HF Long Wire

A place to discuss the HF and Shortwave listening side of the radio hobby. Discuss equipment, frequencies and antenna systems etc. Anything HF!
Panteneman
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Panteneman »

It's just down to band conditions. Over the winter though, it's all happening below 20m (14mhz). I would suggest the ATU route personally.

Oh, and here is an ATU found on eBay: Clickerage here

Palstar AA30
Speaking to people in foreign lands, with various configurations of copper wire in various strange shapes - my friends think I'm committing acts of witchcraft...
rationalgaze

Post by rationalgaze »

Cool, many thanks Panteneman! I'm guessing it doesn't really matter which ATU as long as it does 0 to 30mhz? The ATU route seems something worth trying so i'll try and get one off ebay soonish.

Craig.
Some people never use their initiative because nobody told them to.
Panteneman
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Panteneman »

AS long as it's for receive only purposes, and not to tune an antenna for transmitting with, then it's fine.

This will improve the HF side of things on the Yupiteru, due to it being easily overloaded, as you are able to match it and have the receiver usable rather than being swamped.
Speaking to people in foreign lands, with various configurations of copper wire in various strange shapes - my friends think I'm committing acts of witchcraft...
WILLOW
Regular
Regular

Preselector

Post by WILLOW »

Forget ATU on its own, the best thing i found for HF on a random wire in the past was a an MFJ 1025 (i think) Preselector, that will wake it up nicely.... the aerial is then tuned for each band of interest, bit like an old band spread control... Also it has an RF amp in the front end, with a gain control, used in combination with the Preselector tuning - you SHOULD be able to null out all the crap in the background and pull in that DX.... I used to have a Yupi and i NEVER hooked up an external ant. I found the tele to be adequate on HF. I once had a 50R Balun feeding an 80' long wire in a high QRM area, the background QRM was almost nulled out... nowadays i cant run a long wire outside :cry: so i expect the next one feeding the DX394 i have just bought will have to be attic homed!!! complete with all the QRM from the tellys in here :?
Willow..
"Illegal Officer? - No surely not"