HOW TO GET THE BEST OUT OF A DX 394 RADIO

A place to discuss the HF and Shortwave listening side of the radio hobby. Discuss equipment, frequencies and antenna systems etc. Anything HF!
WARLOCK
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26TM134

HOW TO GET THE BEST OUT OF A DX 394 RADIO

Post by WARLOCK »

I HAVE JUST BOUGHT A DX 394 RADIO FOR MY 14 YEAR OLD DISABLED SON TO USE HAS ANYONE GOT ANY TIPS AS TO HOW TO GET THE BEST RESULTS FROM THIS RADIO PLEASE?
From George WARLOCK and son Oliver,
kc
Top Poster
Top Poster

RE: HOW TO GET THE BEST OUT OF A DX 394 RADIO

Post by kc »

What sort of information do you want ?
Operating tips or optimising your set up ?
For the set up a long wire antenna fed from a balun at the bottom of the garden gives both minimum electrical noise due to location & minimum QRN due to the balun. It also earths the antenna at source & removes the need for a long electrical earth from the radio, which depending upon earth length can prevent the earth from becoming resonant.
Other options are a active antenna, which are very good, or a loop antenna which is what many serious amateur DX'ers now use for their station RX & as a loop antenna is small ,very low noise, slightly directional plus VERY easy to build for RX a good option.
So I passed this test that allows me to twiddle with knobs, push buttons & call my self an Advanced !!!!!!!
M0LSX
68OD636

Post by 68OD636 »

Have a look here:

http://www.monitor.co.uk/radio-mods/dx-394/dx-394.htm

The first thing you should do is the anti - chuffing mod, totally transforms the radio & makes it more pleasant to use.