thicker wiring, same as a rig feed cable, around 10Amp.
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

Well if you use an external PSU then surely you can go +vcc to the fuse and negative to ground???? Unless it's some kind of crazy positive ground, highly unlikely in radio gear, but always possible if it was meant as portable only.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
Tim
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26AT239

Post by Tim »

If the positive and negative wires from the battery compartment to the unit are accessible you could utilise them and bypass the battery compartment altogether or, if the battery compartment was of a size, get a 12V NiCad battery pack and Tamiya type connectors or similar.
mountainpenguin
Regular
Regular

Post by mountainpenguin »

magnets on the battery work well.