new question, help

A place to discuss the HF and Shortwave listening side of the radio hobby. Discuss equipment, frequencies and antenna systems etc. Anything HF!
crowman

new question, help

Post by crowman »

hi all new to this, this is what im wanting, to be able to hear as much as poss, had an icom r20, had a lot of fun on it but now i want to go bigger and better. i want to be able to hear all hf conversations, ssb, am fm,radio stations from around the world, also cb with as much scope as poss. also need info on an ariel. please feel free to suggest as many radios as poss. buget of around ?1000, but can go one way or other. thanks to all. yours matt
kc
Top Poster
Top Poster

RE: new question, help

Post by kc »

I would personally say that ?1,000 is too much to spend on a SWL station.
There are lots of very good HF RX's around that will give you everything you want for ?500, if you then add on a long wire & some coax & a Balun to give you an earth at antenna source which will also keep the antenna well away from the house & ?600 would give you a top notch SWL station, in fact you could probably get a very good station on the air for around ?400 all in.
Look on Junksale, they often have good SWL RX's on there.
So I passed this test that allows me to twiddle with knobs, push buttons & call my self an Advanced !!!!!!!
M0LSX
a2c39a
Regular
Regular

RE: new question, help

Post by a2c39a »

Hi crowman,

As its so cheap ?25 + postage from China, make sure you get a DE1103 as well, to take anywhere with you!
It covers 100kHz to 30MHz AM/SSB and 76MHz to 108MHz FM. Its FM performance is the best I've ever had in a portable.
http://www.transmission1.co.uk/index.ph ... pic&t=6460
Only 170mm x 105mm x 30mm.

Best wishes, John.
g0slq
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by g0slq »

Well for a grand I think you could have some fun 8)

How about an AOR 7030 and a log periodic antenna? - does it have to be a receive only station? - i.e. would you contemplate transmitting in the future?

You could then obtain a transceiver, but as well as antennas, you'd be looking at power supplies, tuners, filtering etc.

I'm a little out of touch with the RX scene - have a look in the magazines to see what's being used these days for an idea. What KC says is true. You can do it for a lot less than ?1000, but if you can afford to - go for it 8)

Steve

Click below for further reading/info

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/g4ucj/Buying.pdf
G0SLQ website
Icom IC-7100 + two patchleads and a broken PL