Server converted power supplys.

Do you enjoy making your own equipment or antennas? Discuss construction and design in here.
sureshot
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: 26TM413

Server converted power supplys.

Post by sureshot »

Won't make this a long post, just some infomation for anyone intersted, if your wanting to use high current gear these can be picked up for very good price. There are many models of server psu units, i can confirm these HP units out perform any ATX i've modded to date, you can find these on ebay easily, and what a bargain ! everything in the tutorial link is accurate, although i oppted for 560R half watt resistor to switch on. Its a blade interface, and as such good quality units deserves a blade interface, metered with multiple outputs for mine. Anyway well worth doing for any radio gear.

http://www.rchelination.com/setting-hp- ... er-supply/

PS In the tutorial he does parallel a pair, not something i would recommend, but single units fine.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CB call. Shipwreck.
sec1223
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Server converted power supplys.

Post by sec1223 »

bit technical.
cant stand IGNORANT b******ds
kr0ne
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kr0ne »

How you finding the noise level sureshot? If you re-pack the PCBs in a nice big, roomy, steel case you can get away with a much slower (and quieter) fan...

A standard 80mm job will do the trick nicely and you can bin the micro-miniature jet engine from server PSU... ;-)
Mattylad
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: RDX64

Post by Mattylad »

I take it that its not possible to get 13.8v?

I have heard about these before, that they make a damn good high current PSU.
sureshot
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sureshot »

kr0ne wrote:How you finding the noise level sureshot? If you re-pack the PCBs in a nice big, roomy, steel case you can get away with a much slower (and quieter) fan...

A standard 80mm job will do the trick nicely and you can bin the micro-miniature jet engine from server PSU... ;-)
At the moment the noise in this unit when idle is very quiet, i have heard some sound like jet engines, and re casing is an easy option, but i'm sure the cooling is full PWM fan control, i have not had a big enough load yet to know. If becomes an issue, then yes i would re case it, but its size for power ratio is amazing, not that i will ever get close lol but its rated at +12 @ 100Amps huge current. My use has been temporary for testing so far, with the blade interface i was going to fashion a receptical to except the blade, giving an options interface, but very portable. A look inside screams quality as you have said before Kr0ne, for those wanting high current supply for there needs should look into these units.

As Mattylad said about 13.80 volts i'm not sure, but i doubt it, as over voltage protection circuits would kick in and not allow it, but almost all radio gear has an operational tolerance range from 11.40 - 14.40 volts, in action with radio and amps i have never noticed a marked reduction in power at 12.00 - 12.70 volts against the rated 13.80 volts.

I bought a pair of them, no secret, they where £28 each, but i'm very happy with them. When i have made it up i will post my version of the blade interface. :)

PS. Oh the small black box in the picture next to the psu's is not related to them, its a RCA phono change over for my desktop seprates tuner cd player media speakers setup lol.
CB call. Shipwreck.
sureshot
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sureshot »

Just another artical for the same unit, on voltage increase, if you remove the third potentiometer in the first link tutorial you can use a fixed resistor to get the following in the screen shot write up posted below, just removing the top of the preset and cutting the carbon track is enough to solder that fixed resistor in, i'm fine with the 12.45 volts i'm getting, but this mod will take it higher.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CB call. Shipwreck.
cjay
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: cjay

Post by cjay »

'Pry the movable part of the trimmer off. Grind or file a gap in the carbon trace'

Bloody hell, that's a bodge and a half.

They do make cracking high current supplies but really, the fixation on 13.8V is a bit silly, it's a nominal voltage for a fully charged car battery, I haven't met a mobile radio yet that won't work well on 12.5 volts.

Having said that, there's no good reason not to have 13.8V, I reckon it'd be a simple resistor change and I *think* it's probably the resistor underneath the trimmer on the right hand side but I'd need a PSU to prod about in to work it out.

As for OVP, I think that limit could also be increased with a resistor change.

Now if anyone can find the 48V HP Blade server power supplies at a decent price....
sureshot
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sureshot »

I personally can't see opening up the voltage adj potentiometer and making a break in the track a problem, ok it is limited in as much as its not a full mod like altering the OVP circuit, but it no worse than opening a circuit in a copper trace and adding say a resistor, that mods from the RC forums, seems fine to me. For most purposes and +12 volt applications there's really no need to, the stock measured +12.45 volts is fine for my needs. Only posted the added fixed resistor mod for anyone wanting a bit extra, i think its possible to over engineer a moded supply, but this cuts short of that.

