Suitable HF RX Antenna?

A place to discuss the HF and Shortwave listening side of the radio hobby. Discuss equipment, frequencies and antenna systems etc. Anything HF!
rationalgaze

Suitable HF RX Antenna?

Post by rationalgaze »

Looking to stick an antenna up in the loft purely for listening on HF. Was wondering if you chaps could suggest a half decent antenna? Not really wanting to go over 70 quid, so any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks, Craig.
Andy
Top Poster
Top Poster

RE: Suitable HF RX Antenna?

Post by Andy »

Hi Craig - do you have a favourite band or do you plan to generally listen around? For general listening a piece of single wire will do, stapled to the joists. Run it in a horizontal L-shape and make it as long as you can without doubling back. If possible, keep it away from any mains wiring up there. That's about it - no need to spend any money!
'SOMEONE GET ME A SAW!'
Andy.
fez
Veteran
Veteran

Post by fez »

half size g5rv? homeade dipole as long as possible?
rationalgaze

Post by rationalgaze »

Just random listening, no specific area. Never quite understood the concept of "A wire" how does such a thing fit into the back of a receiver? All kinda new listening to the HF side of things, so excuse the silly questions :)

Craig.
Some people never use their initiative because nobody told them to.
fez
Veteran
Veteran

Post by fez »

a single wire will work but without being grounded could cause alot of static on the HF rx'er which aint very good. Thats why I suggested a dipole type antenna.

As for a wire antenna the inner core is the main wire (or goes to the inside of the connector) and the outside shield of coax thats if your using some goes to ground (outside connector on the rig) or not depending your location.
rationalgaze

Post by rationalgaze »

Yeah, i'd rather have something i can bolt in place with it still being able to cover all the bands. I was looking at this:

http://www.radioworld.co.uk/~radio/cata ... -4085.html

But again not really knowing what's what in HF i wasn't sure if it was worth the money or not.

Thanks, Craig.
68OD636

Post by 68OD636 »

I made a sort of dipole arrangement for my Realistic DX-394.
8m of RG58 coax with a PL259 on one end as usual.
End without plug through hole in shack ceiling into loft, cable tied up the joist to the apex of roof.
25m of twin speaker wire - one wire attached to coax centre, other to braid.
Each wire drawing pinned in opposite directions along apex of roof, the last bit of wire coiled around the cardbard centre of kitchen roll.
Instant dipole - works a treat - total cost less than a tenner :wink:
rationalgaze

Post by rationalgaze »

Haha, well, feel free to pop on down to Essex ;) Can't be doing with making such things, bit cack handed that way.
68OD636

Post by 68OD636 »

rationalgaze wrote:Haha, well, feel free to pop on down to Essex ;) Can't be doing with making such things, bit cack handed that way.
Don't think the cost of a plane ticket from Northern Ireland to make a wire antenna for you would go down too well with the XYL!!
Seriously, it's dead easy to make and gives decent results if you can be bothered - it's only 1 'S' point down on my Solarcon A99, & that's mounted on top of a 14 foot pole.
Well worth having a go!
As it's inside you could just tape the joints - go on have a go, surprise yourself!!
rationalgaze

Post by rationalgaze »

Think i'll give it a crack at some point, costs much less as well.
68OD636

Post by 68OD636 »

rationalgaze wrote:Think i'll give it a crack at some point, costs much less as well.
Got to be worth a go - why spend loads of money when you can have a go yourself?
Let us know how you get on!
fez
Veteran
Veteran

Post by fez »

dont be put off, It wont cost you alot like gaz has said. If it doesnt work you will still learn something. Just do it one step at a time.

Atleast you don't need to worry about weather or tuning the thing to transmit on.
rationalgaze

Post by rationalgaze »

If anybody has basic tutorial sites on such things they'd be appreciated also. Some diagrams or something, you get the idea!

Thanks, Craig.
fez
Veteran
Veteran

Post by fez »

google? took me less than a minute to find this.

http://www.geocities.com/n2uhc/dipole.html

Don't bother too much with dimensions as you just need it for rxin but try and get each arm roughly the same length.
68OD636

Post by 68OD636 »

fez wrote:... try and get each arm roughly the same length.
That's why I used speaker wire - it's 2 wires, when you split them exactly the same length.