Server converted power supplys.

Do you enjoy making your own equipment or antennas? Discuss construction and design in here.
sureshot
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: 26TM413

Re: Server converted power supplys.

Postby sureshot » 20 Apr 2017, 20:41

Admiral wrote:
sec1223 wrote:
Admiral wrote:Ah, okay, well then thanks sec1223, I finally got around to using it and runs like a charm, if you still remember your spec from 8 months ago sec1223 then I'd be interested to know how far I can push it.
And on my particular VHF set there was no noticeable extra noise created from this thing on NFM either, it always was an S1 on standby and still is.

they are 82A@12V, so probably 65-70A@13.8 at a guess

Jesus H. No wonder my 55w NFM didn't even turn the fan on, didn't realise it was that meaty, or forgot, cheers dude, it's a very tidy and pro conversion job too, looks very neat :thumbup:

You didn't even tickle it Admiral haha. couple here i tested fans run silent up to 300 watts, only really got going at 500 watts. Don't know what the hell i want them for now, just bought 6 x more DPS 800's 1000 watts, and some DPS 460's...
They where cheap... in my defense, just like tinkering.
Getting close to finishing the big linear psu now..
CB call. Shipwreck.

Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Postby Admiral » 20 Apr 2017, 23:04

The thing is guys, in a similar mindset to an old guy with SDR, like, how can this tiny stick be a radio receiver, radio receivers are huge things with lots of turny knobs and stuff right? Well how in hell can this little thing crank out 70A? My 50A linear PSU is enormous, strictly speaking with modern H&S then it should have two handles attached or a built in set of wheels as it weighs a ton and is about the size of a 1970's TV set, and gives out as much heat. I am going to do some 'noise' testing on HF with this switching server PSU, and so long as there is no significant increase in and already QRM filled environment then I'm afraid the linear set will be looking for a new home.

stanogs68
Top Poster
Top Poster

Postby stanogs68 » 21 Apr 2017, 00:23

god help you with the postage haha :lol: :lol:
computers mess with my brain !

sureshot
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: 26TM413

Postby sureshot » 21 Apr 2017, 01:58

Admiral wrote:The thing is guys, in a similar mindset to an old guy with SDR, like, how can this tiny stick be a radio receiver, radio receivers are huge things with lots of turny knobs and stuff right? Well how in hell can this little thing crank out 70A? My 50A linear PSU is enormous, strictly speaking with modern H&S then it should have two handles attached or a built in set of wheels as it weighs a ton and is about the size of a 1970's TV set, and gives out as much heat. I am going to do some 'noise' testing on HF with this switching server PSU, and so long as there is no significant increase in and already QRM filled environment then I'm afraid the linear set will be looking for a new home.

I hope it works for your set up Admiral. Its all in the semiconductors, there incredibly highly rated. The materials are 1st rate, they have to be to run dozens of server units 24/7. As long as your noise levels are ok, your on to a winner. Modern smps have come on in leaps and bounds. A decade or two ago they where dreadful noise boxes, filtering and design are so much better these days. And the IT industry won't except huge failure rates. So it should, hopefully be all good, fingers crossed.
CB call. Shipwreck.

Return to “Homebrew Equipment Discussion”