Only a few if that will concider using a SMPS for there needs, "the dreaded electrical noise the dam things make is strong in the opinions of many" but for those that know there's a good use and huge saving to run that high power radio or monster amp, for power junkys like me lol. No i'm doing it for to reasons, 1st can it be done ? 2nd does it work well in that application 3rd i love moding or re purppose redundant electronics, 4th you save money. I know its not for everyone, but if a handful of people get some thing out of it, then its worth the mention. Anyone that wants to over enginner one thats cool as well.
CB call. Shipwreck.
kr0ne
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kr0ne »

Yeah, the fans are PWM controlled but for many this is controlled by the server and defaults to full pelt when you run the PSU outside of a server chassis.

Sounds like yours doesn't do this though sureshot, so bonus!

Because these things are intended for equipment rooms, quiet running is rarely a design consideration.

Re electrical noise, I've played with a few Dell and HP / Compaq ones and all have been electrically quiet with the exception of one HP psu that later went faulty. If you want to hear noise, try switching on your battery charger while running off batteries! ;)
cjay
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by cjay »

I wouldn't bother modding it personally, 12.5 ish is plenty for my needs too, I realise it wasn't your mod and it was really just an observation that the mod looks very hacky so could be done better with a little more effort. (BTW, check out 411099-001, almost double the power and the ones I want 373701-001, 37A 50V for a linear :) )

I too love to repurpose old electronics and mod it, witness the growing pile of 'scrap' old radios I'm slowly resurrecting from the dead. The MOSFET experiment I'm plodding on with is basically a result of the contrary nature of my personality, if someone says it can't be done/isn't worth doing etc. etc. I want to do it.
kr0ne
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kr0ne »

You can't send me 100 quid in the post and even if you could, it wouldn't be worth doing anyways........ :D
cjay
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by cjay »

Rather do it myself anyway :)

I'm only in this for the learning
sureshot
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sureshot »

IMG_20150515_195939770.jpg
Not a very impressive set up, just not long moved house from three bed terrace to a two bed massionete "B" tax /-: have to review this temp set up soon. Anyway took the option to try and mount the 4mm binding posts through the blade, there is enough clearence and the GRP is excellent quality, solder up the 560R resistor and its good to go. My limited range on this tiny mag mount with 4 watts is about 3 miles, review to another soon this is only temp, I won't be popular using RF pwr in the evening hour, most come on late here anyway, on a revised antenna out on a short bracket except I will limit it to 100w or there abouts, anyway these units work fine, and for the few quid I paid for these two units a bargain.
CB call. Shipwreck.
sureshot
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sureshot »

Just thought i would add another to the list, not one i would recommend so more a post to avoid this particular unit.So the latest ones i tried where a couple of HP Proliant 700GB its was an easy conversion, but the unit is fussy about changes in load, if your load is constant its fine, but changes in load are unavoidable with radio use.

The issue with the above unit is audible noise once added load is removed, re add the load and noise goes. So i would avoid these units, a shame because the components are quality, i'l just use it for other non radio stuff. Another problem is this model comes with no cooling fan, i added a 40mm axial fan with a series resistor to drop its speed a little.

Being that the majority of users on the web looking to convert these units, mainly the RC community, any electrical noise is of no concern to them i doubt. The first unit i converted in this thread is the 1200 watt psu and its completely fine (pictures below) anyways might try and aquire some dell and IBM units next, although there are still a couple of other HP units i will get round to trying.

I would just point out if your not 100% of your own ability then go and buy your power requirements, electricity is dangerous. But if your ok with moding electrical gear it can be rewarding. The link below has a lot of information on how the RC guys convert these units, the biggest single source of info i can find. Anyway i'l be back in this thread when i get more positives to post.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthre ... &t=1292514

The camera flash obscured the label on the 700 watt unit its 12.15 volts rated at 56 amps.
Last edited by sureshot on 04 Jun 2015, 23:45, edited 1 time in total.
CB call. Shipwreck.
sureshot
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sureshot »

Some other pictures. The added fan to the HP 700 GB as it has no fan built in to it.
The two units with the green labels are the 1200 watt units, and the silver white label unit is the 700 watt unit.
CB call. Shipwreck.