Just a theory Antennas

Do you enjoy making your own equipment or antennas? Discuss construction and design in here.
StormShadow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Just a theory Antennas

Post by StormShadow »

So you'd have a UHF dipole now compare that with a 40 meter dipole? I'm talking about the thickness of the elements so for example a 70cms dipole is small with thicker elements that you'd have a 40 meter dipole antenna with thin elements... Now this is my theory, having a chunky 40 meter dipole with thick elements, I'm talking at least 2 foot thick elements this will have better performance that a standard wire dipole right?
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Re: Just a theory Antennas

Post by Admiral »

A 40m dipole with 2ft thick elements? You'd need a leccy pylon to keep it in the air.

As you're talking theory, then the performance shouldn't be any better than a wire dipole at the same height, but the advantage would be that you could probably put 500kw through it whereas the wire would burn up at around 1kw.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
StormShadow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by StormShadow »

Its interesting tho. I made a 2 meter wire dipole when I was first licensed from speaker wire and performed crap. I then tried thicker wire and the performance improved, then when I made a dipole from copper pipe later on that worked even better so I reckon the thickness has some part to play in the performance.
StormShadow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by StormShadow »

Somebody please tell me that my theory is wrong in regards to thickness of antennas having more performance? I need a few more opinion's to put my mind at rest
2E1IIP

Post by 2E1IIP »

RF travels on the outside (surface skin effect) of the conductor, like any AC voltage however a larger diameter will give a slightly wider bandwidth.
dt307
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 163dt307

Post by dt307 »

as above the only advantages of thicker elements is
more bandwidth
more power handling
can be made to be self supporting ie 10m dipole
163dt307-chris

“I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots.”
― Albert Einstein
theEarwigger
Call Sign: M0RZF

Post by theEarwigger »

A practical "thicker elements" antenna is here:
http://www.tc2m.info/TC2M%20HF%20Vertical%20G8JNJ.pdf