3 Band Homebrew rx.

Do you enjoy making your own equipment or antennas? Discuss construction and design in here.
M0JSW

3 Band Homebrew rx.

Post by M0JSW »

Found a nice little,3 band,regenerative rx circuit.No IC`s,no trimmers to adjust,just solder together and it should work.20,30 and 40m on a 3 position switch.I had most bits in,just needed 4 transistors that cost 39p each from maplins.Amazingly it worked on the first test,but it`ll be interesting to get the frequency counter on it to see where its band edges are and perhaps adjust the coils by a turn or two if needed.Its very sensitive and needs a steady hand to tune,but its fun to play with.Mounted it in a grotty old tobacco tin.
Nice project for a novice like me,plus I now have an rx for 30m.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
M0JSW
MonkeyWorks
New User
New User
Call Sign: yo8tot

Re: 3 Band Homebrew rx.

Post by MonkeyWorks »

Very nice :) I also made a regenerative receiver for 80m band and one super regenerative for FM, using vacuum tubes. It is possible to measure the frequency. I made a high impedance probe with a fet and for the first radio it was enough to move this probe close to the radio to get a stable reading on the frequency counter :)
pentode
Regular
Regular

Post by pentode »

Looks a nice little project, any chance of a link to the web page / schematic,
Andy
M0JSW

Post by M0JSW »

I no longer have the link but I do still have the schem.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
M0JSW
normal
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by normal »

PA2OHH's page about his receiver design

http://www.qsl.net/pa2ohh/03rega.htm

A short blog entry by OK1CDJ who has built one

http://blog.ok1cdj.com/2013/01/jednoduc ... c-40m.html

Translated from Czech to english.

http://translate.google.co.uk/translate ... c-40m.html
Buick Mackane

Post by Buick Mackane »

M0JSW wrote:I no longer have the link but I do still have the schem.
Dragging up an old thread. But fancy having a stab at this. Built a few regens in the past. But they never quite worked the way i wanted them too.

Am i right in thinking that L2a & L2b consist of 2 x 3 turn coils joined in the centre? As per the pic below
I Am the great cornholio are you threatening me ?
crusty
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crusty »

You are spot on. Have fun.
normal
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by normal »

I think the whole of L2 needs to spiral the same way, not change direction in the middle
Buick Mackane

Post by Buick Mackane »

think iv'e got it sussed now, cheers gents
Buick Mackane

Post by Buick Mackane »

Heres my attempt at this receiver. Built into a tobacco tin. The original design was a tri bander. But the only toroid i had in the junk box was a T-50-2 And thats only good up to 10 mhz. So iv'e set it up for 40m :)
Andy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Andy »

It's amazing just how much 'back to basics' fun you can have with these simple RX desgns, and with careful operation you can hear pretty much anything you can hear on a shop-bought radio. Back in the 60's (watch out now, the 'when I were a lad' switch has been thrown) I used to build two or three transistor radios with regeneration or reflex (or both) and the performance could be astonishingly good. The pop pirate ships* which were weakish signals here in Manchester were easily audible.

*Note for youngsters - these were ships anchored off the coast, broadcasting popular teen-beat tunes to a young and groovy audience.
'SOMEONE GET ME A SAW!'
Andy.
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

Nice work PLL02A, I like it.

Believe it or not, I made a 'dead bug' civil airband RX just for S&G a few months back, and it actually worked, it was someone elses cleverness, I just followed the idiot guide, but when something works, and costs less than £4 (would cost virtually nothing to those with tins of old bits), it brings a big old grin to your chops.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
Buick Mackane

Post by Buick Mackane »

Just noticed your comments, Yeah you defo cant beat tuning round the bands on something you've built yourself. For such a simple design its quite stable with minimum drift, Any drift is easy to correct with a slight adjustment of the regen control. Ive decided to rebuild it as i wasnt happy with the messy component layout, Plus i want to make it more compact so i can get the battery in the tin as well, Having an external battery only leads to noise pickup etc, Watch this space for more crap quality pics from my crap quality camera phone :x

Just a bit of extra info, The original design uses BF494 Transistors for the RF amp & mixer, I didn't have any so i used 3904 ''popcorn'' transistors. Almost any low gain NPN could be used i suppose, the 3904 is around 200 hfe. For the audio amp i used BC548 Which are medium gain (400 hfe) and they produce plenty of volume, the original uses BC547 Which are rated around 800 hfe that would blow yer lugs off :shock:

Heres a diagram of how i wound the coil. Happy soldering troops :)
Buick Mackane

Post by Buick Mackane »

new and improved
Buick Mackane

Post by Buick Mackane »

Dragging up an old thread, But wanted to show off my new camera :D